Halifax clarity & cash abroad.

Options
Just got my clarity card and will be using it in next couple of months for holiday transactions.
I have a query on cash withdrawals.
I've had a read of this http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#section71412152667750 and it seems to say you can't preload your card up with cash to avoid interest.
However it does say this 'You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made,'
So if I know i'm going to withdraw say €300 on Tuesday, if I were to withdraw that, and then that very same day pay off £ equivalent of €300 by bank transfer, I shouldn't get charged interest or if I do it should only be very minimal being a day or so between initiating payment and it hitting my credit card - does that sound right ? Is anyone using this method successfully ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have no other balance on the card, then yes, you can do that.

But don't worry too much about it - you're talking a few pence of interest a day.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2017 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Whereas if there is a previous balance on the card, then the payment goes against the last statement balance before items that have not yet appeared on a statement.

That means if you pay the cash equivalent back the next day, you won't avoid interest on the cash, unless you pay it in addition to the last statement balance.

I think most people wouldn't worry too much, and pay the sum of these two amounts plus a a quid or two by the due date.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    4p per £100 per day.

Focus on cheaper flights. Cheaper accommodation. Cheaper food. Cheaper beer.

Then worry about the card interest.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    martynh99 wrote: »
    Just got my clarity card and will be using it in next couple of months for holiday transactions.
    I have a query on cash withdrawals.
    I've had a read of this http://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/#section71412152667750 and it seems to say you can't preload your card up with cash to avoid interest.
    However it does say this 'You will still be charged interest from the date that the withdrawal is made,'
    So if I know i'm going to withdraw say €300 on Tuesday, if I were to withdraw that, and then that very same day pay off £ equivalent of €300 by bank transfer, I shouldn't get charged interest or if I do it should only be very minimal being a day or so between initiating payment and it hitting my credit card - does that sound right ? Is anyone using this method successfully ?

What I do with mine is wait for the amount to appear on the online statement and then transfer that from my current account to the CC account, as others have mentioned the interest is minimal.
  • martynh99
    martynh99 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks all
    If you have no other balance on the card, then yes, you can do that.

But don't worry too much about it - you're talking a few pence of interest a day.

Only planning on using this card for €uro transactions
    4p per £100 per day.

Focus on cheaper flights. Cheaper accommodation. Cheaper food. Cheaper beer.

Then worry about the card interest.
    Ticked the box on all those already, sick of seeing sterling conversions on transactions when paying for hire car / villa etc with existing card so hoping to save even more now
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    martynh99 wrote: »
    Only planning on using this card for €uro transactions
    Just make sure you always pay in euros, and select 'Without Conversion' if a choice is offered by an ATM, so that your card does the conversion and not the merchant or ATM.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and remember to tell them before you travel.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure