Avoid Coinstar - Use HSBC!!

Comments

• well im proper MS im afraid.........i count all my change,bag it up then use it to pay for my gas at my post office as i have a gas card. seems you can use change as long as you are paying a bill!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    (Next week on "A Cashier Vents Spleen" - "No, we can't take cards behind the counter, you need a paying in slip/cheque book to make a deposit/cash withdrawal, yes Barclays do it but it's bad for many reasons, all of them related to your/our !!!! not being covered if something goes wrong or the cashier nicks your money.")

I've deposited with Abbey and now Halifax since 2000 over the counter with a debit card, always got a receipt and never had a problem. Seems so antiquated, now, to have to fill in a deposit slip at HSBC.

Edit: Have just re-read this and I hate it when people use the "I've never had a problem" argument. But my point about it being antiquated still holds. Also, when I wanted to withdraw £15 over the counter at HSBC I was told I needed a cheque book. A cheque book! I didn't think people still used them these days. So I had to go to the cash point, withdraw £20 then back into the bank, fill out a slip and deposit £5. Grrr.
  • Tryed my local branches today in whiteladies road and parkstreet. I did not spot any obvious coin machines.

Anyone live in Bristol or perhaps in Bath or nearby?

:beer:
  • I've deposited with Abbey and now Halifax since 2000 over the counter with a debit card, always got a receipt and never had a problem. Seems so antiquated, now, to have to fill in a deposit slip at HSBC.

Edit: Have just re-read this and I hate it when people use the "I've never had a problem" argument. But my point about it being antiquated still holds. Also, when I wanted to withdraw £15 over the counter at HSBC I was told I needed a cheque book. A cheque book! I didn't think people still used them these days. So I had to go to the cash point, withdraw £20 then back into the bank, fill out a slip and deposit £5. Grrr.

The thing is, you pay in £100 over the counter at Abbey or whatever with just a debit card, and discard the receipt (or decline to take one). You later discover that your account was only credited with £10, so you go back in and find there's nothing they can do until they balance the till that evening, because there's no record of anything related to that transaction other than your word and what the cashier input (£10). Meanwhile, if the same thing happened at HSBC, the cashier could look through a pile of debit slips, see that you wrote down that you were paying in £100 (and that they ticked next to that amount to acknowledge it was there), check your account (or their log of till entries) to see what actually went in and get it sorted there and then.

The need for a slip for withdrawals follows a similar line of reasoning, but IIRC (and this is just my guess, not seen anything official that suggested this) the need for a cheque book would discourage people from taking out small sums over the counter when they could easily do so with a card. (Honestly mystifies me how some people, usually the elderly, would rather queue for 15 minutes behind someone paying in a few grand into their business account to withdraw £20, when they could do it in about a minute using an ATM...)
  • mr1974
    mr1974 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Do you have any inputs on the HSBC Coin Express machines in London ShelfStacker??
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Doesn't seem to be a problem in any of my group of branches... ;)
    What would William Shatner do?
  • mr1974 wrote: »
    Do you have any inputs on the HSBC Coin Express machines in London ShelfStacker??

I wouldn't know, sorry.
  • Odette
    Odette Posts: 716 Forumite
    what a clever idea, almost makes me dislike HSBC less...somehow!

any north spotted in north london?
    Aim - BUYING A HOUSE :eek: by November 2013!
    Saved = 100% on 03/07/12 :j
  • dougz_2
    dougz_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mr1974 wrote: »
    As far as knowing what branches offer this service, apparently this information is not held on HSBC customer service databases, and if anybody can get it out of them I will eat my hat as I tried endless times. It's not even easy to ring branches directly, as HSBC operates a central number policy, where you can at most leave your details and get called back.
    I suspect the listed branch opening hours might be a useful clue, in that the ones that close earlier are likely to be smaller branches without the fancy machines.

By the way, most branches do seem to have a unique fax number, so maybe you could conduct your poll that way without much effort?
  • far
    far Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to add to the list, there's one in Parliament Street, York too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure