Ex owes me £2700

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    avogadro wrote: »
    Does he go to work, OP? Could you not pop round and get your few things while he's out? Clearly he knows full well that a court isn't going to do anything, otherwise he would not be goading you with phrases like "see you in court'

However, if you can afford it, I would get the advice of a solicitor.
    A court will do something, as I explained......
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Comms69 wrote: »
    A court will do something, as I explained......

Comms69 (whose posting style is remarkably similar to that of Guest101 - coincidence?) I think you've made your points loud and clear several times on this thread, and doubtless on others too.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 (whose posting style is remarkably similar to that of Guest101 - coincidence?) I think you've made your points loud and clear several times on this thread, and doubtless on others too.

Ok? I don't understand the issue to be honest, you seem offended at the thought of actually following the law.
  • System
    Scamming somebody out of £2700 and their belongings doesn't seem that law-abiding to me.
  • Comms69
    Scamming somebody out of £2700 and their belongings doesn't seem that law-abiding to me.

I agree with you, but does that mean the OP should go 'vigilante'.

You broke my car window, so i'll throw a brick through your front room window? You stole my phone, so I'm stealing your dog?

The whole point is that a law exists to help the OP.

Had this been an assault I doubt the advice would be to grab a bat and pop back there for some retribution. This really is no different.
  • obay
    obay Posts: 570 Forumite
    Judge Rinder regularly gets the law wrong. It's why his 'court' is considered ADR, on the small claims track.

Recepits don't prove ownership. Texts don't prove a debt.

What does ADR mean?
    [STRIKE]1/12/16 - £152,599.00 [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]11/11/17 - £145,990.00 [/STRIKE] <> Overpaid £3916.
    11/11/18 - £142,074.00
    Barclays Car (5.99%)£0/£8,832.37
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    obay wrote: »
    What does ADR mean?

Alternative dispute resolution

• Oh my. Thank you all so much for your advise.
    I was planning on sending him a letter of intent and just wanted a template of some sort.

The police said if I entered using the key, it's robbery. Although that was 101 and they didn't really know what to do. I think a trip to CAB is needed.

He actually emailed me last night saying he took it all to the tip on Sunday. ( he didn't ) he's just being a jerk.

The items are more sentimental as it was my nans furniture therefore no receipts.

You live and learn.

Yes I paid half of all bills including mortgage but all are in his name. :-(

The money is my main concern. More because it's just not right or a nice thing to do. You'd think after a 4 year relationship I would know what a douche bag better.

Onwards and upwards

Cheers guys
  • System
    I agree with you, but does that mean the OP should go 'vigilante'.

You broke my car window, so i'll throw a brick through your front room window? You stole my phone, so I'm stealing your dog?

But had you stolen my dog I'd come round and get it back :D
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Lizzy___b wrote: »
    Oh my. Thank you all so much for your advise.
    I was planning on sending him a letter of intent and just wanted a template of some sort.

The police said if I entered using the key, it's robbery. Although that was 101 and they didn't really know what to do. I think a trip to CAB is needed.

He actually emailed me last night saying he took it all to the tip on Sunday. ( he didn't ) he's just being a jerk.

The items are more sentimental as it was my nans furniture therefore no receipts.

You live and learn.

Yes I paid half of all bills including mortgage but all are in his name. :-(

The money is my main concern. More because it's just not right or a nice thing to do. You'd think after a 4 year relationship I would know what a douche bag better.

Onwards and upwards

Cheers guys

LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Dear <ex's name>

On <date> I lent you £2700 which you put towards purchasing your house, on the agreement that you would pay it back shortly afterwards.

As you have failed to pay it back, I am now requesting the full sum of £2700 to be paid back to me via bank transfer within 14 days of receipt of this letter.

Upon the termination of our relationship, I also left the following possessions in your house:

<list possessions >

I require these possessions returning within 14 days of receipt of this letter in their original condition, so please contact me IN WRITING to arrange this.

If both the above are not carried out within 14 days of receipt of this letter, then I shall be taking the matter to court where your shall then also be responsible for all court costs involved.

Regarding my belongings, I have valued them at <£X> which is the value I shall be seeking in court if they are not returned. (Attempt to quantify losses...)

This letter has been sent first class with proof of postage, and will be deemed served two days after posting.

Kind regards,

<you>
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure