PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Morning all
    I know it's not really prepping as you can't really prepare for idiots but this is a take care warning we live in a smallish town in the middlelands ds1 has just shown me a photo and warning a friend posted on FB last night. Clowns jumped out and chased him as he was biking over the train bridge, he pedalled off fast thinking he just get away but they had tied a wire across the end so he went over his handle bars and got quite badly grazed up (luckily no worse) ds2 works at a local eatery in the evenings so main warning was for him. But if they are doing stupid stuff like that he it's bound to be in other uk towns - especially with Halloween coming up.

A town close to ours has ask that no one dress up as clowns or carry baseball bats (happening in other places in America). They have also had incidents.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :( We've got contagious clown-idiocy in our region, too. One of these nights one of these numpties will get their lights punched out by an un-amused victim.

Re wires being strung across places where cycles go, it has happened here, unrelated to clowning, and once even with a gang lying in wait to extract money from the downed cyclist with menaces. Worth us cyclist bearing in mind - the only cycle path I use regularly is extremely heavily travelled with thousands of passers-by on bikes and on foot daily, so would be hard to string line across that one.

Have a good day, folks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    One cycling cousin has a pair of wirecutters in amongst the puncture repair doings. He reckons being 6'7" means he doesn't get much hassle, but wryly acknowledges that on the dirt, we're all short...

Mildly stunned to see 50 last minute ways to prep for an emergency this - frankly, if you Haven't Heard the hurricane warnings, just how much help might this be?
    (Then, I heard various supermarkets had the wine shelves empty but still plenty of sticklights, bottled water & snack foods. To each their priorities, I suppose.)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Wires across a public right of way plus anonymous people *trying* to scare you, thats horrendous.

It does make me wonder. This is what these people feel free to do *now*, even with the so-called Rule of Law operating. What if the emergency services and army were trying to cope with a natural disaster, like another hurricane as in 1987? Or a 3 day week that led to the streetlights being switched off and power cuts like in the 1970s? There really do seem to be fewer inhibitions today about cruelty ... am I just getting old, is it my imagination?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    t's worrying isn't it?
    And I suspect there will be clowns knocking on the doors on Hallowe'en :(
  • Ok, I am surrounded by Clown's day and night.
    I can't escape them,

No I don't live in a circus, ( although sometimes it feels like it)

I live in Clowne in Derbyshire pronounced the same way!

There is a site with the history of clownevillage

I've had to do a new user name, as in real life I might be recognised

xx
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ok, I am surrounded by Clown's day and night.
    I can't escape them,

No I don't live in a circus, ( although sometimes it feels like it)

I live in Clowne in Derbyshire pronounced the same way!

There is a site with the history of clownevillage

I've had to do a new user name, as in real life I might be recognised

xx

That certainly sounds much nicer than the "clowns" causing so much hassle :D
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Uh-oh... Pound worth less than Euro at UK airports - fuel prices on their way up.
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Uh-oh... Pound worth less than Euro at UK airports - fuel prices on their way up.
    :) You always get the worst exchange rates at airports and you'd be a fool to change money at them. Exchange rate on the street here 1.16 euro to the pound today but that isn't so headline-worthy, is it?:rotfl:

Of course, when the euro goes belly-up, it'll all be academic.

I was musing as I walked to work this morning on clowns frightening teenage girls. One non-costume clown-type once tried to frighten me as a 19 y.o walking alone on a busy city street early on a dark winter's night.

He probably thought it was an easy thrill, leaping out at a girl as she passed a shadowy doorway. He was smacked across both forearms by the forceful downward slice of the side of my hand and the last I saw of him was clutching said bruised forearms and calling me an effing beyatch.

:p Joke was, I'd hit him by reflex after having spent an all day aikido training session, and was about as surprised as he was.

People who pick on people don't always know what kind of people they have picked upon. I know women of 5 ft tall and 8 stone sopping wet who can dole out serious GBH.

Trending soon, young martial artist breaks clown's nose and the Police promise to wipe the smile off the offender's face. With Nivea, if necessary.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    GQ. Why Nivea? I'd do it with a Brillo pad.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills