JSA Driving lesson or course discounts

Hi, I am new to signing on for Job Seekers Allowance, and i think 45 pounds per week is a terrible amount to offer someone to live on. I live with a relative so i cant have my rent paid for.

But my main question is, can people claiming job seekers get discounts on driving lessons? Id like to learn to drive to increase the chances of jobs in my field. But the average lesson is half my weekly income

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    You'd find out about any discounts by contacting the driving schools direct. However, even with a substantial discount, I doubt that you'd be able to afford this and keep yourself at the same time. Get a temporary job and pay for lessons out of your earnings.
  • Boppy_2
    Boppy_2 Posts: 317 Forumite
    You could also ask at the Jobcentre, I'm not sure exactly what help they give but they can help with courses and things so whether they would help with driving lessons i do not know, but it's worth asking :)
  • it's very expensive owning and running a car. You would need more than benefits to keep you going
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I guess its such a low amount as its not meant to be a long term income!
    I am not sure what help you would get, ask at JobCentre, but would it not have to be almost free for you to afford it ?
    Spend your time looking for work (any work!), then use the earnings from that to pay for your lessons!
    You are lucky to have an understanding relative to live with.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Thanks for all your advice,
    Just to let some of you know, i am not a free loader :) who wants to have a car and live off my benefits. Im 23 years old graduate and have worked since the age of 15. But i have to have very expensive dental treatment which will put me in a lot of debt if i had to pay for it, so i was advised to sign on - which ill do for a short period. I just think it would be constructive for JSA to offer young people who sign on benefits such as driving discounts in exchange for additional courses etc. Just to give them something to do during the day and to make them feel posistive about finding employment.

Appreciate your words of wisdom
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    marchand wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice,
    Just to let some of you know, i am not a free loader :) who wants to have a car and live off my benefits. Im 23 years old graduate and have worked since the age of 15. But i have to have very expensive dental treatment which will put me in a lot of debt if i had to pay for it, so i was advised to sign on - which ill do for a short period. I just think it would be constructive for JSA to offer young people who sign on benefits such as driving discounts in exchange for additional courses etc. Just to give them something to do during the day and to make them feel posistive about finding employment.

Are you saying you were advised to sign on in order to get free dental treatment ? And are you also saying you think you should also be given more benefits (albeit in kind) ? Presumably if you are a graduate you could get a decent (ish) job, pay for your own treatment (in instalments if need be), and pay for your own driving lessons too ?
    If you are offered a job while on JSA you will have to have good reason to refuse it, then your free dental treatment (and whatever else) will stop when you start work.
    Surely you would feel more positive working for your own money and paying for your dental work and driving lessons yourself ?
    TBH we need things to get people off JSA, not keep more on it!!!
    I think that people on JSA are supposed to job seek during the day, are they not ? I do think there are some courses that are offered, in basic things like computing (ECDL etc) but as I have not had contact with Job Centre for a long time I could not be sure.
    Not meaning to sound harsh, but just think about what you are actually saying for a minute!
    In my day, not that long ago, I graduated, got a job (well a better one as I had worked part time), and paid my way (in my own rented flat with no benefits of any kind), managed to pay for dental treatment AND driving lessons! It was an ok paid job but after rent, Ctax etc I was not well off, I managed though and prioritised!
    Good luck whatever you do.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• viktory
    viktory Posts: 7,635 Forumite
    Just to let some of you know, i am not a free loader :)who wants to have a car and live off my benefits. Im 23 years old graduate and have worked since the age of 15. But i have to have very expensive dental treatment which will put me in a lot of debt if i had to pay for it, so i was advised to sign on - which ill do for a short period. I just think it would be constructive for JSA to offer young people who sign on benefits such as driving discounts in exchange for additional courses etc. Just to give them something to do during the day and to make them feel posistive about finding employment.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: You are a bloody free loader. Get your lazy, sorry, free loading @rse back to work.

Cheeky b@stard.
  • Presumably you know someone who drives. They can give you free driving lessons. They might not be very good, but at least they're free. The library will have books about your theory test. Borrow them. They're free.

It's a shocking indictment of this Labour government that someone working at the Job Centre hasn't sat the test on your behalf. Poor you. I'd appeal. Or ask for compensation. Or ask for both. Ask through the medium of disco dancing outside the Job Centre tomorrow while you wait for your giro.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    In our area, it isn't the job centres who offer free driving courses, but those back to work centres which you are sometimes referred to on New Deal. The lessons are given on some work focus courses but you have to have been out of work for some time.

Whether the same types of schemes are run in all areas is another matter.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Thanks for all your advice,
    Just to let some of you know, i am not a free loader :)

And now Marchand draws out his shotgun, points it at his foot, pulls the trigger and...
    But i have to have very expensive dental treatment which will put me in a lot of debt if i had to pay for it, so i was advised to sign on
    BOTH BARRELS.

I thought you weren't a free loader? I wonder how the DSS would view you claiming in light of this revelation?

Proof, if any were needed, that graduates are getting thicker by the year.

And people wondered why I made this post:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1279669
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family