PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on selling

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    More like this SSTC

gives an idea of what has been selling close by

how does this compare

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57775801.html

or this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46462197.html

looking at the sold prices there is not a load of similar
    sold 1year 1/2mile

people are buying 3 bed semis.
  • Looking at your photos I would assume that the missing bedroom or bedrooms are the smaller ones and that the bathroom is dodgy. I wouldn't view on that basis. You are going to have do something to get good photos of them if you want to sell as rest is lovely
    Saving for a deposit. £5440 of £11000 saved so far:j
  • Mrs36
    Mrs36 Posts: 193 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 10:08AM
    You are assuming that they sold for full asking price, you need to go on actual, real sold prices.

You can show us links all day long, but for whatever reason people prefer those properties to yours. If the reduction doesn't bring a boat load of viewers through the door and at that point you aren't prepared to consider that the price may still be too high then you will have to wait for that one person who wants YOUR house over any others.

I appreciate that YOU feel your house is worth that, but the lack of viewings says otherwise. Hopefully the reduction and featured property listing will bring new interest.
  • Llerryt
    Llerryt Posts: 43
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks

The couple of links of houses nearby we see as similar to ours, the first seemed cheap, for house slightly smaller and sold very fast. The 2nd, on at 215 is where we see ours being really, that one larger, older house, but on a very busy main road, ours is set back, away from the traffic.

Of the missing bedroom, it is the master bedroom without the photo, with en suite shower, but as I posted before, photos do no justice to it what so ever, and every image made the room look dark. That's why we left it out.

Im hoping the better weather brings out some new house hunters.
  • Bigrachel
    Bigrachel Posts: 36 Forumite
    Who took the pictures?

It is usually just a case of waiting. Someone will come! I would suggest trying to brighten up the pictures a little (if you know what you're doing).
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57775801.html This one is a nicer looking house than yours. It is also vacant so a buyer isn't waiting for someone to move out and best of all it has a neutral decoration which is what sells houses because personal taste can put people off. No one is going to pay you for your personal taste.

Your selling price should be based on what this house sold for because that is the value of a 3 bed detached house in your area.
  • Cakeguts
    Forumite
    Llerryt wrote: »
    Thanks

The couple of links of houses nearby we see as similar to ours, the first seemed cheap, for house slightly smaller and sold very fast. The 2nd, on at 215 is where we see ours being really, that one larger, older house, but on a very busy main road, ours is set back, away from the traffic.

Of the missing bedroom, it is the master bedroom without the photo, with en suite shower, but as I posted before, photos do no justice to it what so ever, and every image made the room look dark. That's why we left it out.

Im hoping the better weather brings out some new house hunters.

You cannot compare your house to the one on the main road. You have to compare your house to the other small modern 3 bed house close by. The one on the main road is probably about twice the size of your house and on a plot that is at least twice the size. The main road is not the most desirable position but your house is also not in a desirable area. It may be set back from the road but it is in the middle of a huge council estate. The council estate is a problem. You can buy a house for £210 that is not anywhere near a council estate. For many people the location is more important than whether a house is detached or not.

If you buy a cheap house you have to be prepared to sell it cheap. Houses are cheap for a reason. Your house had two reasons. 1 The location. 2 It needed decorating. Number 2 you can change. Number 1 you can't. The location is the main reason for the price of a house. The fewer people who want to live in a particular location the lower the price. The more people trying to live in a particular location the higher the price. A small terraced house in a prime location will cost more than a detached house in a non desirable location.
    You have a detached house in a non desirable location. You can tell this because people have been paying more for semi detached houses in other parts of Gloucester. Your buyer will be someone who doesn't have enough money to buy a house in a more desirable location. So your price has to be lower than a 3 bed house of the same size somewhere else. The people who sold the detached 3 bed house that is more attractive to look at than yours got this right and they have sold the house. You have got it wrong and you haven't had any offers. It is that simple.
  • Cakeguts
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 1:45PM
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46978695.html Here is what I think of your house from the point of view of me buying it.

I wouldn't buy it because I personally wouldn't pay extra for a detached house that is the same size as the local semis. For me a detached house has to be bigger. Anyway here goes.

I don't like the colour of the decoration in the living room I would have to repaint it.

I don't like the fire surround or the fire. So I would change that.

The kitchen is obviously very small because a large fridge won't fit in it and it needs repainting because it has that strange green/brown paint on the walls.

One of the bedrooms has strange cupboards above the head of the bed and those would have to go because I am tall and I could keep banging my head on the corner of them when making the bed. The wall paper in there is horrible.

The small bedroom has a strange shelf attached to the wall with a television above it. That room will need redecorating because I would want to use that room as a bedroom and so don't need the shelf or television in it. I am a bit worried about that room because it looks too small to be a bedroom and I can't imagine what it would look like with a bed in it. I don't want to find that I am having to pay £210k for 3 bed house where the 3rd bedroom is too small for a bed.

The bathroom has a shower attachment on the taps. This is a £210k detached house and there isn't even a proper shower over the bath with a plastic shower door just this cheap thing on the bath taps.

There is no photo of the en suite so I can only guess how cheap the fittings are in there.

The back garden is a mess with a strange bit of decking and paved area and what looks like chicken wire round the plants. There is obviously and eye sore behind the fence because they have tried to screen it with trees and bamboo screening.

I can see that the house backs onto a council estate.

So the house need redecorating it needs to have the bathroom updated, and it needs something done about that cheap fire surround and fire in the living room. The garden needs to have some attention. The third bedroom is too small for a bed because there isn't one in there.

I don't think I will bother to view because it is too expensive for a house on a council estate and it is too small for what they are asking since it isn't a 3 bed house it is only a 2 1/2 bed house and it needs a lot of money spent on it.

There is a reason why estate agents tell sellers to use neutral colours like cream to decorate a house for sale. I don't like your taste in decoration so I am not going to pay you extra for it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57775801.html This one is a nicer looking house than yours. It is also vacant so a buyer isn't waiting for someone to move out and best of all it has a neutral decoration which is what sells houses because personal taste can put people off. No one is going to pay you for your personal taste.

Your selling price should be based on what this house sold for because that is the value of a 3 bed detached house in your area.

and that one had a very small master

BEDROOM 1
    0' 0'' x 0' 0'' (0.00m x 0.00m)
    UPVC double glazed window to front, radiator, T.V point, door to en-suite.
  • Llerryt
    Llerryt Posts: 43
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for some feedback cake, I guess taste is where some view and some don't.

Yeah, no shower over the bath, however there is an en suite with shower with shower cubicle, so didn't feel the need when we moved in,small bedroom has a full sized day bed in it already, so would probobly look a similar size with a bed in it as it does now. Yes, but of bamboo screen around decked area, but there to prevent dogs jumping from the decking into the neighbours garden, not because of an eye sore. Chicken wire, yeah, easy way to stop dogs from ripping up plants, used to separate parts of garden. Guess our taste isn't gonna be for everyone, but then again, how hard is it to walk into a house that is perfect for you?

Get more4less, agree, thought the master bedroom in that house was a bit on the small side too,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure