The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Car Insurance - Ban Declare Question

Hi all,

So I'm looking at getting a new car in a couple of months finally after many years. I'm just wondering if I need/should declare my ban. I notice the insurance ask "If I have been banned in the last 5 years" which yes I have in 2014. But this comes off/removed my license on the 23 April 2018. See below;
cZtxstU.png
Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You honestly and accurately answer the question that you have been asked, nothing more, nothing less.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter whether it has been removed from your licence ...you have to honestly answer the question your are being asked by the insurance company.
    Remember they can check this but might not bother until you make a claim and by then your in the !!!!.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Licence endorsements are not spent till after 5 years even though they are removed after 4

The question is about convictions in the last 5 years!
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    You still have to declare it though it reality any difference this far down the line in premium will be negligable
  • Well thanks guys, thought it was worth checking before. Unfortunately adds on £700 making a total of around £1700 for the year but it's worth it rather than being unable to claim/fraud.

Thanks!
  • Reardoa
    Reardoa Posts: 155 Forumite
    If you have a 4 yr old sp30 conviction that is having that much impact on your insurance you need to look around at alternatives. I wouldn't expect a more serious conviction to still have that impact alone after 4 yrs.
  • You will need to declare this until 23rd of April 2019.

On your licence or not, that's not the question.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Reardoa wrote: »
    If you have a 4 yr old sp30 conviction that is having that much impact on your insurance you need to look around at alternatives. I wouldn't expect a more serious conviction to still have that impact alone after 4 yrs.

It’ll be the ban rather than the offence I suspect.
  • Done a bit of shopping around tonight and I've got it down to around £1500 compared to £1250 (without the ban) which I don't think is bad and I'll be fully legal up to the eyeballs so can't complain.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    TMinside wrote: »
    Hi all,

So I'm looking at getting a new car in a couple of months finally after many years. I'm just wondering if I need/should declare my ban. I notice the insurance ask "If I have been banned in the last 5 years" which yes I have in 2014. But this comes off/removed my license on the 23 April 2018. See below;
    cZtxstU.png
    Thanks for any advise.

You were banned on 23rd April 2014. That is less than five years ago, so yes, you do need to declare it.

The question is straightforward, and so is the answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure