Bicycle Insurance & Security.

Options
Hi all,

Hoping to get some good advise on here after the previous advise i got when choosing a hybrid.

I share a home with someone else just now and the house is in their name. They don't have contents insurance so i can't add my bike to it.

I'm looking to take out insurance to cover my bike(s) in the event they're stolen. I'm looking to insure 2 bicycles.

Boardman Hybrid Pro and GT Avalanche 1.0 for both around £1400.

I done a few basic quotes online and the cheapest i could find was £130 per year which is a bit more than i'd like to pay. Anything under £100 would be ideal.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how / where to get better deals? I still need to check the links on the British Cycling page as i recently became a member but i've no experience if the discounted rates there are only from specific people etc.

Also, do most bicycle insurance policies limit the type of lock / place where the bike can be kept? Ideally it would be locked in my shed which is fairly secure overnight and in there it would be chained to other bicycles.
During the day it would be locked up outside my work under CCTV.

I'm looking at using this lock as it's one of the few than bolt cutters or a hacksaw would have a difficult time with

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/abus-bordo-6000-folding-lock/rp-prod89014

Any advice or suggestions most welcome :)
All your base are belong to us.

Comments

• Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    ..I share a home with someone else just now and the house is in their name. They don't have contents insurance so i can't add my bike to it......
    Usually very foolish unless they really have little of value that can be considered to be house contents.

Most people would be surprised if they added up the value and replacement cost of all their possessions.

Have you considered getting your own contents insurance and including your bikes on it?
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    My household contents insurance cost £99pa in February this year. To add my electric bike (cost £650) was £1.50 extra in July. That's with Saga.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • I put my bike on the contents insurance, I'd be very surprised if your bikes are the only things you have of any value in the house. The insurer will usually require that the bike is locked to something 'immovable', but bear in mind that it's unlikely the insurance will cover any luggage on the bike, in my case that's worth significantly more than the bike.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I find this very strange. £130 to insure £1400-worth of bike. I don't pay much more than that to insure my car which is worth around double your bikes. Even in the case of simple replacement for theft, the figures don't add up. Then there is the tens of thousands of pounds' worth of damage my car could cause to other vehicles in an accident, and the millions the insurers might have to pay out in the event of a death or serious injury as a result of my driving. All for a measly (and approximate) £180.

What's the risk to the bicycle insurer? Full payment following outright theft, and perhaps a small claim for damages from the pedestrian you hit. It's nothing like the risk of insuring a car on today's roads, and yet they want to charge about the same? I'm baffled.

When I last did bike insurance it was through the CTC and cost me (I think) a fiver a year, probably early 80s. You might check them out.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    What's the risk to the bicycle insurer? Full payment following outright theft, and perhaps a small claim for damages from the pedestrian you hit. It's nothing like the risk of insuring a car on today's roads, and yet they want to charge about the same? I'm baffled.

All i can think is the insurance companies think 'cos a bike is a lot easier to steal more of them must go missing.
    Comp insurance on my Fiesta was under £300, but when i asked about an electric bike cover it was going to be a lot more.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • dandelionclock30
    Options
    Get house insurance with your flat mate and stick the bikes on that, mine was free for the bikes and they are both reasonable. One cost £700 and the other £1050. I got a deal where the house; buildings and contents and the bikes cost me a little over a hundred pounds a year!
    Some specific cycle insurers such as Cycleguard have a very bad reputation for not paying out. Just google them.
    Marks and Spencers also has a good repuation where bikes and house insurance are concerned.
    The best thing though is to ensure they are not stolen in the first place.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My twice bikes are covered under my contents insurance which is under £100 a year, one bike cost £1900 and the other £1200.
  • Retrogamer
    Options
    It's a high crime area apparently here.
    My car insurance is about £700 here and that's with 6 years NCB

The home insurance is a no goer i'm afraid The cheapest quote we could get here was just under £300 per year and he's not interested in splitting it.
    I do a lot of traveling as well and most of my assets are stored elsewhere so not really worth it for me as not sure how long i'll be staying here.

Just wondering if anyone had any good experience specifically with bicycle insurance and getting the price down or what not.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport