Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Comments

• When I last posted on here telling you that I had solar panels installed free by Homesun and I sung there praises I got, well I wouldn't exactly say abused and insulted, but lets just say people on here disagreed with me quite strongly! There were some of you (the minority) that were interested in what I had to say and wanted to know my findings, well its still early days but what I can tell you is in the period of June - Sept 2010 I used 879kWh and in the corresponding period this year with solar panels is 485kWh.

There you are, a saving, no matter how much (although pretty good) and yes it was the summer months (they were !!!!!!). Bottom line is I paid nowt but saved plenty.

Ta
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 November 2011 at 3:26PM
    Joseph90 wrote: »
    ... Bottom line is I paid nowt but saved plenty ...
    Hi

Somewhere around £40 over four summer months then, so maybe online for a £80 to £100 saving for a year ? .... which would be inline with what others with pv, whether owned or R-A-R, would reasonably expect ....

I've just reviewed the earlier posts and I think that you were quite unfortunate to start posting at a time when there were a number of posts elsewhere on the forum, as well as other places, claiming outrageous consumption savings as being readily acheiveable, possibly even suggesting that they were the norm (~£225-£400), and this was not being countered, and was even being encouraged, by representatives of the industry themselves ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Yut_Man
    Yut_Man Posts: 139 Forumite
    Sorry to hear you got abused joseph. I am relatively new to these forums so didnt witness the matter. I brought my panels so its a bit different but I would like to hear about other peoples findings in other situations. Ignore the whiners there are quite a few here. once you bring money and politics into a discussion the facts are soon lost.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 November 2011 at 6:01PM
    Since 1st July 2010: Generated 3808 kWh, Exported 2149kWh, therefore used 1659 kWh.

System is 2960kWp

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Joseph90 wrote: »
    When I last posted on here telling you that I had solar panels installed free by Homesun and I sung there praises I got, well I wouldn't exactly say abused and insulted, but lets just say people on here disagreed with me quite strongly! There were some of you (the minority) that were interested in what I had to say and wanted to know my findings, well its still early days but what I can tell you is in the period of June - Sept 2010 I used 879kWh and in the corresponding period this year with solar panels is 485kWh.

There you are, a saving, no matter how much (although pretty good) and yes it was the summer months (they were !!!!!!). Bottom line is I paid nowt but saved plenty.

Ta

Likewise I have reviewed the posts.

I think the problem you faced for a rather 'hostile' reception was because of the many posts critical your chosen firm - Homesun and your firm endorsement of the firm.

They had introduced a £500 fee and £5 monthly maintenance fee for some of their Rent a Roof clients.(I appreciate you didn't pay) This was justified on the grounds of huge potential savings.

Indeed the Homesun representative(Krish) on MSE quoted a figure of £226 annual saving. It turned out that this was derived from figure given to him by a customer of £4.35 a week in summer. By the simple method of multiplying £4.35 by 52 he came up with £226 pa!

Your reduction in consumption of just under 400kWh over a summer is, if attributable to the panels, entirely in line with the EST estimates, and entirely out of line with with the savings Homesun apparently led many clients to believe were normal.

Would you have still gone ahead with installation now knowing your probable annual saving?

If so, you will be happy, but I suggest a lot of clients would be disappointed.
  • iaingra
    iaingra Posts: 17 Forumite
    Since 1st July 2010: Generated 3808 kWh, Exported 2149kWh, therefore used 1659 kWh.

System is 2960kWp

Dave F

Excellent, a yearly average of 2856kwh, equivelant to 3808kwh for a 4kwp system. I acknowledge these figures will be slanted as the 16 month period covers nearly two summers but it shows that my estimation of 3300kwh for fitting a 4kwp sytem to my house should be acheivable (roof orientation is ideal).

Iain
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    iaingra wrote: »
    Excellent, a yearly average of 2856kwh, equivelant to 3808kwh for a 4kwp system. I acknowledge these figures will be slanted as the 16 month period covers nearly two summers but it shows that my estimation of 3300kwh for fitting a 4kwp sytem to my house should be acheivable (roof orientation is ideal).

Iain

Depends where you are in the Country, but 3300 seems low for an ideally situated 4kWp. 3800 should be achievable in South.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mjm3346 wrote: »
    Only if the "old tariff" continues to transfer to the new owner. Using the tariff that applies at the time of a transfer of ownership would be one way to cut short the need to pay the high tariff for 25 years.

That would certainly seem an option that could make sense and a way to cut costs while maintaining the guarantee to the original owner who installed them. Not so good for the free install companies though.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    jimjames wrote: »
    That would certainly seem an option that could make sense and a way to cut costs while maintaining the guarantee to the original owner who installed them. Not so good for the free install companies though.
    Hi

With the R-A-R installations the 'owner' is the 'R-A-R' scheme operator, therefore, although title on a property with a R-A-R installation would change when someone sells their house, the FiT registration & entitlement wouldn't, but there would still be a legal obligation on the new owner to continue with the 25 year contract or pay a considerable sum to exit the contract if they decide to do so ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew wrote: »

Would you have still gone ahead with installation now knowing your probable annual saving?

If so, you will be happy, but I suggest a lot of clients would be disappointed.

Yes I most certainly would have, as I have had to say on numerous occasions, I have not paid a single penny for the installation but have so far saved £40-50 in four summer months and in this sad stressful financial climate we are presently living in this amounts to a safe conservative saving prediction of at least £100 over 12 months.

Every penny counts!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport