Budget Wars - A New Hope (with apologies to George Lucas)

Comments

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 25 December 2016 at 9:46PM
    Hey Guys

First time online today. Completely unheard of!

Well our christmas day started at 2.30 when DS came into our room thinking it was morning. Packed him off to bed but he couldn't settle so at 4.30 OH when in with him and he slept till 5.30. By 6 christmas was underway!
    DD has been going up and down in temperature since yesterday and isnt very happy at all.

That said, the new item that DH assembled by head torch last night has gone over very well, and we managed an hour of unwrapping this morning.

Ever the skintflint I enjoyed lighting the 7 liquid tea lights left for me by a craft fair stall holder I hosted a few weeks ago. Lighting a different tea light (pushing the boat out) in the expensive looking glass lantern I wombled from the kerbside last year. And playing in the garden with a football we found at the park :)
    Oh and reusing the bacon used to keep the turkey moist to wrap around the cut up chipolatas to make pigs in blankets. Each chipolata made 3 pigs.
    If I'm not careful I will soon start separating layers of toilet roll a la extreme cheapskates :)

I was utterly delighted that OH had listened to my whining about not having a hot drink for hours on end some days if it's a very busy out of home day, and treated me to a very swish flask from Blacks. I shall be the envy of all the park crew when I whip out my litre of coffee :)

Thank you very much for all the good wishes today and always!

Merry Christmas

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bobarella
    Forumite
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    Merry Christmas Bob and family :)

You have done amazingly well to clear that amount of debt with everything else going on. Here's the next years final push :D

Thanks so much Kirsty. I hope your year will also be great. Sending best wishes for MIL :A

• JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    Merry Christmas! So glad you've had a lovely day - even if it started perhaps earlier than anticipated! Mine didn't start until 9am which felt very civilised!
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Bobarella
    Forumite
    Thanks JW :) 9am! Wow. What a lovely treat. Merry Christmas!

• Bobarella
    Forumite
    Morning All

After all the excitement of yesterday, a lie in was extremely welcome. This is the bit where your daily hours start to shift, and before you know it you have moved breakfast to 9.30, lunch to 2pm & dinner to 8.30 until the buffet closes :) Speaking of the buffet despite a restrained buying of items we all like for Christmas day, we have a tonne of it left. Spent 30 mins playing fridge jenga before bed last night. Why is it always harder to get food back into the fridge once it's been cooked or opened? There was less going back in as well so should have been easier!

In boring news, we are out of milk and toilet paper, and one of my sons gifts needs a battery size we don't have. So off t'shops we will go in a wee while.

DD has been on a rotation of Calpol and Ibuprufen since Christmas Eve, poor thing has had high temps the whole time off and on. I'm not feeling terrific this morning, blocked nose and head. But I'm sure a walk will help.

Goals for today
    1. Write a list of jobs that I can do over my long period of time off. The spare room/office is a bit of a mess due to too small clothing being dumped in there ready to go back in the loft or donated etc. Just haven't had time in these busy weeks.

2. Think about our joint account migration, not quite as simple as using their switching service because of the way our money arrives each month. FD have given us a £500 OD limit which I do not want to use.

3. Had a brief family meeting and OH and DS would both rather save for a car than a holiday...I do see their point but we haven't had a family holiday since 2011 and I would dearly love a proper holiday somewhere far enough away that I can't use my phone and wi-fi to worry about the business constantly. So, things to think about there.

4. Annoying jobs list for OH. He did me proud by Wombling a piece of flying tarpaulin the other night in the winds. We need to fix our shed roof but that will keep the camp out until he can get it sorted.

Have a good boxing day all.

Bob

• f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,817
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Your fridge has the same space issues as ours. Like the Tardis in reverse.

I remembered the loo roll on Xmas Eve so bought a 16 pack. Might even do til New Year.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Bobarella
    Forumite
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Your fridge has the same space issues as ours. Like the Tardis in reverse.

I remembered the loo roll on Xmas Eve so bought a 16 pack. Might even do til New Year.

What's up with that hey? I've just done the buffet shuffle again it's all out on the table and everyone has been informed that it's most definitely Mums day off!

Good luck on your loo roll challenge. If your kids are anything like the one I have that currently uses loo roll it seems to get used at pace. This morning he came into our room and announced that he'd got a packet of tissues out of the cupboard due to the loo roll being used up. He then informed my husband that as he'd had a bit of an issue he had used his flannel to sort it out...:rotfl::T

Oh and DD was having a little nappy free time this morning and weed all over my trainers. You can't live with em you can't film it and send it to You've been framed ;)

• Bobarella
    Forumite
    So back from my mornings activities. See I was right, it's 2pm and the buffet shuffle has only just taken place. It's all on the table and that's me done for today. I have a right annoying cold that is making me sneeze and streaming nose constantly today but I'm looking forward to a G&T in a bit so I won't take any meds as yet :)

Successes this morning:

1. Took 5 Mr T reciepts to have added on. Whilst there got carrots, tomatoes and cucumber which is all cheaper there than in Mr S.
    2. Found 2p roadkill
    3. Got DH a pair of next jeans for £10 instead of £22. As I hadn't managed to get him a present to open yesterday that will do pig.
    4. In Mr S used a coupon for 80 points if you spent £2.50 on toiletries. As we needed shampoo and shower gel I stocked up on 5 items to make the total. It then didn't scan at the self service so I went to the CS and they added it on.
    5. Wombled a 50 point reciept. Will be that added on tommorow.

DD is so much better today thank goodness, she was practically running around the shops bless her, it's lovely to see.

Home now. DS wants to do a big Pok!mon card sell off, so teaching him about market forces. It's no good if he wants £2 for one card when some people sell 100 for £9.99 for example. It's a good lesson :)

Right shuffling off to the buffet, I may be a while :)

Bob

• Blimey that was an early start yesterday, I'm grateful that my two didn't get up until 8am! As always your activities, savings and cooking sound amazing.

Hmm a holiday or a car, big decision, you'll have to do some competitions to try and win one or the other and then have both!

Hope you've managed to relax today and your cold is easing off, enjoy the rest of the evening.

H x
  • Pleased dd is better Bob - and I hope that you feel better soon too. This cold seems to have wiped me out a bit, and it's only a cold... :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure