Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:34PM
    I forgot to mention over the weekend that I had a bit of a ynab disaster at the start of the month. Basically, I had a small amount of left over money in a few ynab categories from August - food and misc. expenses - and I somehow managed to double count the money in my September budget. I only realised when I did a rough tot up of available money and my actual bank balance that I discovered I was short by that exact same amount, approx. £22. I'm really glad I noticed it sooner rather than later, otherwise it may have caused me to become overdrawn. Will have to figure out how I went wrong and sort it for next month. I think I swept up the accounts on 1st September, rather that 31st August, by which time my September budget had been calculated to include the leftover category spending. Or something like that! Doh.

Anyway, the good news is that I think I can get a new laptop through work!! Yay!. This is going to be so helpful for me in terms of saving me some dosh and ensuring I can continue to work at home (thus saving fuel and car parking costs). But, the even better thing is it will satiate any spending fever I may have over the next month or so. Bonus.

Having another NSD today - homemade soup and bread for lunch and leftover chicken curry for dinner. Need to post an eb4y item that sold last night but I don't count that as spending as it nets down to income overall. The £9 will pay for my unanticipated July overdraft fees, so I've replenished my misc. expenses category in ynab. Phew.

Only one more direct debit to leave my account (broadband) and then the new dual fuel direct debit. Hopefully we'll get a rebate from our existing providers.

DSL :j
  • DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:36PM
    Today has been another working at home day and I've also had another NSD. Made some soup last night which will do for lunch for the rest of the week.

Today I decided to add a 1% voluntary contribution (matched by my employer) to my pension, meaning I now put away 9%. It's not much more ££s a month and I can use my August salary adjustment to cover it without reducing my net salary. I had earmarked that extra money for my emergency budget but decided against that. I want to retire earlier than 67 so I'm playing the long game.

I feel like my new spending habits are bedding in now. I'm super focused on paying off my debt before 1st July 2018 and then thinking about saving for the future and my retirement. I'm also really enjoying budgeting with ynab - I'm very much a visual person who likes organisation and systems, so the whole process appeals to me and I'm finding it positive rather than problematic. That, along with my love of a challenge, means I feel super positive. There will be bumps in the road for sure, and I'm realistic to the fact that life will get in the way, sooner or later. But so far, so good.

Been watching more Dave Ramsey videos in zoutube over the past few days. I find them really motivating and helpful in keeping me focused on the end goal.

I've got a couple of work visits this month to deal with - I will need to use my CC to pay for one train journey which is super frustrating since I think the expenses from the organisation I'm visiting won't be processed in time to avoid interest. It's going to be about £180 in total, which is no small amount. But, can't do anything about that so just have to deal with it. The other trip can be paid for in advance by my work, which is helpful.

• DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:37PM
    Just had to book a travel ticket for a forthcoming work visit - £90 on CC1. Hopefully I'll get the reimbursement next month. The £90 will be paid off by the over payment I will be making on 1st Oct so no interest payable. Still, my ynab category for work expenses is now orange and will stay that way for at least 6 weeks I reckon. Big sigh. And the CC balance is now back over £1K. Double sigh.

Anyone else have any better suggestions for budgeting reimbursements and work expenses that can't be paid for in advance by work?
  • i used to have a separate account for work expenses. I opened it with £100 and had to spend out of it first, when work reimbursed me I gave them the details of that account so it was paid straight into the expenses account, or paid cheques straight in there.
    I had a debit card so could book train tickets, pay for fuel etc.

Because I did a lot of miles (so it would work for you) I was able to build up a positive balance in the account and could eventually withdraw the original start up money.
    I appreciate this won't work if you are only getting back what you pay out - with miles you do get a bit towards wear and tear of the vehicle, so that really helps.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • i used to have a separate account for work expenses. I opened it with £100 and had to spend out of it first, when work reimbursed me I gave them the details of that account so it was paid straight into the expenses account, or paid cheques straight in there.
    I had a debit card so could book train tickets, pay for fuel etc.

Because I did a lot of miles (so it would work for you) I was able to build up a positive balance in the account and could eventually withdraw the original start up money.
    I appreciate this won't work if you are only getting back what you pay out - with miles you do get a bit towards wear and tear of the vehicle, so that really helps.

Oooh, that sounds a really good idea - furnishing a separate account with, say £100, and then using it for work expenses and replinisng it as and when they are reimbursed. I guess it needs an initial outlay but it does help isolate work expense within my ynab categories. Good idea! For me in general, its only likely to be the odd coffee, odd lunch, odd tube journey etc etc. The bigger expenses (hotels and train journeys) I can normally get work to pay for in advance.

Will try to start this off in October. Thanks!
  • DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:38PM
    Called up my broadband supplier today to speak about switching our home phone/broadband plan. We have rubbish download speeds and expensive calls and I was considering leaving and going to a new supplier. We currently have irregular monthly bills that hover around the £45 mark (I know, expensive!!) and with me working at home more this year, I need a cheaper solution.

They were really helpful and gave me a really good retention deal - fibre broadband (10x faster download speed) with unlimited anytime calls, unlimited international landline anytime calls, 1500 anytime mobile calls and a free router / connection charge for fibre broadband all for £32 per month. :T

No need to enter a new contract (thus no credit check) and as an extra bonus I get a 5gb data boost per month on my mobile contract (same supplier). Not bad for a days work.

Only slight problem is I will need to stay on a pay monthly contract with EE when my phone contract expires in December to keep the monthly 5gb data boost. My plan was to go pay as you go as my phone is working fine but PAYG isn't eligible for the 5gb data boost. The SIM only contract however is - the cheapest is £10 per month. But, I'm not sure if they will do a new credit check or not? I'm trying to avoid any new credit checks for mortgage AIP in the new year.

Had a NSD so far but need to do a small food shop for dinner.

Yesterday, I bought a cheap laptop sleeve for my new laptop from eb4y - £4.99 plus a smaller accessories pouch for £1.99. Its a cheap solution and avoids spending £££s on branded cases.

• DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:39PM
    Not much to report on from the past few days. Had a quiet weekend doing odd jobs about the house and catching up on a few things. Had a NSD yesterday (Sunday). Saturday was a food shop.

Had a roast last night for dinner so the leftovers should do for dinner over the next couple of days, which Is pleasing. Need to make a soup at some point this week.

In the office this week but fuel already in the car, so hopefully I can stick to my fuel budget for this month. It might be tight. Will take in lunches.

Hoping for a few NSDs this week - today being one of them.

Its approaching the middle of the month and in terms of spending, I'm feeling okay and in control. My budget is tight and I do have urges to spend now and again, but I think that's more habit that anything else. However, I do have a bit of an odd feeling at the moment - almost like there is a void that has been left by not frittering. Maybe its just part of the adjustment process.

No luck on my 4 eb4y items - this is the third round of selling them I've gone through but I'm not willing to drop the prices so will just keep them going - I'm in no rush for the cash, unlike last month!

The only overspend I've had this month is the work train fare, which is annoying, but it's been good in alerting me to the fact I need a category in ynab for work expenses - I've decided on a starting float next month of £100. This will also act as a nice account buffer for those months when I don't use it.

I also think it would be wise to have a misc. household category in my budget. I haven't accounted for any small but unexpected spends, for example washers for taps, filters for the hob extractor etc etc. Might start that off next month too.

My personal misc. category is looking a bit sorry for itself as I had to spend £8 on overdraft fees and £3 on moisturiser (it wasn't available to buy on points in Bo0ts but was half price in Sup3rdrug).

Hoping that my work fee will get paid this month as I need to top up a few birthday budgets for the coming months.

Hope everyone has a good MSE week!

• DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 September 2017 at 12:14PM
    Finally sold a dress on eb4y last night! Its been on there for nearly 1 month but I was stubbornly refusing to reduce the price. I won! A nice little £13 income after fees. It's gone straight into my emergency fund, which I have to say is looking a bit sorry for itself after my ynab end of month calculation error and then having to borrow from it to pay new elec/gas supplier direct debit. Still, its back up to £84.21.

Dave Ramsey says we should build a $1000 emergency fund as the first step of becoming debt free, followed by the second step which is the debt repayment snowball. I've taken a leap over step 1 and gone straight into step 2 because I want to pay off my debt asap. My calculations tell me it will take 11 months to shift £10k, so my debt free date is July 1st 2018.

But, I do feel a bit naughty doing it this way. I understand the logic behind building an emergency fund but I don't want to lose a month from my repayment goal.

I have a pretty comprehensive budget (save for a few early teething problems!) and I have the short term luxury of being able to rely on DF for any big or proper emergencies over the next 9 months. I know I need to stop relying on DF for financial security and I will deliver on this promise when the debt is paid off.

What do you all do with regards to an emergency budget? Did you build an emergency budget first, before beginning the debt repayments? Are you building it alongside debt repayments? How is that going?
  • ChasingSunshine
    ChasingSunshine Posts: 237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 7:59PM
    I preferred to have a small emergency fund but it was only about £150 - enough for a last minute flight home essentially as I hated debt and just wanted out of it. I am renting though so don't have any house maintenance issues. It's not what other people on here do and most recommend £500 as minimum and 1000 if you are a homeowner so that you can avoid spending on credit cards again if something goes wrong.

If your DF is ok to bridge any immediate emergencies you might have in the next few months then focus on paying down debt and you could always make your share another debt that you could owe him back when the interest charging stuff is sorted. Could always dedicate 'extra' money like 3Bay sales to the emergency fund and it will slowly build up.

It might take you a few months to just see what works best for you and plans can always change if you think thats needed.
  • Its an interesting one. There was a thread years ago by memorygirl that was called something like '47p and three nappies'. The bank pulled the plug on her business overnight, all credit stopped, all accounts closed and she was left with just that, single mum on her own with nothing. That is one argument for an emergency fund, kept somewhere away from your main banking facility.
    Her blog is mortgagefreeinthree.com, some useful resources and recipes.

I used most of our emergency fund to clear the last couple of debts so that we can remortgage, but I am focussing on living well within our means to build it back up as quickly as I can. I can't assume that credit will still be freely available if the fiscal famine hits the Redo household again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure