Has Marks and Spencer refused you a refund? Post details here.

Comments

• Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi,
    Im really shocked today by M &S customer services. I recently purchased a pair of per una velour PJs cost 35 pounds:eek: I had a pair two years ago and they are still going strong and are the most comfortable and warm clothes I possess. They was brilliantly, tumble dry in a few minutes so in my opinion well worth buying a second pair. The new pair were a disaster. I washed them the first time with a normal load of clothes only to find the whole load covered in fluff. I washed them a second time and tumble dried them according to instructions and they blocked up the vent and the filter. Im surprised the dryer did not set itself on fire!! Anyway I took said fluff off PJs and PJs back. They refused to give me a refund, inferring the fluff was off other clothes - even though it was the exact colour of the fabric. They said they had not been told of a fault and that velour fabric should not shed so much fluff - my point exactly they are faulty. Anyway they willsend them off for forensic examination - including fluff. If there is a problem then I can have my money back:eek::mad:

What do I do in the meantime - it takes 28 days. No replacement PJs for me. And their attitude - well I wont get back there in a hurry. Very disappointing. Sorry for the long post - rant over
    Molly
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Molly41 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im really shocked today by M &S customer services. I recently purchased a pair of per una velour PJs cost 35 pounds:eek: I had a pair two years ago and they are still going strong and are the most comfortable and warm clothes I possess. They was brilliantly, tumble dry in a few minutes so in my opinion well worth buying a second pair. The new pair were a disaster. I washed them the first time with a normal load of clothes only to find the whole load covered in fluff. I washed them a second time and tumble dried them according to instructions and they blocked up the vent and the filter. Im surprised the dryer did not set itself on fire!! Anyway I took said fluff off PJs and PJs back. They refused to give me a refund, inferring the fluff was off other clothes - even though it was the exact colour of the fabric. They said they had not been told of a fault and that velour fabric should not shed so much fluff - my point exactly they are faulty. Anyway they willsend them off for forensic examination - including fluff. If there is a problem then I can have my money back:eek::mad:

What do I do in the meantime - it takes 28 days. No replacement PJs for me. And their attitude - well I wont get back there in a hurry. Very disappointing. Sorry for the long post - rant over
    Molly

Thats really bad customer service! They should have (if they didn't believe you) not said no for a refund- they should have offered to send them off first. I am not sure how far this rule spans but I used to work for a different high street store in the head office. If such a problem happened, like this or a dye-run where other clothes in a machine were ruined, the customer not only got their cash back, they also were compensated for what else was damaged in the machine- check your drier is in workable condition and any damaged clothes I would have thought should also be replaced.

Think of it as 28 days to make sure your drier is working perfectly!
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    dmg24 wrote: »
    You can if you have their express authority.

There is a big difference using a strangers card and using your parents/ partners card, and with chip and pin who is to know?!

The shop assistant. I work in a shop and granted, with chip and pin you don't always know as the person can be shoving the card in the machine before you have the chance to look, but sometimes you do see, and in a case like that I wouldn't allow a person to use that card: they could be anyone, and that card could be anyone's. If any query came up later about the transaction and it came to light that I had known, I could lose my job and it could be tantamount to fraud. I wouldn't take that risk.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    InaPickle wrote: »
    The shop assistant. I work in a shop and granted, with chip and pin you don't always know as the person can be shoving the card in the machine before you have the chance to look, but sometimes you do see, and in a case like that I wouldn't allow a person to use that card: they could be anyone, and that card could be anyone's. If any query came up later about the transaction and it came to light that I had known, I could lose my job and it could be tantamount to fraud. I wouldn't take that risk.

Why have you picked up on a post that is two years old? :confused:

In answer to your rather belated response, you do not understand the legal position regarding refunds. Perhaps you could ask for further training on the issue, so as not to make this mistake in future?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 31 December 2012 at 12:41AM
    dmg24 wrote: »
    Why have you picked up on a post that is two years old? :confused:

In answer to your rather belated response, you do not understand the legal position regarding refunds. Perhaps you could ask for further training on the issue, so as not to make this mistake in future?

1) I was just looking in the 'new threads' section last night when this one came up. I thought it looked interesting so I took a peek. At that point I didn't realise this part of the post was so old, and only realised after I'd replied. I coudn't see that the thread was so long at that point. Honest mistake.

2) With regard to refunds, I haven't made a mistake. I'm fully aware about when to issue a refund and when not. This paragraph makes no sense. I assuming that by your second paragraph you mean that I've made a mistake about issuing refunds on other people's cards in which case, to the best of my knowledge, the rules about who is using the card still stand: the person who owns the card should be present, otherwise the person issuing the refund should not give it (if they have proof they are allowed to use the card they should show it.), as it is leaving you wide open to criticism at best, potential accusations of fraud at worst. In short, it is harder for a shop assistant to tell you are using someone else's card when using chip and pin if you shove the card in the machine before they have a look and the machine doesn't ask you to swipe it (that sometimes happens), but if someone is using someone else's card and the shop assistant sees it, they are perfectly within their rights to refuse to accept payment via the card in order to protect the customer, the owner of the card and themself.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• M&S refused to give me a full refund today on a pack of two bras that I paid £20 for they offered me £9 which is the last price of these bras in their sale even though I had a receipt with the amount of £20 as the price that I had paid. Why can they do this :mad:
  • squoog
    squoog Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    suetrim wrote: »
    M&S refused to give me a full refund today on a pack of two bras that I paid £20 for they offered me £9 which is the last price of these bras in their sale even though I had a receipt with the amount of £20 as the price that I had paid. Why can they do this :mad:
    Were you within the 35 days?
  • I got refused a refund for a jacket reduced from 69 to 35 pounds. When I returned it as it didn't fit my daughter (and incidentally had a small and rather insignificant pull in the fabric) they offered 17.00 the last known selling price of that line. When I complained to the Manager of Shoreham branch of M&S, he acknowledged that he knew I was right about the size 10's and 12's all being sold out prior to the price reduction and thus only available to customers at £35 but without the receipt, nothing he could do. I know they were all sold out because I tried on line to get a 12 as I thought the 10 might not fit, but they were all sold out of all sizes except 6. Presumably they sold the last few size 6's for 17.00 - their records will tell them should they wish to check! (Of course they do not wish to check).
    I suggest M&S reduce the last one of everything they sell to 1p. That way, when people try to return them after Christmas, they can save nearly a hundred per cent on returns, for people who cannot produce the receipt. WOT a WHEEZE!!!!!
    NOTE: the receipt is NOT the only proof of purchase but the Manager suggested to me that the receipt is the only proof of purchase they will accept. I think this is not legitimate and could be challenged in the courts. This dreadful shortcut by M&S is losing my custom I shall not be encouraging anyone I know to shop there now. It used to be a gold standard for Christmas presents. THIS IS DEFINITELY NO LONGER THE CASE.
  • jicms
    jicms Posts: 482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 December 2011 at 12:54AM
    I was forced to accept a £50 credit voucher for goods bought and returned to an M&S outlet store a long way from home. It was in the form of a faded receipt which I put to one side until such time I was somewhere near an outlet store.

I've now discovered it was only valid for a year and recently expired. Customer Services didn't want to know and referred me to their terms and conditions. They also said it could have been used in any store which they later said was a misunderstanding and it did have to be spent in an outlet.

I'm pretty upset as I've effectively made a donation to M&S. I was very surprised and disappointed at their attitide and have had much better customer service in less highly respected stores. It's not as if they were giving me anything for nothing. With hindsight if only I'd kept the item, at least I could have sold it on Ebay!

Any views on whether I can challenge this and can retailers write anything they like into their terms and conditions?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jicms wrote: »
    I was forced to accept a £50 credit voucher for goods bought and returned to an M&S outlet store a long way from home. It was in the form of a faded receipt which I put to one side until such time I was somewhere near an outlet store.

I've now discovered it was only valid for a year and recently expired. Customer Services didn't want to know and referred me to their terms and conditions. They also said it could have been used in any store which they later said was a misunderstanding and it did have to be spent in an outlet.

?

Are you really serious? You had something for over a year before returning and then wonder why M&S have "only" given you a credit voucher for £50. What are they meant to do with it after so long?

I think you were lucky to get the £50 voucher.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure