Gift Ideas for Men! (Birthday/Xmas etc.)

I've been wracking my brains to come up with something a bit different to give to my Dad and Grandad this year for Christmas (and no doubt I'll have the same problem on their Birthday's too). I think they have enough socks to last a lifetime!

I wondered if I could tap into the lovely moneysavingexperts on this board for some ideas and perhaps keep the thread for Gift Ideas for Men (similarly to the hamper threads?). If any men could actually help out too then that would be even better!! :D

Ok so I'll start us off and add any ideas you might have!
  • Magazine Subscription
  • (from Hamper thread) Hamper of Real Ales
  • (from Retro sweetie box thread) a... retro sweetie box
....see where my inspiration vanishes?!!

Would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas to help me out! thanks

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

Comments

• Ellidee
    Ellidee Posts: 6,216 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Boxed DVD sets. Have a look at HMV website plenty on special offer at the mo and free postage. Quidco too I think. Also books from The Book People. Code for free delivery somewhere if you do a search.
    Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. William James
  • p-pincher
    p-pincher Posts: 727 Forumite
    I couldn't think of anything for OH's birthday and as he wont pay for Sky Sports I ordered Setanta Sports for him and I've agreed to pay for one year(9.99 Per month). You should have seen his little face yesterday when I put the channel on yesterday.
    March 2014 Grocery challenge £250.00
  • Last year made Stepdad a car care hamper. Used a bright orange builders bucket from B and Q filled it with car washing stuff, map, travel sweets, antifreeze, car scraper and loads of other little bits and pieces for the car, he was over the moon, dont know what to do for him this year.
    CUT OFF DATE FOR XMAS 2008 1st NOV
    PB £17.87, Ipoints 3907, QUIDCO £217.94,
    SHOP&SCAN 1950, LITESPEED 1265,PINECONE £8,
    BOOTS £18.62, IPSOS 1190, VALUED OPINIONS £19.25,
    MISC SURVEYS CLICK THROUGH ACCS ETC £23,
  • Pisces
    Pisces Posts: 224 Forumite
    How about a movie hamper - you could include a few DVDs, Pringles, popcorn, M&Ms, Doritos, cans of Coke..

Also, how about clothes? Appreciate it's a bit boring, but my Dad always likes getting things from his 'trendy' daughter, and my other half loves not having to go to the dreaded shops and buying things himself!
    Go your own way..

Virtual sealed pot challenge member #103
  • Newgirl_2
    Newgirl_2 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Last year made Stepdad a car care hamper. Used a bright orange builders bucket from B and Q filled it with car washing stuff, map, travel sweets, antifreeze, car scraper and loads of other little bits and pieces for the car, he was over the moon, dont know what to do for him this year.

Ooh! I love this one! Myself and OH are new Old-Stylers as of this year (started a DMP in March and are getting ourselves sorted :T ) and have agreed from then to only do smaller presents - no big expensive gadgets for him, no epensive perfumes/boots/handbags for me - and I am really struggling for smaller ideas that don't cost the earth. Reason is we have always done Advent calendar presents(I'll explain below*) so I've used a lot of 'voucher for services' ideas and the like. This is a good one!

* Advent - not having children but being huge ones ourselves, we started a tradition - we have 2 calendars with pockets for sweets etc and we fill them up but with 5 pockets for vouchers giving a different treat. Could be lucky dip from a santa sack, or for a service such as massage, candlelit meal etc. Always looking for new ideas.

I also like the post below of movie night kit. And in the past I've done food lovers kits such as Thai ingredients, Chinese, Italian etc. They went down well.

Newgirl
  • Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    p-pincher wrote:
    I couldn't think of anything for OH's birthday and as he wont pay for Sky Sports I ordered Setanta Sports for him and I've agreed to pay for one year(9.99 Per month). You should have seen his little face yesterday when I put the channel on yesterday.

Yeah, but then you have to put up with him watching it! :-D
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
  • Newgirl_2
    Newgirl_2 Posts: 367 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yeah, but then you have to put up with him watching it! :-D

Yes... but then we can be on here in peace :D

Newgirl
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Think I'm going to do the boyfriend a movie night in hamper. He always asks for DVDs for xmas but a spin on the idea is to get him some retro videos or DVDs like Dangermouse, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, etc. of all the old films and TV series that he loved when he was younger - might even throw in some vintage sweeties for him to eat as he watches!!

• alison6692
    alison6692 Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Hiya

Check out these threads

Hamper Thread - lots fab ideas here

Retro sweet Box

Here are a few ideas from me

Under £5

Steven Gerrard Autobiography

Dishy Daddy tape measure

Dishy Daddy Mug

Grumpy old man handbook

Under £10

Men's Grooming Kit - 33% off

Quiksilver T Shirt - On sale so may go quickly

Grumpy old man Apron

Window Bird Feeder £7.95

Cufflinks

Cufflink Box

Superman laptray

Under £20

Autograph Shirt - SALE item £12 M+S

Under £30

Hitchcock Box set £25 - 15 dvds

Under £40

Picnic Rucksack

Under £50

Bi-Orb fish tank - These are pretty amazing. I have one and I think its fab.

Wine tasting for 2

RHS membership £44

6 months DVD Subscription

Can you tell I am bored at work" ha ha x
    :heart2:Mum to my little Daisy 3 and Archie 1.:heart2:
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Ok I too have been thinking at work!! And come up with a vintage hamper for my other half. I'll keep you posted on how its going. He is a big kid at heart and has only recently been saying about how much he loved the turtles, playing frustration and eating black jacks - so I think he will love it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport