PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Comments

• Started cleaning kitchen cupboards yesterday and have weeded out some plastic containers for the chazzer, They're in good condition, hardly used, so I hope someone can get some use out of them.
    A fleece jacket will also be going to the charity shop, again, in good nick but hardly used.
    I've got some tops in the wardrobe that I don't wear, one is too big, and I can't seem to let them go, they've been in the charity bag, and I've taken them out!!
  • Hiya all
    We have had a bereavement in the family and I have been very busy helping to look after my GD who is now 21 months - my DIL (who lives with me) seems to find it quite hard and complains that my DS1 leaves for work at 8 and doesnt get back till 5.30-6.00 pm. Well, thats how it is and I think she should be pleased that he has work in this day and age! But I spend a lot of my time saying/suggesting - this needs doing now, the baby is crying because she needs changing, it is raining the washing needs taking in etc etc. Dont think she has much of a clue but worry that I am being too critical and/or taking over too much. Have also been away for a week visiting friends (and trying to give DS1 and DIL some space) and apparently nowt got done to the disgust of my son (her partner) and my ex (who visited while I was away!) Hey ho! Am trying to still do things for myself in the middle of this but it is hard.
    So, on a positive note - had a fab time away at my friends and also on a day trip with another friend to Exeter Christmas market. Made cranberry sauce for Christmas today cos cranberries were on special offer in Lidil today so am beginning to feel quite Christmassy! :D

Make do: sticking to meal planning and doing cupboard sock take each week - also buying a lot a of YS and special offer stuff!
    Mend:Another patch on the sofa cushions; unblocked our own drain (that was a gross job!)
    Minimise: This is the exciting bit folks!!!!!! :j Read on line about a minimalising challenge: get rid of 30 items in 30 days!! I have risen to and achieved the challenge in November: So I got rid of:
    1) Out with the old: 5 pairs of undies and one bra well past their best - had 'new' ones sitting in a suitcase under the bed LOL
    2) Kitchen rubbish: a muffintype tin which has not been used for a year; a 'spare' lemon squeezer (who the heck needs 2??); got a tin half full of biscuits eaten up and tin sent to chazzer; ditto marmalade and a jam which had been cluttering up cupboard!
    3) Wardrobe: 15 tops/ trousers that I had not worn for a year (so easy - just go thro ward robe and put on the bed everything that youve worn recently - this give space for you to go through what is left and say 'what the heck have I got that for I never wear it!' Make sure you have bag at the ready to take it all to the chazzer)
    4) Sold: a garden shredder and terrible coal effect fire - the local FB page seems more effective than flea bay!
    5) 10 books! All read but 2 only half read cos they were dire!!!
    6)Pair of old shoes + a pair of old slippers (why was I keeping them???)
    So I exceeded my ambition! 39 things in 30 days!! It can be done.

OK so Christmas may not be the best time to declutter but might aim for 20 things over 20 days of December. Other areas suggested for investigation are: costume jewelery; hair accessories (I have long hair); things waiting in mending pile or alterations pile (are you really gonna do these or can they go to the chazzer (which will get monies for the items for rags); suitcases under beds; pens/paperwork (will you ever use some of them??). So I think I can do something with this. :beer:

Have been reading back a bit and it seems you are all doing so well - lets keep this thread going ! :A
    Cheers
    Nite all :A
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi y'all

Is it me or is this Christmas lark getting in the way of MMMing already?

Make do- with freezer food, last year's Christmas works do outfit. (Glad I did as it was an awful venue with awful food and several of us left early)

Mend - fixed the Christmas lights which I'm very pleased about.

Minimise - sold four items on eBay. Yippee.

Happy Monday. :)
  • Slowdown
    Slowdown Posts: 573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Lynplatinum sorry to hear about the bereavement. Hope it's not too difficult for you all.
  • LynP - really sorry for your loss. I hope life gets more peaceful for you.

Been busy here too, but thankfully with good ( but stressful) things.

Make do - with a second-hand dog! Himself went to a rescue center for some more chickens. The dog he fell in love with is sitting on my legs while I'm writing this! Rescue dogs come with all sorts of issues which is where the stress comes in!

Mend - as ever nothing. The head is still about to fall off the dogs' cuddly flea!

Minimise - finally some proper sucess to report. Went into the kids rooms and cleared out some stuff. Mostly it's mine and Himself's that we've been dumping there in the four years :eek::eek::eek::eek: since they moved out! Bag of clothes that didn't sell on eBay, and a box of rabbit ornaments went to the charity shop. I'd loaded up the car with stuff for the tip which included two computer stools on wheels and the lady from the chazzer agreed to take those too :j. I was pleased about that coz there was nothing wrong with them but we didn't use them and they took up loads of space! Hopefully someone will appreciate those.

I've a week off work so I will be minimising my Christmas savings and finishing the Christmas shopping :beer:. So much for getting it finished in November.

I hope everyone is well.
    Tx
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 10:27AM
    Morning All

Have my list to tackle today!
    20 selection boxes to wrap for the children's Christmas party at the club which will minimise my old stash of wrapping paper and they will be delivered tomorrow ready for Saturday.
    We are going to a family birthday dinner at the weekend so I'm going to hand deliver as many Christmas cards as I can at the same time.
    Make do will be something from the freezer stocks for dinner tonight.
    Hav'n't got a mend at the moment although does oiling the front door locking mechanism count? It's much smoother now ;)
    Lyn - I do feel for you with your DiL being so clueless - you deserve a halo!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi ya Chums are seems to be doing very well in here :) yesterday I minimised two card to overseas relatives ,been carrying them round in my handbag for a week:) they have to be weighed at the post office A silly small job really that entailed me walking to and standing in the post office ,but got chatting to a nice lady in the queue there which was a bonus at least :)

Today I am making do with two left over scones from saturday for a quick lunch with an apple that I brought home from the left over Making Miracles social last Wednesday Its a huge one looks a bit like the one from Snow white :) The social was held in an hotel and afterwards we were told to take anything we fancied as it would only be thrown away !!!! so home with me came two apples a couple of oranges ,some tiny sausage rolls (my DGS polished those off ) and a couple of kiwi fruits .Ate the kiwi's over the weekend but wasn't impressed with them:) one of the lae oranges were eaten last night and was delicious, so I will give the apple a go today .Tonight its quiz night at the local pub and I get a meal there included in the price so no cooking for me tonight.

The scones were given to me by DD who had them given to her by the cafe next door to where she works as they had made too many .I froze around 6 of them and left 4 out so I will finish them off for lunch nothing wasted at all :)

Mending : I am sewing up some more squares for the charity I knit for so thats my 'mending' done

still minimising my freezer and starting to get some wriggle room at last My stash of packets of sauce mixes etc that was when I sorted out the cupboards ages ago has now dropped to about 14 from over 30 so they are getting minimised as well :)

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
  • crazytree wrote: »

Make do - with a second-hand dog! Himself went to a rescue center for some more chickens. The dog he fell in love with is sitting on my legs while I'm writing this!

Aw, how lovely.:A What type of dog?
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    So I've been going through this thread and I'm trying to understand, does making do relate exclusively to food, or is it products as well?

I love the idea of talking about mending things though, as I will mend, literally anything, assuming it's actually possible.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Stoke - I think the making do can be applied to things as well as food. Upcycling and re- purposing should qualify - I'm sure there are other instances too!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure