Best service for films

I have a long term illness which pretty much confines me to home, especially in the evening. Before this, I used to love going to the cinema but haven't been for over 4 years now (and probably not in the foreseeable future) so I've missed a lot of films. I was wondering about getting Netflix but one of my neighbours reckons that Sky is better for fairly recent films.

Anyone know different (or can recommend another service) ?

Thanks

Comments

• GTR_King
    GTR_King Posts: 1,788
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Have you tried now TV?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,993
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Having had/still have most of these, I'd say NOW TV or Sky for more recent films.

Amazon Prime or Netflix for older/not as well known films and TV series

All except Sky are monthly contracts and offer free trials so why not try them all!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 January 2018 at 12:55PM
    Its pretty much as the previous poster mentioned. Netflix for older films, the more obscure films and Netflix in house produced TV series, same with Amazon, Now TV for more recent films and TV boxsets.

In actual fact Now TV you can also get TV series from sky Atlantic eg The Tunnel.

The good thing is you cancel/restart these at any time.

I dont know of any other option.
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone. Yes, think I'll start with some free trials ... ! :beer:
  • Definitely recommend trying out Amazon, NOW TV, and Netflix :)
    Debt-free by January 1st, 2019.
    £4905.87/£5124 - as of 24/03/18
  • Corona wrote: »
    I have a long term illness which pretty much confines me to home, especially in the evening. Before this, I used to love going to the cinema but haven't been for over 4 years now (and probably not in the foreseeable future) so I've missed a lot of films. I was wondering about getting Netflix but one of my neighbours reckons that Sky is better for fairly recent films.

Anyone know different (or can recommend another service) ?

Thanks

What do you have at the moment? Sky/Virgin/Freeview etc etc?
  • What do you have at the moment? Sky/Virgin/Freeview etc etc?

Just Freeview.
  • I have netflix and Amazon and find amazon poor for selection I really only got it for prime free delivery and Grand tour. Beauty of netflix I can share with 3 other people so my daughter, friend and MIL use it occasionally
  • Corona wrote: »
    Just Freeview.

If it's got the Netflix app on it then I'd go for that as the easiest and fairly cheap service.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Price-wise, the three services aren't the same.

Netflix has 3 levels of subscription, depending on number of devices and streaming quality. The highest sub level (HDR) is £9.99 pm.

Now TV has 4 different content passes for different Genres. Movies costs £9.99 pm and Entertainment costs £7.99pm. You can pick and choose freely from the 4 passes month-by-month.

If you have no existing equipment capable of providing access to these services, then Now TV would be cheapest to get up and running with (Asda has an offer at the moment for a Box + 1 month Movies for £15).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure