PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Should we replace DG units before we market house?

Options
2»

Comments

• Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for replacing the failed units. It's cheap, they take about ten minutes max each to change and they dramatically improve the appearance of the room.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, I'd already looked at having just the glass replaced and have read mixed reviews about them.
    If and when we move I would never , ever have wooden units again.
    We had UPVC windows in the last 2 houses, and never had a problem with misting, both of the units in the properties were over 20 yrs old.
    The frames etc in this house were made by the joiners and the glass fitted by a local window firm, so no come back from anyone as I can't remember getting a guarantee but it doesn't really matter now as it is well over the house builders guarantee.
    Of the 4 houses built, at least 3 of them have now got some misting , just starting in them not sure what they are going to do about them.
    I might ask another d.g. Firm how much they would quote to replace the glass, not impressed now as the 3/4 glass in oneof the French Windows has started misting.:(
    The wooden frames are in good condition, have been repainted twice in 13yrs but are due to be touched up again this year, hopefully just the windowsills need doing.
    I don't think it is a small job replacing the glass, frames dismantled and possibly damaged and so will probably need repainting.

My OH. Keeps telling me to stop worrying but that's me I'm afraid.
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    If and when we move I would never , ever have wooden units again.
    We had UPVC windows in the last 2 houses, and never had a problem with misting, both of the units in the properties were over 20 yrs old.
    Are glazing units I wooden frames more likely to fail then? I think you might need a bigger sample size than three houses to show that conclusively. I've seen plenty of failed units with UPVC frames and 20-year-old timber frames with no problems.
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    Casper, you're probably right, I think it's just that I'm fed up with the situation.
    This is our 9th and most expensive house so far, otherwise beautifully crafted and ironically the one we've lived in longest.

My husband actually measured and had made an extra 4 extra Plastic windows in our last house, but he's not so keen on having new glass fitted in our wooden frames, he just doesn't believe they can get the seals right.
    Perhaps I can persuade him to try a small window, not sure about Rain Shadow's 10min though.
    It'll take longer than that to remove the beading.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    Casper, you're probably right, I think it's just that I'm fed up with the situation.
    This is our 9th and most expensive house so far, otherwise beautifully crafted and ironically the one we've lived in longest.

My husband actually measured and had made an extra 4 extra Plastic windows in our last house, but he's not so keen on having new glass fitted in our wooden frames, he just doesn't believe they can get the seals right.
    Perhaps I can persuade him to try a small window, not sure about Rain Shadow's 10min though.
    It'll take longer than that to remove the beading.
    No, you are right. I was thinking uPVC where the beading pops out in thirty seconds. Sorry.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    We bought our house two years ago. It had wooden window frames and many of the panes were misted.

We new we could just replace the blown panes quite cheaply, but we chose to replace all the DG, doors, guttering and roofline. The style and colour was crucial to us. I would have been disappointed if I had had to live with someone else's choice for the next 20 years. (We went for slim profile frames in anthracite grey. They look amazing)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure