Reality Check...

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 May 2016 at 10:20AM
    I love buying my girls clothes. I always have had to take them shopping, as I have very different taste than they do. One is sporty, one is tailored and one is a bit trendy but now scaling back to classic and adding fashionable accessories. . My boys could care less. All are grown and gone (save one) so I seldom get to shop with them anymore. sigh

My dog has gone to the same groomer every six weeks since he was 6 months old...he's now 13 yrs.
    He has definitely had many more salon visits than moi in that time! sigh

I love that your daughter is getting to travel. My girls have made this a priority. My boys have not. One son wouldn't even go on our two week trip, to Israel, to see his sister graduate from medical school. Too far, too long...
    Traveling really broadens the mind. Well not my oldest when she (age14yrs) went to visit her uncle in Guatemala for the summer. I just knew she would be impacted by the people, culture, food etc. She came back and wanted to know why we didn't have a cook and a gardener like her uncle. :p

Do enjoy your long weekend! I'm hoping the weather is wonderful for you. Sunny skies!!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • reality_check
    reality_check Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 May 2016 at 6:11PM
    Yeah I am all for travelling! I was cabin crew with Emirates for years that allowed me to travel and see the world that I wouldn't have been able to do....no matter how many credit cards I had!!

Every 6 weeks...I am moaning at every 3 months...£40 this week and £10 on fresh bits of food is my aim for the week! Def going to be leaving my purse at home to rid off any temptations, no matter how small.

I have had a lovely long weekend, especially with the good weather we have been having. Ended up at a BBQ last night and drank one to many glasses of wine I have had a banging headache all day! Lay in the garden, done a few washings but not much else. I have had my bedding outside drying so can't wait to get into bed tonight, fresh bed sheets that have been hung outside to dry...cant get much better!

My free Hotel Chocolat's arrived over the weekend, so going to get into bed and eat them and watch Better Call Saul tonight.

I spent £5 on a taxi home last night, just under £10 in Home Bargains on bleach, oven cleaner and fabric softener and also £30 in Homebase on hanging baskets, a pot of lavender and weed killer. All not essential, but £5 on a night out is better than a night in town, I do need to clean and the flowers have brightened up the garden. I spent an absolute fortune on artificial grass when I moved here and a few weeds come through every now and again so was told if it happens, pull them out and spray on weed killer....better work!!

Also, speaking to my sister earlier and she was saying about going away to a caravan for a few nights with my mum and dad and her and her kids. I really could think of a million other places I would rather go/spend my money but will keep them all happy and I will enjoy it when I am there. Works out at £150 each Friday, Sat, Sun and home on Monday.

Can't be bothered with work tomorrow, but I am glad it's a 4 day week. Off to make something for dinner, shower and get in bed. Gym in the morning so a 5.30 alarm call...!! xx
    Starting debt £18,675.63 :eek:
    Current debt: £5,000 (16/05/18)
  • So my phone smashed last night!! This is all karma because I shouldn't have been out in the first place!! I made fishcakes for dinner with salad, and then my daughter said how chips from the chip shop would go nicely with it...so I am blaming her!! Coming out of the car my mobile slipped out my hand and cracked the screen!!! I did have a cover on it, clearly not a good one. So annoyed!! Apparently there is a shop that fixes it for £25, but speaking to people in work they claim it will be more expensive, so just need to wait and see.

£40 for the haircut cost me £44.50 because my daughter decided to buy him a toy, like he needs anymore!! Also spent £5.50 on those chips, and then £2 on my card in work as forgot breakfast and lunch so £2 for coffee and porridge and will need to buy lunch too.

I have been up since half 4!! Woke up wide awake. Before work I have...put a washing on and hung it up outside, steam mopped all the floors, emptied a dishwasher, wiped down all the kitchen cupboards, quickly wiped over the bathroom, put a slow cooker on with some chicken in pasata/herbs to havr tonight with pasta, took the dog out a run and had a shower then left! I will be sleeping come lunch time!!

Called Amazon last Thursday, logged complaint (again) was promised a call back...still nothing! Will give them a call at lunch but I am sure I will be fobbed off! I might create a Twitter account and try create some bad press lol xx
  • reality_check
    £4.30 spent on lunch and wasn't even nice - that will teach me to remember my stuff! This is a one off as I now 95% bring lunch with me, just annoyed it didn't even taste good. Prawn salad from M&S - not recommended!!
  • milasavesmoney
    Oh my! Worst luck! Hopefully the people at work aren't right. £25 wouldn't be too bad.

We buy our silky small stuffed animals at the thrift center (charity shop) for so cheap. I just throw them in the wash before giving them to him. Even at discount stores the price is just ridiculous for dog toys.
    The price of grooming your dog is double the cost here where I live. Wow!

It's amazing what you accomplished before work. You did a full day's work before work. :T

I had a stupid dream about some boy I went to high school with and woke up mad and tired.
    I'm trying to perk up and get on with my day. I need to get things ready as my DS3 and his girlfriend are arriving tomorrow for the weekend. One of his friends is getting married on Saturday. He was just hired at a job that is 2 1/2 xs his current salary and he can work from home. He's about to take the GRE for admission to a Masters program in Public Health. His BS is in anthropology. I didn't think he was ever going to grow up...he was in a band for a few years>gunna be a rock star....;)

What a great experience having a job that allowed you to see so many places. You must have some interesting stories!
    [Regina Brett]
  • reality_check
    I would probably get banned from this site if I started sharing those stories :rotfl:

Dog toys just get ripped apart! He doesn't like normal hard wearing dog toys, likes soft stuffed toys to rip apart and leave a trail of destruction behind him!! He has one toy he loves, a Peppa pig toy that talks and when he has it all you hear is "I'm a little princess" enough to drive you insane :mad: until I take it off him!

What wonderful news about your son and his new job!! You definitely have a clever family! Shame about his rock star dream lol and it's nice that he will be home for the weekend...I love a wedding.

I am back in money saving action, well I don't have much choice as I have no money! Brought everything with me to work, got stuff in for dinner and I am close to my overdraft! This will be the first month probably since I got credit cards and overdrafts 16 years ago that I haven't used them!! Fingers crossed I get to the 15th without adding to my debt and long may it last!!! The key is giving yourself a spending budget I feel and realistic budgets for the other essentials, this is where I went wrong at the start. Thinking it was possible to not spend a money on myself, not do anything and live on beans. I will work on building up an EF soon....xx
  • milasavesmoney
    You have really made so much progress. I think it's going to be fun for you after you have been at this awhile and you read back through your diary. Things that seemed so hard in the beginning will be an integral vital part of how you live your life. It does become easier and your self esteem grows in a different direction>>>financial shrewdness and spending savvy.
    [Regina Brett]
  • reality_check
    Went to the beach last night with my mum and dad and the dog and bought us all fish and chips and an ice cream, cost me £25 which is nearly the last of my personal spending...have £25 left but I need eyebrows waxed at £10 (unless I can do some DIY and put it off although I doubt it) but I am thinking it should be ok...Still have minimum food and petrol budget so that is covered....I'm def getting better!! :dance:

My friend sent a message about a pair of walking boots she has, she got them last year but never got around to walking lol and then tried them on yesterday and don't fit! She is a size 5 and I am a size 4 so if they fit I think I will take them....I am not seeing her until the weekend after pay day so that will be covered from next months personal spending money and my new fitness plan is to get into hill walking! They are so ugly looking these walking shoes and other than the gym I live in 4-5 inch heels because I'm only 5'2 and I appreciate a nice shoe, these do not appeal!

Also I have something I am going to save for...and don't judge me....I'm saving up for Botox. I have been getting it for the past 5 years and will be due a top up around Christmas time which is about £350 for 3 areas so with 7 more pays until then I need to put away £50 a month. In debt but wanting Botox...just when you all thought I was sounding like I was getting my s**t together :rotfl: but anyway I am vain I admit it and a planned spend is better than a credit card job like the old me.

Happy Friday everyone! xxx
  • p.s I have have taken £20 from the petrol budget and £10 from food to cover my phone smash...hopefully!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well done on not spending on the credit cards so far this month.

I love this quote of yours:
    The key is giving yourself a spending budget I feel and realistic budgets for the other essentials, this is where I went wrong at the start. Thinking it was possible to not spend a money on myself, not do anything and live on beans. I will work on building up an EF soon....xx
    I think we need to go around shouting to people that you don't need to lead a life of poverty to pay back debt - all in moderation.

As for Botox:eek: - not for the spends as that is your business and if budgeted for and affordable what's the issue but more for the injections and the fear of it going wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure