DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Comments

• sourcrates wrote: »
    Always ask for proof first.

Weather it be statements or whatever.

If they can't produce them, they can't take you to court.

As previously mentioned, lots of debts are sold on without the slightest bit of evidence the debtor is liable for them.

Sometimes people just accept what DCA's tell them without question, it's akin to a total stranger walking up to you in the street and demanding money for something you know nothing about.

Always demand proof before offering anything.

Thanks Sourcrates, do you know if there is a template letter for this kind of request?
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt

• Post DMP start did you challenge the interest/charges paid with each individual creditor, making a complaint and then taking it to the FOS if/when you did not get a satisfactory conclusion?

No we didn't. How would we go about this considering a lot of the debts are with DCA's?
    Stepchange have an odd way of distributing payments, so we reverted to "normal" distribution when we changed to self managed and all creditors were perfectly happy with it.

Yes, always realised that but didn't know just how odd. Have just worked our payments out by percentages of debt and we have one debt that they have been paying £32 to which I have worked out as should be £7:eek: and another that should be getting £60 but they have only been paying £28. Time for things to change.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Anyone else not been receiving the daily digest email, I though it might have been in spam but not there either last 2 days?
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Just looking for a little advice,
    I've been in a Dmp for a few months now with stepchange and I'm thinking of going self managed so i can get the payments to the creditors without worry of being hit with a late payment fee. I appreciate what stepchange have done for me but it makes me anxious seeing that the likes of barclaycard are expecting it on the 4th and you know stepchange won't actually send it until the 10th even though they take it from your bank account on the 1st! (Yes I know stepchange are funded by the interest they make on our payments)
    Thoughts?
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Debt wise, I've had a good month but personally it's been worse than s..t

Hopefully will be back on in March as normal
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Ariel82 wrote: »
    Just looking for a little advice,
    I've been in a Dmp for a few months now with stepchange and I'm thinking of going self managed so i can get the payments to the creditors without worry of being hit with a late payment fee. I appreciate what stepchange have done for me but it makes me anxious seeing that the likes of barclaycard are expecting it on the 4th and you know stepchange won't actually send it until the 10th even though they take it from your bank account on the 1st! (Yes I know stepchange are funded by the interest they make on our payments)
    Thoughts?

Hi Ariel,

You could of course contact BC and request they move the due date, that's what I did at the beginning of my dmp.

Everyone can self manage and I have started from this month. I started my dmp with SC in November 2013 and am now very comfortable talking to creditors and running a budget. If you are happy with doing this then maybe self managed is for you.

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    zenshi wrote: »
    Debt wise, I've had a good month but personally it's been worse than s..t

Hopefully will be back on in March as normal

Hi Zenshi,

Sorry you have had a *rap month, fingers crossed for a marvelous march..!

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Have spent the last hour going over everything with DH and he agrees going self-managed is the way to go (and do CCA requests and eventually F&F's) His only concern is SC have been a buffer and he feels, almost a security preventing any of our creditors taking things further and doesn't want going self-managed ending up being detrimental. So hopefully I can settle his worries with a few more answers that you highly intelligent lot can help with.

We have been on our DMP 12 years now with approx. another 15 to go. So all of our debts are off our credit records except for one Cabot re-defaulted in 2010 and despite fighting it they won't remove it. At least it will be off at the end of this year.

So the questions are:-

If we do F&F's and accounts get marked as settled will they show on our credit records again?

Some of the payments SC have been making to creditors will change significantly when we change to pro-rata (L1oyds in particular). Has this caused problems for anyone?

Our list of current creditors are
    NC0-Arr0w
    Cab0t
    ldem
    R0bins0n Way
    Tesc0
    Barclayc*rd
    Bla1r 0liver Sc0tt
    R8S
    Westsc0t
    Dlrect Leg*l
    LIoyds
    Are any of them particularly troublesome?

And if it makes any difference to any of the answers we are in Scotland:D
    Thank you in advance for all replies
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,837 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks Sourcrates, do you know if there is a template letter for this kind of request?

Hi,

Template letter is in the stickies at the top of the forum, link here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

Template letter is in the stickies at the top of the forum, link here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

OK, I didn't think that was the one to use because we are not asking them to prove the debt but on reading it again I can see where it could work. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills