Couch to 5K support thread.

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,026 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Two runs while I was away, fantastic area to run in: pretty village roads, country lanes and a tow path.

That was the last of W7 (repeated as I'd not run for a week) and the first of W8, which is supposed to be 28 minutes. However, I managed to dislodge the headphone jack from my phone and missed the instructions near the end! I was waiting for the cue to walk and it never came so eventually I gave in and did a visual check, only to find I'd been running a full five minutes too much - the fabled 5k!

Don't get too excited. :D It was a struggle. I'm not really ready for it, though it's good to know I (we) soon will be.

Today it's been far too hot to run (WR, commiserations: these hot days make it much harder to run, don't they. Don't let it stop you: it's probably just your body telling you the weather is hot and it could do with one more practice before moving on).

Incidentally, I can add to my list of the unexpected advantages of running. When I go running, I get to buy a chicken coop! Yes, really. Watch out for that opportunity, everyone. I would have missed it if I hadn't been so hot from running that I decided to get an ice cream. They never warned me on school sports days that there was something better for me than coming last in every race. :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Went for a run this morning but the heat was too much for me. That and dehydration and a lack of planning... I arrived back home with 1.5 minutes of running still to go, plus the cool down, but instead of going round the block again I did a minimal amount of stretching and collapsed on the sofa.

Obviously I need to get up earlier when the weather's like this, and think it through a bit better! Never mind, am hoping to run on Tuesday and maybe today's run will count as training towards that.

How is everyone else doing?

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So after not having exercised for a while, I've signed up to do a 5k run end of July! so I've got 5 weeks to train.

I went for my first run today, I didn't look at the couch to 5k before I went. I wanted to start out slow so only did 10 minutes with as much running as I could do. I did just over 1km in that time, which can be improved. It was also 28 degrees, so I don't think I did too badly for my first run. I also had to walk 5-7 minutes uphill on the way back which I didn't count.

I plan to do another short run tomorrow, maybe improve on the distance or time, or both!
  • Cherryfudge
    Hi Sharon, it sounds as though you've been a runner in the past and I'm very much a newbie, but something C25K has taught me is the importance of rest days, especially as you're building up your running. They enable your body to repair (as does eating a small amount of protein in the half hour after a run).

A friend of mine pushed through to 5K just a bit early and ended up resting for weeks with a stress injury, so I'm being extra careful to take at least a day between runs. I'm still running further and faster than ever before though.

Lots of luck for your 5k!

• Cherryfudge
    W8R2 today - it was cooler than Sunday so not as difficult for running but this level seems to be a bit of a challenge. It could be the heat, or my fitness levels, or the fact DH has come on these last few runs and having a companion might disturb my sense of timing. He commented that I'm running faster.
    I do find slower running is harder to sustain (achy legs) but if I'm faster, I think I outrun my strength.
    I've decided to see how R3 goes and if I don't feel significantly more capable, I'll repeat it till I feel I'm not pushing myself so much.

• Cherryfudge
    I still haven't completed W8 though it's cooler here and I managed a run. I accidentally did a W7 one again! On the positive side, I went further and part of it was uphill. It was a bit windy too but I like that because it cools me down.

I'm assuming everyone else is either still melted into a puddle (that song about snowmen in summer comes to mind) or has finished a 5K and is powering their way to 10K, so far ahead of me that I can't see a soul. :)

• Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Sharon, it sounds as though you've been a runner in the past and I'm very much a newbie, but something C25K has taught me is the importance of rest days, especially as you're building up your running. They enable your body to repair (as does eating a small amount of protein in the half hour after a run).

A friend of mine pushed through to 5K just a bit early and ended up resting for weeks with a stress injury, so I'm being extra careful to take at least a day between runs. I'm still running further and faster than ever before though.

Lots of luck for your 5k!

Nope never done proper running before! I used to have a personal trainer to build up muscle and lose weight. Some of that involved running or using the cross trainer. My main weakness I believe are my ankles and knees, so will need to be careful with them.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for knee or ankle supports in case I need them?

I've done 3 runs so far, my average speed has improved, i just need to build up the time/length I run for. I've also started swimming to help improve my stamina without the impact on my joints, I ran/walked for 1.25km then swam 250m straight after. My aim for my next run/swim are run/walk/jog for 2k then another 250m swim.
  • Cherryfudge
    Finished! It crept up on me... the last of W8 is actually the graduation run!

Is it okay if I pop back from time to time to say I'm still running (it's too good to miss now... but we'll see if I still feel that way when it's autumn/winter :D ).

Keep putting your best foot forward everyone. :)

Sharon87, the supports are outside my experience I'm afraid but do ensure your instep is supported unless it's naturally strong. I've had problems with an almost-invisible over-pronation which has lead to wear & tear.

• fire-wannabe
    fire-wannabe Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well done Cherryfudge ����������
  • pixiebel81
    pixiebel81 Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Newbie here, my partner and I did W1R1 yesterday. He did a lot better than me and managed to complete it properly whereas I think I only managed the full 60 secs of running twice, plus had to take a couple of minutes break completely near the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure