BT broadband Haggling thread

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Couldn't find this which is similar to the Sky ones,

Have you had success in haggling towards the end of your fibre or broadband deals? and how good were they? Cheers in advance
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i'm in the process of about to haggle for a better deal with BT soon. I dont believe they offer great retention deals - in which case hunt out someone else like Sky or PlusNet and comeback to BT next year and get £100+ topped up debit card and quidco cashback etc :)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Have you had success in haggling towards the end of your fibre or broadband deals? and how good were they? Cheers in advance

YES last three years each new contract was less than the last one .
    But i did not haggle just informed them i was leaving in 30 days and waited for an offer .
    Refused first offer and waited then retention's called with an acceptable offer .

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5310749&highlight=bt+haggling

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/search.php?searchid=172969301
  • I have attempted to haggle with BT twice over the last two days on behalf of my elderly parents. They've offered a £3 discount on £42 pm. Sky offering £18.99 for 12 months with £75 prepaid card. No brainer, but BT will not let them keep the same number. The stress and inconvenience of changing their number isn't fair on elderly people or anyone for that fact. Anyone experienced this and got round it? Another large arrogant organisation rewarding shareholders rather than loyal customers. Doesn't seem fair and a potential Ofcom issue?
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    adammday wrote: »
    I have attempted to haggle with BT twice over the last two days on behalf of my elderly parents. They've offered a £3 discount on £42 pm. Sky offering £18.99 for 12 months with £75 prepaid card. No brainer, but BT will not let them keep the same number. The stress and inconvenience of changing their number isn't fair on elderly people or anyone for that fact. Anyone experienced this and got round it? Another large arrogant organisation rewarding shareholders rather than loyal customers. Doesn't seem fair and a potential Ofcom issue?

Possibly an ofcom issue. I'm surprised about the number. I managed to change from Sky to bt and kept the number . Why can't it be done in reverse ?
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2017 at 1:27PM
    adammday wrote: »
    I have attempted to haggle with BT twice over the last two days on behalf of my elderly parents. They've offered a £3 discount on £42 pm. Sky offering £18.99 for 12 months with £75 prepaid card. No brainer, but BT will not let them keep the same number. The stress and inconvenience of changing their number isn't fair on elderly people or anyone for that fact. Anyone experienced this and got round it? Another large arrogant organisation rewarding shareholders rather than loyal customers. Doesn't seem fair and a potential Ofcom issue?
    If you switch from BT to Sky it's Sky who you do the switch with (its known as 'gaining provider led process') and that's who you ask to keep your existing number. Not sure why BT would be telling you they can't keep their number?

See:
    Ofcom: Switching landline

uSwitch: How to Switch Broadband
    Can I keep my landline phone number if I switch providers?

You can always contact Sky and ask them.
    Also, just phone up BT and tell them you are leaving because you can get Sky for £19. You are giving them one last call to see if they can offer you anything, otherwise you are leaving. Don't cancel, just tell them you are leaving and then arrange your new deal with Sky if BT don't offer you anything.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Anybody on this forum managed to get a discount when the special offer ends? It is very tempting to switch but after 12 months the price more than double, I would like to stay with BT for their BT sports channel at a discount price but not prepared to pay line rental and bb at £40.99 as am paying £25.49 now. I do not want the hassle of switching every year Thanks
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    My dad just bought BT Sport at half price via Groupon.

It's worth trying to haggle but don't be afraid to switch if it doesn't work and the overall cost is higher than what you can get somewhere else.

Do your research and tell them how much you will pay per month if you move - this might help negotiations.
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have always found haggling with BT hard work.

Generally, the only way to get the best deals is to swap companies each year. Go through cashback sites when ordering as well to get more £.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whereas i find the threat of leaving BT always works and i end up paying less than current year .Threat i use is to have actual facts as to competitors >Phone BT and if they don't deal then say i am reserving the right to cancel within 30 days . Retention's come back with an offer a week or two later .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure