PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to cook a poussin?

Bought a couple of poussins on special offer. I thought I'd boil one up and make a soup, but then I got to thinking - it is BF's birthday on Sunday, maybe there is some posh meal I could make that would not be too difficult and make me seem like a domestic goddess?????????????

Any ideas?
I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.

Comments

• trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
  • The easiest thing to do ( but dead impressive) is to "spatchcock" them. Basically, you take off all the string and cut them through the backbone with poultry shears or strong kitchen scissors. You then turn it over and press it out flat. This way it cooks quite fast, about 25 - 30 minutes under a medium grill. (I've put the method from UKTV food below.)

Season it liberally with salt and pepper before you put it in the grill, and I think it would be perfect rubbed with a bit of garlic butter on top, or with a lemon chopped in half and placed underneath each bird. Serve with some garlic and herb bread and a green salad. And of course you'll need to use your fingers to eat it!

Yum - I'm hungry just thinking about it, but not very money-saving to buy them for tea! I'll have to stick to my meal planner I suppose!

DFS

Method
    To spatchcock the poussins, place each poussin on a chopping board, breast-side down. With a large, heavy knife, remove the central backbone of each bird with a firm vertical 'chop'. Once removed, turn the chicken over and push it flat. Remove the rib bones. You should now have one flattened piece of chicken, skin side down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure