Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2015

Comments

• ive been to vegas 3 times and stayed at mgm grand twice , the hotel and excalibur , just booked to go back in nov with a vegas virgin so booked the excalibur as its cheap and i think its in a good location
    ok it may not be centre strip but im happy with where it is
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    n0785 wrote: »
    Thank you, read about that on this site this morning and have started playing :)

Will do research on excalibur now, looking for a hotel with good nightlife and buzz about it for us.

Maybe better at Planet Hollywood, that has a young vibe and is more central

Cosmopolitan would be my number 1 suggestion though for young couples, has great day and night life but is more expensive

Excalibur has lots of kids as it is geared towards a more family market
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    I agree that Excalibur and good nightlife don't really go together but also don't really think it matters much where you stay in that respect, if budget is tight and a less expensive hotel helps leave more spending money for other things then maybe it works. It was where we stayed our first several trips (admittedly not in many years) and it was just fine for us...would we stay there now? No, not with reasonable comps at properties we prefer...would I stay there now if it was comped and nothing else was? Probably yes.

I do think Cosmo would be high on the list for a younger crowd and buzz about it...we are old and not interested in buzz but we like it too. :) It's good value relative to some other properties, we think...but it just depends on what sort of budget is in play.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    stoneman wrote: »
    It's flipping cold here at the moment. 10 degree below the monthly average. But I'd rather be cold in Vegas than warm in Nottingham.
    Mind it makes the morning run more enjoyable
    How did you get to the hotel? Just wondering.
  • stoneman
    stoneman Posts: 4,521 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pebblesmax wrote: »
    How did you get to the hotel? Just wondering.
    We hired a car in the end. $29 returned it the next day by taking the one we had booked already along so no cab fare back. As it happened we would have probably been alright in a normal cab. There were no lines at the rank at T3, taxi marshal said they had to charge normal fare and it only took us about 25 minutes from the car rental facility to the hotel, Swenson and Koval had a bit of traffic hold up but not as much as I anticipated. This was at 8pm. Spent the night propping up the sports book bar in Tuscany then going back to Platinum to watch the fireworks from the pool area with free champagne.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We've spent many evenings propping up that very bar.

I'm glad it was easier than you expected.
  • hi everyone, I've populated and tweaked the front page of the thread now... I've updated a few bits and pieces, and will continue to do so for a few days :)

I'd be grateful if anyone has anything to add/update about the following to make sure they're accurate, as I haven't any experience of these:

- car hire
    - myvegas / social rewards
  • couple of things which might be of interest which I've just come across:

thomas cook will be starting direct flight to LAS from Stansted in Summer 2015.

virgin atlantic have recently updated their seat selection pages, when you log in to your future flights. have just done this for our trip in March (not LAS), and you can now select exit row seats and extra leg room seats. These cost £40pp per journey, standard seat selection is £25.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 4 January 2015 at 4:58PM
    couple of things which might be of interest which I've just come across:

virgin atlantic have recently updated their seat selection pages, when you log in to your future flights. have just done this for our trip in March (not LAS), and you can now select exit row seats and extra leg room seats. These cost £40pp per journey, standard seat selection is £25.

Standard seat selection is still free if you wait till the 60 day mark.

It wasnt a month or 2 ago but has changed again recently

EDIT the free seat selection at 60 days is if ticket was booked before 12/11/14

EDIT EDIT

£400 from Stansted in Aug inc 23kg luggage and meal, very tempted
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite

We live relatively close to STN so had a look, at the moment it looks like they are only offering flights on Mondays and only in July and August but will keep an eye as it would be quite handy though we have never flown TC.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure