Dehumidifier?

I'm looking at the economics of getting a dehumidifier.
Looking at this website http://www.dehumidifier-reviews.co.uk/dehumidifier-running-costs it tells me there maybe a saving or it might be cost negative?
Never having used a dehumidifier before I'm not sure if there is a bias from the website or who sells the best ones?

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I would say that its pretty obvious its puff because every dehumidifier discussed on the site is an \eco-Air model. Hmmm...!

Personally I found that my dehumidifiers helped reduce my bills significantly and solved a lot of other problems, so yes they are worth it. Get one with a timer and either an auto setting or humidistat, so they don't run needlessly at full power.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 September 2017 at 6:33PM
    I am after a dehumidifier recently as well.
    i need one as I don't have room for tumble dryer.

My eye is on Meaco at the moment, but haven't make up my mind which one to get.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have a Meaco with a laundry mode. I thoroughly recommend the laundry mode. My old dehumidifier didn't have one, so clothes took a lot longer to dry.
  • I also have a Meaco. Great machine & dry's the laundry overnight in the winter, cheap to run.

Moneysaver
  • Slubberd
    Slubberd Posts: 91 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2017 at 3:40PM
    Our Argos budget models are excellent. We have two of these - one from 2012 - she's an old lady but still going - but noisy but still great. Only problem with her was that she was a bit tall and thin so apt to toppling if you weren't careful.

The new one is small and dumpy and sooo effective and quiet - no way it's falling over. Nice design - the filter concealed which is great and doesn't temp you to hoover the coil :) More modern looking and less obtrusive.

I wouldn't be without them. We live in a 2 bed mid terrace - in winter particularly when it's wet outside and you want to keep windows closed:

- rooms stay warmer as no moisture in the atmosphere. No more having to keep the heating on all the time.
    - no more mould growth and smelly damp everywhere
    - we have one specifically for the bathroom.
    - put your wet washing on a rack in a spare room - windows and door shut - creates an atmosphere where you can dry inside in the winter without risk.
    - better for asthma sufferers

Only thing i will say is that they need a decent ambient temp. At 15C it wont pick up as much water as at 20C. I stick the heating on for a half hour. It raises the room temp and makes pick up more effective. The first few weeks you have it you'll be amazed how much water is in your atmosphere and when the heating goes off and the room is still warm - worth every penny.

Argos all the way folks.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5759882
  • Rev
    Rev Posts: 3,150 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hope someone can give me some advice.

I’m after a dehumidifier for my bedroom. There’s no radiator in here and it gets a lot of condensation which is starting to cause mound so would like to try and sort that.

I’ve been looking for weeks and there’s so many I’m just getting confused.

I don’t know what the different types are and why one would be better than the other or in what situations would be better for each etc. So I don’t know which type I would need.

My budget is max £150 and preferably from amazon as I have some credit there already.

Thanks in advance!
    Sigless
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm very happy with my Eco-Air DD322FW Simple.

It's so intuitive and reliable to use, and it just does exactly what it's supposed to do. I've had it a few years now and it makes the house so much more comfortable to live in during damp cold winters. And it's great for drying laundry.

£170 here, (or £156 if you take out a trial with Which, which you can immediately cancel).
    https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/dd322fw-simple/ecoair-dd322fwsimple-dehumidifier

Or £190 on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-DD322-Simple-Desiccant-Dehumidifier/dp/B005G7M9BU/ref=sr_1_1_m?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1513259160&sr=1-1&keywords=dd322+simple
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure