Confessions of a house hoarder

Comments

• mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Ouch to the fencing :eek:

Can I ask how you made the 0% cards work on the project? Did you do money transfers; or were you able to pay enough bills with them to places that take cards. I am thinking of a similar approach, but most contractors don't take card payments
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    All money transfers. I've got some cards with daft limits considering my income (and I was absolutely honest on the applications!) and they keep putting them up! Current limits are:

Nationwide - £5,900 (put up from £3,400 in November)
    Lloyds (new card last year) - £6,000
    Halifax - £10,500 (up from £6,000 when opened in 2014)
    Barclaycard - £12,000 (up from £10,000 when opened in 2011)
    The-Barclaycard-formerly-known-as-Egg - £7,000 (up from £4,500 when opened in 2011)

So that's a total limit of £41,400 and cash transfers tend to be 90%, meaning £37,260 for extracting. Mr Minx also has a couple of Barclaycards with five-figure limits, so the rest came from his.

The down side is that my Noddle credit score is currently shocking due to the high percentage of credit utilised. I've apparently got a 90% chance of being accepted for a Tesco card balance transfer though, they've got a range of options including 24 months with no transfer fee, so I think I may give that a go for the Nationwide card that's due to finish its 0% next month and some of the first Barclaycard, which finishes a couple of months later (apparently you can transfer within the first 90 days).
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I hadn't realised you are over here these days. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 March 2017 at 4:44PM
    AlexLK wrote: »
    I hadn't realised you are over here these days. :)

Yup, I moved - MSE isn't getting rid of me that easily :p:p

I have SO much to do this weekend that I need a list.
    • [STRIKE]Feed horses x 2 x1[/STRIKE]
    • Walk dogs [STRIKE]x 4 x3 x2[/STRIKE] x1
    • Feed sheep [STRIKE]x 4 x3 x2[/STRIKE] x1
    • Yoga [STRIKE]x 2[/STRIKE] x1
    • [STRIKE]Repair next door's manege fence after horse had a brakes failure and smashed it (oops...)[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Fill up water in big field and move horses down to it[/STRIKE] it's been so wet this week that the two tubs (80 litres each) were about 2/3rds full anyway!
    • [STRIKE]Lots and lots of laundry (I reckon about 6 loads) 4th one in, may get away with 5![/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Lots and lots of ironing[/STRIKE]
    • As much typing as possible (I have about 3 hours outstanding)
    • [STRIKE]Re-invoice Journalist #3, who's not using her limited company any more[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Tip out the compost bin, bag the usable stuff, reload[/STRIKE] 6 sacks of compost!!
    • [STRIKE]Tackle the corner bed in the garden[/STRIKE] counting this as done - I've spent an hour on it and dug out all the nettles which have crept in under the wall from the field, so that's the bulk of the problem sorted. I'll finish it off a bit each day next week.
    • Unpack the new sanding tool and get as much of the bannisters done as possible
    • [STRIKE]Post ebay orders[/STRIKE]
    If I get even a fraction of that lot done, I shall be very, very happy!!
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That's a mammoth 'to do' list!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    All money transfers. I've got some cards with daft limits considering my income (and I was absolutely honest on the applications!) and they keep putting them up! Current limits are:

Nationwide - £5,900 (put up from £3,400 in November)
    Lloyds (new card last year) - £6,000
    Halifax - £10,500 (up from £6,000 when opened in 2014)
    Barclaycard - £12,000 (up from £10,000 when opened in 2011)
    The-Barclaycard-formerly-known-as-Egg - £7,000 (up from £4,500 when opened in 2011)

So that's a total limit of £41,400 and cash transfers tend to be 90%, meaning £37,260 for extracting. Mr Minx also has a couple of Barclaycards with five-figure limits, so the rest came from his.

The down side is that my Noddle credit score is currently shocking due to the high percentage of credit utilised. I've apparently got a 90% chance of being accepted for a Tesco card balance transfer though, they've got a range of options including 24 months with no transfer fee, so I think I may give that a go for the Nationwide card that's due to finish its 0% next month and some of the first Barclaycard, which finishes a couple of months later (apparently you can transfer within the first 90 days).

Thanks for all that information Caz. I only really have one current candidate, Te$co. My other card is the BA Amex; or a NW one that now doesn't do teaser rates. So I'd need to think about whether it's worth applying for another one. DH has a Lloyds card, but it's an Avios one so doubt they do 0%. Curses to our "flying up the front" addiction :p
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • FloppyDisk
    FloppyDisk Posts: 864 Forumite
    Big numbers but big acres! Will be following your journey!!
    Mortgage Apr 18 £417,894 BTL Mar 18 £162,857
    Mortgage now -- £350,085 BTL now --- £162,668
  • List update:

• [STRIKE]Feed horses x 2 x1[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Walk dogs x 4 x3 x2 x1[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Feed sheep x 4 x3 x2 x1[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Yoga x 2 x1[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Repair next door's manege fence after horse had a brakes failure and smashed it (oops...)[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Fill up water in big field and move horses down to it[/STRIKE] it's been so wet this week that the two tubs (80 litres each) were about 2/3rds full anyway!
    • [STRIKE]Lots and lots of laundry (I reckon about 6 loads)[/STRIKE] 4th one in, may get away with 5!
    • [STRIKE]Lots and lots of ironing[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]As much typing as possible (I have about 3 hours outstanding)[/STRIKE] I was down to 90 minutes and then another file came in from Journalist #3, but it's not due back until the end of the week
    • [STRIKE]Re-invoice Journalist #3, who's not using her limited company any more[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Tip out the compost bin, bag the usable stuff, reload[/STRIKE] 6 sacks of compost!!
    • [STRIKE]Tackle the corner bed in the garden[/STRIKE] counting this as done - I've spent an hour on it and dug out all the nettles which have crept in under the wall from the field, so that's the bulk of the problem sorted. I'll finish it off a bit each day next week.
    • [STRIKE]Unpack the new sanding tool and get as much of the bannisters done as possible[/STRIKE] I only got an hour down there, but managed the fronts of 12 spindles and half the fiddly little groove of the handrail.
    • [STRIKE]Post ebay orders[/STRIKE]
    I actually can't believe I got all the way through it! I particularly can't believe I got all the ironing done, it took me 2.5 hours. I also managed to update the blog, as it turns out it's a year today that we got the keys to the other house. Time definitely flies!
  • That's a huge list, makes me feel exhausted just looking at it. Well done for getting through it all.
  • Did I say I only had 90 minutes of transcription plus a new file to get through? Ha! *feeble laugh* I've just finished 45 minutes for NEL and the rest of the current queue goes something like:

Journalist #3 - 40 minutes
    NEL - 43 minutes
    NEL - 40 minutes
    NEL - 12 minutes
    NEL - 31 minutes
    Journalist #1 - 28 minutes
    Journalist #1 - 16 minutes
    Journalist #1 - 25 minutes
    Journalist #1 - 50 minutes

Also getting stuff throughout the day for Mr RPC and trying to get some bets on Cheltenham as well, so it's been a bit manic today, and that was before you factor in the 60mph gales complete with hailstones and thunder, which slowed down the outdoor chores a bit.

The good news is that I got a recorded delivery letter from the Crofting Commission yesterday and my decrofting application for the holiday let has been approved :beer::beer::beer::beer::j:j:j:j:T:T:T:T All I have to do now is buy the bit of land from my landlords (the Scottish Ministers) and then it goes on the Registers of Scotland as freehold and becomes mortgageable.

Time for a bit of yoga while the lemon drizzle cake I've just made for my heating engineer and electrician tomorrow cools down, and then it's definitely bed time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback