Massive Dual fuel bill

Options
I'm guessing it's just tough luck, but pretty annoyed.

We were on a fixed 12 month dual fuel tariff with eon. It ended in November (my bad, thought it ended February). We didn't have a letter from eon about it ending.

We have reverted to the standard tariff and as a result, our bill is nearly £600 instead of the £200-300 Mark.

We have never been in debit in the account but now are, but I feel that this is unfair as the price hikes are steep!

8.2p to 15.7p for electric and 1.6p to 3.9p for gas. Our bill for November to January 2018 (1336kwh electricity; 9324 kWh gas) is £580. Last November to January it was (1119lwk electric; 8786 kWh gas) £288. I know our useage has increased but I thought energy companies had to put you on their cheaper tariff?

:rudolf: Christmas and OS MS Addict :rudolf:

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wouldnt it have been an email not a letter ? Maybe it’s in junk mail or you just missed it.

Afaik they don’t have to do anything. I think there are proposals for that.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    The cheapest tarrifs are on direct debit,they cannot dictate you set up one so this automatically transfered to the cheapest tariff seems puzzling.The standard tariff is the most expensive.

Prepayment meters does offer a cheaper rate because of the cap but once removed British Gas didn't want to put me back on prepayment mode instead they insisted in sending a meter reader around to look in everyroom for another gas meter despite the meter being outside and refused to put my smart meter back into prepayment because i woudn't allow this person into my property.Why not an electricity meter as well? once off of prepayment its hard to be put back on the obvious choice was not to pay the bill and then how quickly it would be converted was another matter.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, a big increase in the costs per Kwh of both Gas & Elec.

But this isn't all down to stumbling onto the Standard variable tariff, in the period you were protected by your previous Fixed Tariff, the prices of Gas & Elec rose considerably - Check out the fixed deal prices now offered by Eon to see for yourself

Use the opportunity to visit some comparison sites, including Switchwithwhich, and search for 'Electric only' and 'Gas only' as well as dual fuel
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    Energy companies have to inform you that "cheaper tariffs may be available " not put you on their cheapest tariffs automatically.All energy prices took a fairly hefty rise last year from the bargain 8 p /kwh rates I enjoyed last year. Time to visit the comparison websites and either switch or like me , get onto eons latest dual fuel fix which I found was not far off the cheapest in the UK when I took into account the £30 cashback and discounts
    You missed the boat when your one year fix ended in November.
    Learn your lesson and don`t repeat it.
    its only similar to those other one year specials which we have to remember such as house/car insurance or breakdown cover with the mantra "never automatically renew "
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you get energy bills or statments on line, then it really is up to you to check them regularaly to make sure that you enrgy readings are correct and that your direct debits are covering your consumption. At the same time you can check that your tariff is still the same and for any infomation that the energy company wishes to impart.
    Most companies will E-mail you when bills are available and also for any other info and you should ensure that these arent being filterd into your junk mail folder and getting lost.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    We were on a fixed 12 month dual fuel tariff with eon. It ended in November (my bad, thought it ended February).

8.2p to 15.7p for electric and 1.6p to 3.9p for gas.

Are you sure about those prices? I was looking at switching in late 2016 and there was nothing in my area(Midlands) approaching that price.

Many of us switched to the MSE BG 12 month fix around that period as it was the cheapest at 9.02p electricity and 2.541p gas with 21.809p DSC for each.

Not saying you are wrong, but if those prices were offered to me by MSE cheap energy club I would have switched and paid the penalty for early termination.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Are you sure about those prices? I was looking at switching in late 2016 and there was nothing in my area(Midlands) approaching that price.

Many of us switched to the MSE BG 12 month fix around that period as it was the cheapest at 9.02p electricity and 2.541p gas with 21.809p DSC for each.

Not saying you are wrong, but if those prices were offered to me by MSE cheap energy club I would have switched and paid the penalty for early termination.

I agree ....haven't seen a leccy price that low in my area for years EVEN WITH the various collective deals ...and the gas price is comfortably lower than I've managed for a few years.:(
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm guessing it's just tough luck, but pretty annoyed.

We were on a fixed 12 month dual fuel tariff with eon. It ended in November (my bad, thought it ended February). We didn't have a letter from eon about it ending.

We have reverted to the standard tariff and as a result, our bill is nearly £600 instead of the £200-300 Mark.

We have never been in debit in the account but now are, but I feel that this is unfair as the price hikes are steep!

8.2p to 15.7p for electric and 1.6p to 3.9p for gas. Our bill for November to January 2018 (1336kwh electricity; 9324 kWh gas) is £580. Last November to January it was (1119lwk electric; 8786 kWh gas) £288. I know our useage has increased but I thought energy companies had to put you on their cheaper tariff?

Hello popularfurball. Thought it might help to let you know what happens when contracted products like the one you were on last year near the end.

We contact customers on these products between 42 and 49 days before the tariff end date. As well as letting them know their tariff is ending, we also advise them of the Price Protection window should they wish to change supplier. This window is open 49 calendar days before a fixed tariff ends until 20 working days after. Provided we're told, we'll keep customers on the cheaper prices whilst the switch goes through. Any exit fees also don't apply whilst in this window.

To help customers keep up to date with our prices/tariffs, we put information on bills, statements and annual summaries. This lets them know if they could pay less by making changes like switching tariff, payment method or meter.

Industry rules mean we're not allowed to put customers on contracted products, like the one you were on, without talking to them first. Without this conversation, customers automatically go on to a variable, non-contracted tariff once their agreed contract runs out. This is explained on the renewal notices we send.

Rather than wait for us, customers can take more control through our website. All our eligible tariffs are listed on there and customers can switch at any time. Exit fees don't apply when moving from one E.ON tariff to another.

As others have said, it's always good to pop your usage in kWh on to the independent Price Comparison Sites. This will list all the options available both with us and with the other suppliers.

Hope this explains popularfurball. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure