Tracing Debts after death (Probate)

Hi all. I am taking care of probate for my deceased mother. She kept all her paperwork extremely well organised, so when it has come to contacting the necessary people she owed money too its all been straight forward, apart from one loan.

She had a debt which was being dealt with by APEX, and after notifying them of her passing they said they would hand the debt back to their client, Barclays. I spoke with them numerous times to try and get more info or other account details as the account ref number they gave me is unknown by Barclays.

Ive got a record of all the original accounts that these debts come from with Barclays, and Barclays have informed me that those accounts no longer exist, and have been closed. They also dug around and concluded that as far as they can see my mum owes them no money.

Im unsure what to do next. Ive posted in the Gazette (notice of claims to be given by late Sept). Do I consider these debts as written off, or should I put the owed sum into a savings account for 6 years before dispersing to the beneficiaries?

Advice is much appreciated as I'm trying to do a thorough job and have hit a wall with this one.

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I'd try to get something in writing, as that would help any further claims.

But it's unclear who the debt belongs to.
  • Thats a good point. I will write a letter containing all the necessary references, bank numbers and enclose a few copies of various letters. At least then with a response in writing I will have some sort of evidence for my efforts in acting out probate duties with this.

I would like to know the law on this though in regards to how long I will need to keep the money aside, just in case a purchaser of the debt suddenly appears. Its quite confusing when they are claiming no record on their system :-/

Thanks
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Get Apex to say they have no further interest in the debt.
    If barclays do the same then along with the S27 notice as executor you should be in the clear.

Any further claim will be via the beneficiaries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure