Any car breakdown cover for cars over 10 years old?

liamcov
liamcov Posts: 614
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 28 March 2013 at 12:40PM in Motoring
Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

For full information on vehicle breakdown cover, see the main website's Cheap Car Breakdown Cover Insurance guide.

Back to the original post...

All the good offers seem to restrict it to cars that are up to 10 years but mine is 15 years, is there anything available or won't it be worth it?

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    AutoAid is a good company, widely recommended on this site ( and by me, I use it ! )

I'm not aware of any age restrictions, as long as it's an "ordinary" car. 38 quid covers you and spouse to drive any car. It's a "pay and reclaim" policy - if you break down, you pay the breakdown company and claim the cost back from AutoAid. I've only ever had to use them once ( thankfully ! ), but there was absolutely no hassle. You can either phone your own preferred garage, or phone AutoAid and they'll send a local recovery firm to get you. What I found was nice, they towed me to the garage near my home, rather than just the nearest garage to where I had broken down, which made life a lot easier. Sent the receipt off to AutoAid, got a cheque back within a few days. No problem.
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can have normal AA or RAC cover, but you need to pay a little extra for personal cover rather than vehicle cover. Insurance choice will cover cars up to 16 years old for £39. I'm with them - its particularly good for the money as it includes nationwide recovery/onward travel. Although they've recently changed their prices - used to be only £29 regardless of age.

http://www.icbreakdown.co.uk/compare.php
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    there are loads out there at first glance -

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/roadsiderescue/RoadsideResults.asp?DetailsID=3850049

I'm with ICbreakdown, my car is 10 years old. I've called them out once so far, on Christmas Eve morning, very impressed with the speed and service.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    Forumite
    I also have RAC personal membership

My oldest car is over 50 years old. It broke down once and they sorted without any issues.

If you use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to buy membership it won't break the bank.
  • Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Trouble is though, Gloomendoom, you would have to shop at Tesco, in order to get the vouchers. ;)
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I have AA cover which covers me for 5 x £500 claims on their own warranty in one year!! Excellent!!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    I've had RAC cover paid with Tesco Clubcard points and had no problem with them coming out to my 25 year old Capri and my Dads 40 year old Morris Minor.
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    We asked the RAC the same question and they said as long as you had more than the most basic cover it did not matter how old the car is.
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    my xsara is 12. so had to get personal cover from the RAC.. not fussed as im covered whoever's car im in..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550
    Forumite
    Flyboy152 wrote: »
    Trouble is though, Gloomendoom, you would have to shop at Tesco, in order to get the vouchers. ;)

I rarely go in the place. My wife however...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure