MSE News: More pensioners can now claim the Warm Home Discount

13»

Comments

• Is the warm home discount going to run again from 2015/16 or is this the last year
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is definitely available for next winter 2015/2016.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • Hello my mother currently receives the warm home discount from Scottish Power, after a year of terrible service she wants to change supplier. How can this be done without her losing this discount from her new supplier? Can it be applied to only certain tariffs ? Any help for her would be brilliant
  • Joyful
    Forumite
    This early on she just needs to apply with a company that does it. If she is on Guaranteed Pension credit whoever supplies her on July 12th will pay it. If not she will need to apply to the new company.

It does not interfere with any tariff so she can choose any one she wants.
  • unclepotter
    unclepotter Posts: 49 Forumite
    Remember that not all energy companies are in the warm home scheme.I know OVO isn't(wasn't)and most of the smaller lesser known suppliers aren't
    If she get Pension Guarantee credit then she will automatically get it from the government.You still have to tell your new energy supplier though.We have had it for the last 3 years with EDF and have now switched to EON where we will get it.
    I found EDFs customer service very good,it was just the price issue that made us decide to switch to EON,and up to now have no complaints with their customer service.
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    You have to re-apply once you go onto Pension Credit Savings, we lost last years through not knowing
  • gizz_mo
    gizz_mo Posts: 110 Forumite
    My mum is on guaranteed pension credit and has been receiving the Warm Homes discount for the last few years. I live with her and all the bills are now in my name as I am the only earner in the household, all the direct debits are from my account.

Until last year Mum always received a letter from the DWP saying she didn't have to do anything as she qualified automatically, and the credit was always applied to our account by Eon. This year we switched provider using MSE's service, and so the letter arrived saying we needed to call and provide the new account details.

When she called and told them it was my name on the bill, they said my Mum would not qualify as her name needs to be on the bill. My Mum prefers me to take care of the bills etc, as she gets herself into a right mess when it comes to direct debits etc, doesn't use the internet, she hasn't even embraced the mobile phone yet. Also she has a bad credit history so it suits us both this way.

So I am confused because when we were with the previous provider we still received it automatically even though the bills were in my name. The eligibility criteria says your name or your partner's name have to be on the bill. Do they mean surname or full name? My Mum and I have the same surname.
    Looks like we have missed out for this year and i may have to get my Mum's name added to the bill so she qualifies next year, although she doesn't really want to. So because we switched we are now £140 worse off this year. I think this is a flaw with the eligibility criteria, especially these days when more and more people are living with parents for longer.
  • hmm more like less pensioners will get it..

i am a pensioner on a low income living in sheltered accommodation and can no longer get the warm home discount,last march at the age of 65 i was changed from guaranteed pension credit to state pension,i get the full state pension because i have 35 plus years national ins contributions,so working all those years paying national ins and income tax is now counting against me,my income is exactly the same as before,as both guaranteed pension credit and full state pension are the same,i have storage heaters which i cannot afford to use very much,so have to sit wearing my coat and hat to keep warm,and this is the so called 21st centuary..
  • Joyful
    Forumite
    moriarty66 If your household income is below £16190 you will most likely qualify under the Broader Group. You just need to contact your supplier and be assessed.
  • moriarty66 wrote: »
    hmm more like less pensioners will get it..

i am a pensioner on a low income living in sheltered accommodation and can no longer get the warm home discount,last march at the age of 65 i was changed from guaranteed pension credit to state pension,i get the full state pension because i have 35 plus years national ins contributions,so working all those years paying national ins and income tax is now counting against me,my income is exactly the same as before,as both guaranteed pension credit and full state pension are the same,i have storage heaters which i cannot afford to use very much,so have to sit wearing my coat and hat to keep warm,and this is the so called 21st centuary..

I don't know your own figures, but I get much more than the standard state pension rate. I get £202 per week due to the SERPS scheme, and I'm still eligible for the Warm Home Discount via Eon.

I also live in sheltered accomodation, and also have night storage heaters and my last quarter bill which included October, November and December was £158, and for that I get my lounge heated 24/7, my electric shower, my immersion heater, electric cooking, washing machine, and fan heaters in the bedroom and bathroom as and when required.

I use as much as possible in the cheaper night rate (washing machine and immersion heater both on timers).

You need to check what rates you are paying for your electricity.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure