Washing Machine Broken?

Options
I have just done a load of washing, and at the very end of the spin cycle, the machine became incredibly loud - Once the cycle had finished I set the machine to off, and after a couple of minutes I could open the machine and remove the clothes from inside

It now seems that the drum will hardly rotate by hand, when previously it was quite easy to rotate

Has anybody else had a similar problem and managed to come up with a fix for it?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    First determine which is stopping it rotating - the drum or the motor. Remove the belt & see which moves freely. Whichever is still stiff is the problem. Motor - probably needs a new one. Drum - could be something caught or bearings gone.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Are you missing a bra underwire by any chance?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you missing a bra underwire by any chance?

They just usually make a ticking noise. It gets interesting though when you show it to the lady of the house & she tells you she doesn't use underwired bras but she has been away for a while & left her husband home alone.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    key, screws, coins anything out of a pocket can get jammed between the drum and the surrounding enclosure. I normally take the heating element out and try and get the object out from there. Sometimes they just get caught in the lip near the door.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think the bearings have gone, if its under afewyears old the shop where you bought it should send a engineer around to replace the drum...happened to me, funny thing was he mentioned the bra wire thing and if it caused the problem i would have to pay for the repair,drum...
    project fear was around then and that was 10 years ago:):)
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    i think the bearings have gone, if its under afewyears old the shop where you bought it should send a engineer around to replace the drum...happened to me, funny thing was he mentioned the bra wire thing and if it caused the problem i would have to pay for the repair,drum...
    project fear was around then and that was 10 years ago:):)

really? why do you think the bearings have gone? generally when bearing go the drum seizes any will not turn at all.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    really? why do you think the bearings have gone? generally when bearing go the drum seizes any will not turn at all.
    my bearings went on the drum and it made a helluva noise and it was difficult to turn by hand. it was like a grating sound and when it was on full spin i thought it was going to take off..:)
    :)
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • navidson
    navidson Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 October 2016 at 9:14PM
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    my bearings went on the drum and it made a helluva noise and it was difficult to turn by hand. it was like a grating sound and when it was on full spin i thought it was going to take off..:)
    :)

I think it might be the bearings - The drum takes a great deal of force to move by hand and sounded like the apocalypse - I'll get an engineer round tomorrow!

Any idea how much a call-out and bearing replacement would cost on average?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure