Fence ,gates and bad neighbour

Comments

• 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    What a weird thread!
    It's not your land. Why do you think that you can use it for access, no matter how rarely you might ever want to.
    I can understand that they view the gate with a great deal of animosity. I would, if I was in their position.
  • amalis
    amalis Posts: 532 Forumite
    ok,I understand i'll ask another question- can I when repairing my own fence install a decorative gate? (say I have a funny sense of beauty)?
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Do your house papers say anything about maintaining the boundary?
  • amalis
    Grenage wrote: »
    Do your house papers say anything about maintaining the boundary?

I am not sure, but why it is important? The new fence stands exactly on the place of the old rotten one.I haven't created a new boundary
  • amalis wrote: »
    ok,I understand i'll ask another question- can I when repairing my own fence install a decorative gate?
    Yes.
    You can install a decorative gate or a fully functional gate, the choice is yours.
    If the estate is private land then actually using that gate to gain access to the land on the other side is where the legal problems might begin.
    Even though the estate may be accessible to the public doesn't mean that anyone any everyone has a right to enter and the estate management has the right to prohibit entry to whomever they desire. (provided that this prohibition isn't done on the grounds of race, colour, religion, sex or disability)
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    TheCyclingProgrammer Posts: 3,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 October 2016 at 4:51PM
    Grenage wrote: »
    If a neighbour decided to replace a fence panel between our gardens with a gate, I'd also be pretty irritated. I wouldn't drop the issue, regardless of being told that it's "bolted" or "locked".

What if they decided to remove the fence entirely?

I agree with the consensus that adding a gate to a fence that you have no desire to use on a regular basis, or that would only open onto private property, seems a bit pointless.

But it is what it is - unless OP is actually trespassing on the neighbours property and they have evidence of this then as far as I can tell they have no right to demand the gate be removed as its not on their property.

Equally, there is nothing stopping their neighbour from doing something to obstruct the gateway from their side of the fence so long as they don't encroach on OPs property. If preventing access to their property along their shared boundaries is so important to them, then why don't *they* erect a fence?
  • Grenage
    amalis wrote: »
    I am not sure, but why it is important? The new fence stands exactly on the place of the old rotten one.I haven't created a new boundary

My parent's paperwork says that they must maintain a 6-foot fence along the boundary separating the house to their left.

Paperwork is quite important.

Assuming no such stipulations exist, I can't see why it would be a problem legally, but I would expect the owner of the adjacent land to erect something immediately behind it.
  • amalis
    I don't mind them installing anything to obstruct the disputed gate, but they threaten to pass cost on to us.
  • Grenage
    They can threaten all they like; unless there's some sort of covenant. Just check your paperwork.

P.S: I still think you're mad.
  • amalis wrote: »
    I don't mind them installing anything to obstruct the disputed gate, but they threaten to pass cost on to us.

Check your deeds to see what it says about maintaining your boundary. Unless its specific, then its likely all you have to do is make sure the boundary line is clear.

Let them threaten all they want about passing on the costs of installing a fence on *their* land to protect *their* land. It would get laughed out of court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure