Double Yellow Lines

Options

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Because parking in the road is causing obstruction, permits wouldn't remove that obstruction but preventing parking with double yellow lines would.

Double yellows would also prevent (Ruining) parking on the verge.
  • Naddan
    Naddan Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    prosaver wrote: »
    I think it would be parking permit s more than anything. ..why, is there a need for yellow lines?

Other residents complained to the council that the vehicles closest to the junction were restricting sight and causing an obstruction. They are parked in accordance to the law but as 2 are vans, it does make seeing down the road more difficult (but not impossible).
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    at the moment as the road is unadopted do the council have any right to tell you how to park? Surely it is none of their business.

The offence of unnecessary obstruction appears to apply on any road, private or not. [The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 103]

Also, the council have a requirement to ensure access for the emergency services. Could a fire engine get past the parked cars?
  • Naddan
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    So not content with a garage and a drive you want he council to dig up all the green space in the street so you can park on the road as well!

Wow, nice friendly reply....

Firstly, I forgot to say we use our drive. Secondly, I did mention that we bought the house with the intention of using the garage only to realise you could get my car in but it wasn't wide enough to get the doors open. And lastly, if you want to call a grass verge that is full of weeds, never maintained (despite what the council say) and full of mud where dogs dig it up "green space" then by all means do. However, we wouldn't lose the verge as it is wide enough that you could widen the road and still have an ample verge (like the rest of my neighbourhood).
  • Naddan
    Options
    loskie wrote: »
    at the moment as the road is unadopted do the council have any right to tell you how to park? Surely it is none of their business.

You're right :) The council have said that they legally cannot tell us to move, the letter was more of a threat of what will happen when they adopt the road. I would just like to prepare now for what I think is the inevitable.
  • Naddan
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    The offence of unnecessary obstruction appears to apply on any road, private or not. [The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, section 103]

Also, the council have a requirement to ensure access for the emergency services. Could a fire engine get past the parked cars?

There is no obstruction to emergency vehicles. We have buses and lorries pass on a daily basis. You can fit 2 average cars through if you wanted although I appreciate that many dont have the confidence to try. Although they are saying that everybody parking there are causing an obstruction, I think the main concern is those who park nearer to the junction (although still within the law) :)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Naddan wrote: »
    Wow, nice friendly reply....

Firstly, I forgot to say we use our drive. Secondly, I did mention that we bought the house with the intention of using the garage only to realise you could get my car in but it wasn't wide enough to get the doors open. And lastly, if you want to call a grass verge that is full of weeds, never maintained (despite what the council say) and full of mud where dogs dig it up "green space" then by all means do. However, we wouldn't lose the verge as it is wide enough that you could widen the road and still have an ample verge (like the rest of my neighbourhood).
    Nothing to do with the fact you keep parking on it then.

I'm sorry but You effectively have car parking for at least 2 cars, if you can't use your garage then that's entirely down to you. Fit a different garage door if you can't use the current one to accommodate your existing car.

Think of the alternative, there's plenty of posts in this forum alone of people complaining of others legitimately parking on the road in front others homes causing hassle for them to get their cars out in the morning, etc.
  • Naddan
    Options
    Nothing to do with the fact you keep parking on it then.

I'm sorry but You effectively have car parking for at least 2 cars, if you can't use your garage then that's entirely down to you. Fit a different garage door if you can't use the current one to accommodate your existing car.

Think of the alternative, there's plenty of posts in this forum alone of people complaining of others legitimately parking on the road in front others homes causing hassle for them to get their cars out in the morning, etc.

Actually, no. Nothing to do with me parking on it (although I will take responsibility for the patch outside my home).

Not that I should need to keep justifying myself as it is not helpful at all to my original question but the car doesn't fit in the garage. I could change the door and it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. I will still have a narrow garage and a short drive that cannot accommodate 2 cars.

I'm not sure if you think I am writing with a tone of entitlement with the tone of your responses. Trust me I am not. I could quite happily move my car round the corner, off the main road and problem solved for me. However, that's an "I'm all right, Jack" attitude to have. Not only will it still leave some of my neighbours struggling as some have vans so would cause a bigger obstruction in narrow streets, it will also mean parking outside of somebody else's house which I do not want to do and like you have said yourself causes complaint for others. But there would be no other option as I would have nowhere else to park.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    The point I'm trying to make is if you wish to make some appeal to the council then the likelihood is you would indeed need to justify yourself. Personally, I'm not convinced but then I'm not your local council.

All I can say is good luck.
  • Naddan
    Options
    The point I'm trying to make is if you wish to make some appeal to the council then the likelihood is you would indeed need to justify yourself. Personally, I'm not convinced but then I'm not your local council.

All I can say is good luck.

And that's okay. I'm not out to convince the forum, just needed to know where to start. Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure