PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Stamp duty on 2nd house? Confused

Options
2»

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    rover25 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how much I would have to pay in stamp duty on 2nd house costing £168k?
    Calculator telling me £5900 but sis in law who bought recently says that is wrong.
    She says they thought they would have to pay £4,500 on approx £140k property but that it was much much less.
    Thanks everyone

I take it you didn't get anywhere with your negative equity with ulster bank then? Just being nosy as I messaged you at the time
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wait ..why are you so rude? - Like the rudeness in expecting spoonfed answers to standard questions easily searchable on this forum and the actual stamp duty guidance, and getting grumpy when a poster pulls you up on it? I asked an innocent question in a relative thread and expected a concise answer. - YOU are expected to do some basic research atleast if you would like help. Why do you think anyone here has to live up to your expectations? However, you post a link that does not tell me exactly what I need to know - yes there is an exact example of only one of the joint owners being a FTB and try to edit my post in the process? I could go on about your insolence but I will say that if you can't provide the answer that I want then you are not forced to respond. - but they may respond.

Not everyone has time to trawl through old threads - Well then why expect someone else to take their time? You are the one that would like to know, so if anyone, you should be taking the time. and sometimes searches do not bring the correct information anyway. - But in this case it would have if you'd bothered to search Further more not everyone spends 24 hours on this board to know that it has been discussed up teem times so do not assume they know!- You don't have to spend 24hours, just type a couple of words in the search box and hit enter, to see the umpteen threads.

Since you would like the help, it would be nice if you were respectful of other people's time and tried to research yourself before shouting down other posters.
  • delicious11
    Options
    saajan_12 wrote: »
    Since you would like the help, it would be nice if you were respectful of other people's time and tried to research yourself before shouting down other posters.

As I said, I expected a concise answer and that has kindly been provided by lovinituk in this thread. The rudeness and lectures were not necessary. Since you value your time, the time you spent editing my post instead of simply replying concisely could have been put to better use don't you think?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    As I said, I expected a concise answer and that has kindly been provided by lovinituk in this thread. The rudeness and lectures were not necessary. Since you value your time, the time you spent editing my post instead of simply replying concisely could have been put to better use don't you think?

What is more concise than pointing you to the place you can find out the info?

It wasnt rude at all. Considering youre basically asking 'I have one property, and Im going to buy a SECOND property with my girlfriend, does SECOND property stamp duty apply??????'
  • delicious11
    Options
    What is more concise than pointing you to the place you can find out the info?

It wasnt rude at all. Considering youre basically asking 'I have one property, and Im going to buy a SECOND property with my girlfriend, does SECOND property stamp duty apply??????'

A simple 'yes' or 'no' answer would have sufficed. More concise than being given a link to a large 50 page document and my initial post being rudely edited.

What is the purpose of a public message board if people are not allowed to ask questions on a without being berated for not doing their research first?
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not everyone has time to trawl through old threads and sometimes searches do not bring the correct information anyway.
    I thought you didn't have time to search one of the simplest applications of the 3% stamp duty?

I guess you do have time to argue with other posters about their precise manner of helping.

You can expect all you like, if you're the one asking for help be greatful for people's efforts.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Perhaps a SDLT sticky at the top might be a good idea?

That way people can find their own answers without multiple variants of the same question constantly appearing.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure