PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone have a wool duvet?

Comments

• Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I'm thinking that maybe I'd be better off with a light one as I get hot easily during the night, not helped by the onset of menopause. I currently use a 4 tog summer quilt even during the winter.

Does anyone else use a light one? Are they sufficiently warm enough?

Mine is a light one! When I first got it, I thought it wouldn't be warm enough.... its cool when it's hot and warm when the weather turns cold.Snuggles round me and it's like sleeping in warm cuddle...magical!

Hope that helps,
    Caz
    Saving for another hound :j
    :staradmin from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 £1211, SPC 8 £1027 SPC 7 £937.24, SPC 6 £973.4 SPC 5 £1949, SPC 4 £904.67 SPC 4 £980.27
  • I didn`t need to buy an actual wool mattress topper, in fact I didn`t know they made one so thick. Mine is a mattress protector but the top is soft and filled with wool so is very comfortable.

The lower tog one is surprisingly thin and good for half the year. The other half year I tend to use the higher tog one on its own but the two together come into their own if we get a winter that is very cold for quite a while. I love it when the flannel duvet cover is on, like going to bed in a warm cloud
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Loanranger wrote: »
    I use my down duvets as mattress toppers. In the summer I use the winter duvets underneath to sleep on, and in the winter I use the summer duvets underneath to sleep on. Saves on storage space. I have a collection of down duvets, one dating back to 1980 which I still use.
    I think mattress toppers are a waste of money.

I'd be far too hot sleeping on a down filled duvet in the summer - I've even had to take my silk filled mattress topper off!

Mattress toppers are great if you end up inadvertently buying a firmer mattress than you'd really like, as we did. We also used to take it on holiday with us as gites and holiday cottages are often equiped with mattresses you could bounce a tennis ball off and beds with slats rather than sprung divans!
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    oh dear! re the dry cleaning missbiggles. That is one thing I never do, those fumes and chemicals plus expense. I have tried various mattress toppers starting with memory foam, big mistake as I got hotter and hotter and hated the smell from the foam. I tried qvc northern nights topper made from feathers and was good for a month or so, when the feathers started breaking and clumping. Now I just use the woolroom mattress topper/bed protector and I get perfect temperature control and comfort. I just love pure wool. The pillows are a revelation. They are filled with little curly bits and you can take out and add if you want to change pillow height. I also love the fact that they are not allergenic and I easily wash them on a cool wool wash in my machine

Yes woolroom are expensive but I did get what I paid for and I like to buy British too

I can't remember the last time I had anything that needed dry cleaning but everything I've read on many websites states that you'll ruin a silk filled duvet or mattress topper if you try to wash it in any way, unfortunately.:(
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I can't remember the last time I had anything that needed dry cleaning but everything I've read on many websites states that you'll ruin a silk filled duvet or mattress topper if you try to wash it in any way, unfortunately.:(

(not sure if you've already read it)

This suggests you don't need to wash it or dry clean - just leave it in direct sunlight whenever possible

http://www.purelivingcollection.com/style/how-to-clean-a-silk-duvet.html
    A properly covered silk duvet should not require cleaning under normal conditions of use. Unlike duvets with a feather and down filling, silk-filled duvets are free from dust mites and as you don't perspire when using them they should not require thorough cleaning. We recommend that the duvet is regularly aired outside on a sunny day without a duvet cover for a minimum of 2 hours, 2 to 3 times a year. This has the effect of cleaning and purifying the silk floss.

Do not dry-clean your silk duvet as silk should not be cleaned with any form of chemical cleaner (such as those used in dry cleaning processes). Chemicals will not only affect the silks natural properties but also cause it to harden, thus reducing its softness.

Additionally, although dry cleaning fluids evaporate readily at low temperatures it is impossible to ensure that traces of cleaning chemicals do not remain on a cleaned article, even after thorough airing. The surface area of silk within even within the 200g lightweight silk duvet is immense, and it will be inevitable that some traces of cleaning chemicals will be retained on the surface of the silk fibres.

Washing your silk duvet, whether in a machine or by hand, may cause the silk to lose some of its natural properties. Neither do we recommend you wring or tumble dry your silk duvet.

Treat localised spillages immediately by wiping the affected area with a clean white damp cloth. If the spillage has penetrated through to the silk floss, delicately hand wash the affected area only using luke warm water (maximum 30º Centigrade) and a non-biological detergent suitable for washing woollens, then rinse thoroughly using cold water.
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 September 2016 at 5:47PM
    ariarnia wrote: »
    (not sure if you've already read it)

This suggests you don't need to wash it or dry clean - just leave it in direct sunlight whenever possible

http://www.purelivingcollection.com/style/how-to-clean-a-silk-duvet.html

Thank you for that.

Unfortunately it says "under normal usage" and my husband was very unwell for the couple of years after we bought it so it wasn't really that situation.
  • ariarnia
    ariarnia Posts: 4,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you for that.

Unfortunately it says "under normal usage" and my husband was very unwell for years for the couple of years after we bought it so it wasn't really that situation.

I think that's why I went for wool - Having two tiny one's in the house, my priority isn't keeping things (even expensive things) pristine :o

I got very practical, very quickly, when it comes to just shoving things in the washing machine - No whites left in this house that aren't a faint pinky colour and OH was quickly brought around to the idea of no-iron shirts ;)
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?

Please consider buying some pet food and giving it to your local food bank collection or animal charity. Animals aren't to blame for the cost of living crisis.
  • missbiggles1
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ariarnia wrote: »
    I think that's why I went for wool - Having two tiny one's in the house, my priority isn't keeping things (even expensive things) pristine :o

I got very practical, very quickly, when it comes to just shoving things in the washing machine - No whites left in this house that aren't a faint pinky colour and OH was quickly brought around to the idea of no-iron shirts ;)

We converted to the idea that wrinkles fall out with body heat many years ago - in fact I recently lost the iron for 6 months and still haven't used it since I found it.:o:)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 September 2016 at 7:45PM
    Another vote for Baavet here; we have three in the house. I've had mine for 3 years, a lightweight one that does me all year round. OH has a heavyweight, being a Cold Mortal at night, and DD1 a medium-weight. All much loved, and considered money very well spent after years of constantly replacing nasty disintegrating polyester ones, which started off reasonably warm then went downhill. DS3 prefers feather & down, which we also own a number of, and DD2 has - everything! 3 duvets on her bed last seen, one of them a 4-season feather one, two thick old wool blankets and a number of fleece blankets. She's not taking any chances with our resident drafts...

I did wonder whether the sheepy smell might disturb OH to start with; DD1 & I are both spinners & the smell of fleece is a delight to us (although I too can't wear wool next to my skin) but we do know that not everyone greets it with glee. However I think he's accustomed to mine & never even noticed it.
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • gran3
    gran3 Posts: 239
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have a cashmere duvet, not as flash as it sounds, lol, but bought it from Tesco direct after using one at my son's house. Very light, warm but not too heavy and hot and great in the summer. Lightweight but cool. It wasn't anymore than you'd spend on a non synthetic one. Great buy. Just another option to consider.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure