PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting to know you........

Comments

• Vermilion
    Vermilion Posts: 33 Forumite
    Hello :hello:

I’m Ver, wish I had a million but don’t so am making do with the user name. Recently turned 50 (how did that happen!) part time office worker. Like animals of just about any description - have been known to take apart the vacuum cleaner to rescue spiders. :o

Being a useless money saver I am hoping I can learn to mend my ways on this fantastic site. Everyone seems so friendly here and I’d love to be able to fit in. :) Having just mastered the smileys thing I think I have gotten a bit carried away :D

Ver. :wave:
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Hi,

I'm nearly 25, and work full time for the local council, will soon also have an additional job as a part time slimming consultant, I also do voluntary work once a week with a little autistic boy. Partner and I bought our first house almost a year ago, and what with the mortgage and me trying to pay off my student loans as quickly as possible being into old-style moneysaving really helps!

I used to be not at all old style though, at uni I frittered my money away on rubbish and would have laughed at most of the stuff on this board. But although I initially started cutting back out of necessity I've really got into old-style ways and am proud to buy all my clothes from charity shops (they have been a lifesaver as I recently lost 2 stone and could never have afforded to replace my whole wardrobe with brand new clothes), cook a lot of my meals from scratch, re-use and recycle whenever I can, and spend as little as possible in supermarkets. But as we spend so much less on those things, we find that we can still afford good holidays as long as I do lots of research to get the best deals, and we are really happy with how we have decorated and furnished the house but many items were in half price sales or second hand.

In a year or to I really hope to re-train and become a primary teacher, and by then I hope to have repaid student debts, and after that we can think about getting married and starting a family.

I've got so much information from this forum and people on here are so friendly and helpful it feels like a real community. Especially as many people I know would think I was mad if they knew all my money-saving ways, whereas you guys understand.

Sarah
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • mrsn_2
    mrsn_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi

I am 30 something, married and also have 7 dogs,1 cat and 7 chickens to look after. Hubby decided 2 yrs ago to give up his job (the stress and invasion into "our time" was ridiculous) we sold our house down south and have moved to rural lincs, where we bought a run down house with a bit of land. Have wasted an awful lot of money in our time - but much happier here, with hubby and no money.

Like others - I love this website and am addicted to moneysaving, to the point of being boring !!!

Karen :wave:
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,645
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi,
    I am 38 and re-married with 3 kids. Devasted when my first husband left me for a 19 year old!! My mum had died 6 weeks before and I thought it was the end of the world.
    Now happily re-married. Look at my ex husband and wonder what I ever saw in him.
    Took the plunge and took voluntary redundancy from the civil service a few months ago. Nice to actually have a few thousand in the bank and have the money to do the house up.
    Now working in the NHS - job share18.5 hours per week in a much less stressful job that I really enjoy.
    Am spending far to long on this site. I am neglecting tidying up etc etc.
    Am addicted to MSE, keep having sneaky little visits when I think the family won't notice.
    Lovely to read about you all.
    Avid Evertonian.
    Love
    Anne
    Money SPENDING Expert

• lazylins
    lazylins Posts: 199 Forumite
    hi,

i havent posted for a while, but i read the new posts everyday!!

my names lindsey, iam 22 and a stay at home mum to two boys. william whos 3 and thomas whos 1. i live with my OH in a small flat, i hope to move soon!!

my hobbies are scrapbooking, card making, cross stitch and knitting.

my fave author is terry pratchett, iam a mad fan!! i have all books in soft and hard back and even collect discworld stamps!!

i love reading the old style posts as they are so helpful and i learn something usefull everyday!!
  • LearningToSave.
    LearningToSave. Posts: 1,428 Forumite
    im 27,married to my lovely dh who is also 27.
    have two dd's who are 2(nearly 3) and 7 months.
    love oldstyle and cant thank everyone on here for helping me to learn to cook and save on my grocery shopping!!-i now spend less than half what i did!!
    im a stay at home mum as i am unable to work due to my husbands shift pattern.
    lurk on here learning all sorts and also on the rest of MSE.ebay as much as possible too to try and bring an extra bit of cash in.
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,623
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm a Mum to one 7 year old son, separated from his Dad, soon to be divorced. Now have new partner and a grumpy Ginger cat!

Always been a bit of thrifty person - I just can't stand waste. Have discovered the joys of growing my own veg by growing a few tomatoes last year and this year I'm growing anything and everything possible!

I have 2 part time jobs doing admin / accounts type stuff.

I can see that this site is going to be addictive.
  • Nickynoo1
    Nickynoo1 Posts: 390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

I'm a single 33year old young girl. Happy to be single, no kids, but trying to juggle all the bills, mortgage and debts on my own. Quite a challenge some months.

i work onboard a ferry and have a part time pub job. Not been on here as much lately cos the work thing keeps getting in the way.

I like running, cycling (not good at either, but i like it!) and will be doing the london to brighton bike ride in June. Wish me luck!!

Nicky
    16/06/16 £11446 30/12/16 £9661.49
    01/08/17 £7643.69
  • powie69
    powie69 Posts: 297 Forumite
    I work part time selling lubricants 3 days a week, and spend the rest of my time at home with my 21 month old son, husband and pet cat (powie). I also enjoy surfing the web, making chutney and finding excuses for not having to do the housework!
    A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water.:D
  • Bun
    Bun Posts: 872 Forumite
    What a fantastic thread - it's so nice to get to know a little more about people you regularly check on for good advice.

I'm Bun, am 34 and my family are a baby boy of one, hubby(and soulmate) and 4 tabbies (hence all the posts about cat wee :eek:) I work part-time in magazine publishing, although in the future I am hoping to be a SAHM and then would like to retrain to go into something more worthwhile.....it's very inspiring to see what others on here manage to fit in. I found this site after hearing Martin on the Jeremy Vine show about 18 months ago. It has been a huge influence - with everyone's help (I was a long-time lurker) we have sorted our finances out and I am now cooking all food from scratch and thoroughly enjoying keeping to a budget We are also able to save a little as a result despite my cut in salary. Hubby is also enjoying growing his own veg for the first time.
    Nice to meet you all :T
    Annabeth Charlotte arrived on 7th February 2008, 2.5 weeks early :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family