video convert to ipad

Options
worried_jim
worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
I need to convert some films to run on ipad. I've just tried handbrake and a 1 hour film would take 33 hours to convert- not good for putting house of cards on an ipad to view on an plane!

What can you recommend?

Acer Aspire t180 running Vista with 2gb of RAM.

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    might be easier, take a months free trial with NETFLIX
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    might be easier, take a months free trial with NETFLIX

I don't think the plane has wi-fi! I need to covert more than just Netflix content- I was just using H of C as an example.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2017 at 9:52AM
    Options
    Ok

But Netflix allows you to download

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

• worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Okay- bad example. I don't need anything from Netflix. I simply need to convert video media on my PC to a format that I can put into itunes and load onto my ipad to enjoy on holiday where there will be prolonged periods with out internet access.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Video rendering/recompressing is one of the most intensive things you can ask a computer to do. A computer running Vista will be pretty old and slow.
    BUT
    Let it do one conversion, and see how long it actually takes. 33hrs might have been way out as an estimation.
    Faster hardware is the ultimate solution here, even on a money saving site, if you buy a new(er) computer you'll have the bonus of a more secure, supported operating system.
  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2017 at 6:24PM
    Options
    Yes video conversion is best with lots of memory. Things are maybe slow because you are paging a lot with your hard drive? try a smaller programme and monitor your PC performance whilst it works to get an idea of what is the limiting factor?

However for programmes AVS4You video converter is excellent. Usually comes as a suite of programmes bought for £40+ for life ( not sure if there is a free download of that individual item, there used to be...) that purchase may seem a lot but I can really recommend them all. Best suite I have found at a fairly budget price.......but yes not free.

edit:
    ...oh yes there are still free ones around it seems just search "avs4you video converter free"
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used 'Freemake' on my PC, not sure if it can convert to apple stuff
  • fenlander_uk
    fenlander_uk Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 June 2017 at 9:30PM
    Options
    Do you actually need to reduce the resolution or just convert from mkv to mp4 format?

If the latter, use AVIdemux. Open the mkv, set outputs to copy and muxer to mp4. Then hit the remux button. Takes a few seconds.

If you really need to recode with Handbrake and you have a recent Intel-based pc, use the Intel QSV option in the Video options. Normally takes a few minutes for a 50-minute video.
  • toshi
    toshi Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 June 2017 at 3:01PM
    Options
    I simply need to convert video media on my PC to a format that I can put into itunes and load onto my ipad

I am wondering if you would find workaround ?

Install another video playback apps such as VLC PLAYER to your iPad, you may find way to transfer video files from your computer to iPad not via itune.

If converting into mp4 helps, upload videos to youtube account, then download as mp4 format., technically you can convert into mp4 via Youtube.

Sorry if I still misunderstand your intention (and I don't have iPad, and I am not sure iPad/itume can play mp4 format!)
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vlc player is not available on Apple, hence the needed conversion tool.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure