Income related ESA and pension

Options
Please could someone advise me. I have no savings. In May 2016 I will be 60 and my Defined Benefits pension can be accessed. I would like to take £6000 as a lump sum and the rest as monthly payments, which of course will be deducted from my benefits.
My question is will this be allowed or will the £6000 be treated as earnings, even though I have no other savings?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/advben/bnftsadvc/benguide/benstartwork/less16/

"Pension payments count in full for income-related ESA. One-off lump sums are treated as capital. "
  • nina_simone
    nina_simone Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if I sound completely ignorant xylophone does that mean I can have the £6000 as my only capital and my ESA will be reduced by my monthly pension amount?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's more on the rules at DWP benefits and pension freedom .

If you take a £6,000 lump sum and monthly income payments you will be treated as having £6,000 added to your savings and the monthly pension income will count as income.

If 60 is not the normal retirement age for your defined benefit pension then it is quite likely to make you better off by waiting as long as you can until you take any of it. This is because taking a defined benefit pension earlier than its normal retirement age reduces the amount you get. Do you perhaps have any defined contribution or personal pensions? Do you maybe have credit cards or other credit available that is not particularly expensive? Depending on how much the reduction in the defined benefit pension is for taking it early it could well be cheaper to pay even mainstream credit card interest rates than taking the pension early.

If you do have personal or defined benefit pensions what you need to know about those is that whether the money taken out is treated as capital or income depends on how often it is taken. If you were to take a lump sum of £6k from such a pension, 25% tax free and 75% taxable, that would count as a lump sum and savings. If you took no regular income but instead topped up the savings with another lump sum when they dropped to perhaps £1k that might again be treated as a lump sum, not income. Be sure that you vary the levels/frequency with which you take the lump sum so that there is not a set pattern that looks like income.

If you do decide to take the defined benefit money, remember that you can pay £2880 net into a personal pension and get 25% added as basic rate tax relief to increase it to £3600. You can then take that out. Probably all tax free if you are on a low income so it's all within your personal allowance. The Virgin stakeholder pension is a good one to use for this because it has no charges for doing it. You can do this even if you have no earned income in the tax year of the contribution. It's a great way for those on low incomes to get some extra free money.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, if you CAN take it at 60, but 65 is the normal age, wait to take it.
  • nina_simone
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, it is very much appreciated. My Defined Benefits Pension must be taken next year when I am 60. I need the £6k as I have no savings at all ( which is less than I am entitled to take as a lump sum) giving me a higher monthly income from the pension which I know will be deducted from any income related benefits I will be on.
  • atush
    Options
    Good choice to take some LS if you have no savings, even better to understand to take a higher pension if you can. And to have waited to take your pension w/o an actuarial reduction

I wont ask how you can get to 60 w/o any savings at all apart from pension, but good luck going forwards.
  • nina_simone
    Options
    The thing is Atush, I grew up in a time where if you didn't have money then you didn't buy anything but essentials. At least I now own my own property and everything in it. I can honestly say that the best thing I never owned was a credit card.
  • atush
    Options
    I can say a Credit card is a good thing, if yo know how to use it properly.

as you can get money interest free for up to 56 days, unlike the loan sharks, and it allows emergency spending and foreign travel.

To each their own
  • nina_simone
    Options
    Please don't think I was being rude in that last statement regarding a credit card. It was just my ignorance of it's proper use. and I'm very sorry if I have offended anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure