'What's legal tender?' discussion

Comments

• fat_jez
    fat_jez Posts: 3 Newbie
    I work in retail and we accept any notes that say Sterling.

I presume you don't accept English notes then, as they do not say Sterling anywhere on them. :p
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sterling or Bank of England notes does me just fine - if in doubt I walk the few paces to the post office end and ask them.

I believe Channel Islands money is not legal tender here, although ours is there!

I had someone try to pay with an old £2 coin the other day - very upset when I would not take it, and the post office referred her to the bank (two doors up!) and she did not like that either!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • I was always under the impression that banknotes were just promissary notes from the banks to pay the bearer on demand a said amount of pounds. I believe the Scottish banknotes still say sterling unlike the English notes.
  • Scottish notes means the scots are in town spending it we sell scottish sweets in our shop so why not pay in scottish money untill my bank tells me not to ill keep taking them (wish i had a till full every night)
    Robbie burns tokens as we call em,:T i am not a scot by the way
  • There are three different types of Scottish bank notes for each denomination. If you've never come across any of these before, spending an extra few moments to check for a forgery is sensible.

Go to scotsbanks.org.uk and look up Scottish banknotes.

Could you spot a forgery (unless you regularly handle them obviously...) within 5 seconds of receiving one?

It's up to the managers to train staff, it's not a cashiers fault. A note with quick check info on forgeries/eral notes be put up near tills. For English ANd Scottish notes.

If the receiver is rude/difficult, then fair enough you deserve a moan, but otherwise, anyone who gets rage over this is just ENJOYING having a moan!
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    I rarely use legal tender. If what I am buying is more than a quid, then I use a credit card. I get 1% cashback for paying that way.
  • ebo.h
    ebo.h Posts: 2 Newbie
    Re 'Note to shopkeepers.'
    When I had a shop, we did not accept Scottish notes, but only because they are so rarely seen that staff were unfamiliar with them, and had difficulty in distinguishing forgeries, which were common.
    For the same reason we also declined B of E £50 notes.
  • timil
    timil Posts: 1 Newbie
    There should be no discussion about what constitutes Legal Tender as this is enshrined in legislation and explained clearly by the royal mint. Google finds it easily; this site won't let me post a link. What someone will accept as payment is up to them, whether it be Scottish notes or shirt buttons. A lack of familiarity with Scottish currency amongst Cornish shopkeepers can leave them open to counterfeits so I wouldn't blame them for asking for something more familiar.
  • MarsKy_2
    MarsKy_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I'm Scots, and I can understand why English shopkeepers are wary of Scots notes.
    When the latest Royal/ Bank of Scotland notes were given to me in change, I had to have a good look at them. More-so the Clydesdale Bank notes which aren't as common and often have wonderful but unfamiliar designs.
    Legal tender or not, there's no immediate way of verifying a note as being trustworthy - could be someone with a good of understanding of Photoshop or printing presses.
    If I go down south I hit the cash machines down there to get Bank of England notes as it makes life a lot easier.
  • I work in a shop and I have to say sometimes I refuse NI and Scottish notes - I can't often tell if they are forgeries or not because I very rarely see them. For the same reason I refuse £50 notes.

On a different point we get lots and lots of coins from Guernsey in the shop for some reason (maybe there is a specific ship which regularly docks from there) is this legal tender? Guernsey isn't in the UK. Similarly we seem to get quite a few coins from the IOM or Gibraltar or even the Falkland Islands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure