PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ingredients

200 g self raising flour
    75 g butter (preferably unsalted)
    2 ripe bananas
    75 g caster sugar
    50 ml milk
    1 egg (lightly beaten)
    75 g choc chips or chopped dark chocolate

For the chocolate sauce:

90 g caster sugar
    50 ml water
    175 g dark choc chips/chopped dark chocolate
    25 g butter
    2 tbsp brandy or orange juice

Method

Grease and line the base of a 1 litre/1 3/4 pint pudding basin. Put an upturned saucer in the bottom of the slowcooker, pour in 1 inch of hot water and set cooker to high.

Sift flour and rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. In another bowl, mash bananas, then stir into flour/butter mixture. Add sugar and mix well.
    I a clean bowl, whick together the milk and egg. Beat this into banana mixture. Stir in choc chips and spoon into pudding basin. Cover with a double layer of buttered foil and place in slow cooker. Add boiling water to slowcooker until it comes to just over 1/2 way up sides of pudding basin.

Put lid on clow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until pudding is well risen and skewer comes out clean. Turn off slowcooker but leave basin in water whilst you make the sauce.

For sauce - put sugar and water in heavy bottomed pan and heat gently, stirring with a wooden spoon, until all the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat. add chocolate and stir until melted. Stir in brandy or orange juice.

Remove pudding from slow cooker, loosen with a knife and turn out onto a warmed serving dish. Serve hot with sauce poured over it.

Also nice with a good quality vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy :drool:
  • bigburd
    bigburd Posts: 117 Forumite
    Well.........after reading through a huge chunk of this yesterday I dusted my slow cooker off and made the jam sponge pudding that's posted in one of the first pages...SUPERB!!! really nice, I will try it next time with syrup. I was inspired to keep going - but here's my problem - I bought some porridge oats, bunged in the desired amount of milk and thought...Bob's yer Uncle, no more teenagers messing up the kitchen on cold school mornings making it in the microwave!! My cooker is ancient...it was a wedding present and must be 16 years old therefore no low/high temp setting. I have just got up to find that although the remaining liquidy stuff on the top is good, a fair bit has sunk to the bottom and is slightly burn-on!! If any of you clever people regularly make porridge in yours can you advise me?
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    toozie wrote:
    This week I bought some porK ribs from Tesco, about 10 ribs for £1.46. Yesterday morning, put them straight into the slow cooker (from fridge) and poured boiling water over to cover. Cooked on slow all day, about an hour before we wanted to eat, took them out and put in a meat tin in the oven on low to keep warm, and get rid of that 'boiled look'-the meat was just about staying onto the rib!
    Put the water from the slow cooker into a pan and boiled it, until it reduced by half, with some chinese all-spice, and a splash of soy sauce.

Turned up the oven, poured the juice over the ribs, and cooked for a further 20 to 30 mins, spooning the juice over the ribs every 10 mins or so.

The result was sticky, yummy ribs-better than a take away stated hubby, with the meat so tender it melted in the mouth.

Served with HM savory rice, using up lonely pepper, mushroom, carrot, and onion etc.

Definately on the menu again-nice Saturnday night infront of the TV meal!!
    Making this one for my tea tonight,I hope it comes out as yummy as yours. Ribs have been in the slow cooker all day :T
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have gammon in mine at the moment. No idea how long it will take to cook. Any ideas.

Good job it is for freezer and I have something else planned for tea tonight.

I have not made a huge amount of use of my SC yet but have made rice pudding a couple of times and my husband adores it.

Yum.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Calleyw - I cook Gammon joints in my slow cooker, and put them on low for around 8 hours, or high for around 5 hours.

Nicola
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Turkey with Red wine and cranberry:

500g diced turkey steaks
    150ml red wine (I just use any old cheap plonk!)
    150ml chicken stock
    3 tbsp cranberry sauce

Put into slow cooker all day on low, or 3-5 hours on high. Add sliced mushrooms and thicken with cornflour around 1 hour before serving.

Even my casserole/stew-hating husband enjoys this! It freezes well too.

Nicola
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    jack92 wrote:
    Calleyw - I cook Gammon joints in my slow cooker, and put them on low for around 8 hours, or high for around 5 hours.

Nicola

It has been on high for 3 hours and an hour on low. Husband is going to take it out and cut down the middle and have a look to see if it is cooked.

Might go and turn it back up to high for a little while.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • toadhall
    toadhall Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    i want to do spag bog do i need to brown the mince first? anyone got a recipe please.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Spaghetti Bolognese:

Dry fry the mince in the pan until browned.
    Add a chopped onion, sliced mushrooms and sliced green pepper.
    Add garlic black pepper, mixed herbs and tin of chopped tomatoes.
    Stir in a stock cube and some red wine.
    Simmer for 20 minutes and serve.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport