Orlando hotels - opinions on location?

Hello all,

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any recommendations for hotels to stay in Orlando this summer - I have never been, but knowing the US, I know that there are some beautiful resorts that are a million miles from anywhere!

We aren't going with children so we aren't really interested in staying in one of the parks (although we will definitely visit) so our thoughts are with staying somewhere on international drive - would just like to be able to walk to somewhere and get breakfast in the morning without being a 3 day camel ride away!

If anyone has stayed somewhere in this area and has any thoughts or opinions of hotels they have stayed at or heard about, that would be great. Its our honeymoon so we have a decent budget set aside.

Thanks!

MM

Comments

• If you are not driving then I-drive is a good location with a host of hotels,restaurants and shopping malls.
    I-Ride (bus) goes up and down the drive and tickets are cheap.
  • Backbiter
    Backbiter Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I've stayed on i-drive several times. Every time the area between Sand Lake rd and Universal seems to decline further, so I'd recommend the area south of Sand Lake towards Pointe Orlando, which has loads of restaurants and bars as well as plenty of hotels.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Visit https://www.thedibb.co.uk
    For all things disney ( and advice where to stay )
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • If you have a driving licence then I would strongly recommend hiring a car...it can be quite scary driving there for the first time but after a hour or so you would be fine...having to rely on bus’s etc limits you quite a lot and you will miss out on other areas..iv never stay on I drive but it’s rammed with places to eat.

Iv always stayed in Kissimmee radisson. Hope you have a good holiday I’m due to go in June
  • I am going in May and Staying at the Rosen Inn on I-Drive as it seems to be in a great location and is very cheap! My sister stayed a couple of years ago and recommended it.

This is our honeymoon!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g34515-d87721-Reviews-Rosen_Inn-Orlando_Florida.html
  • Bodders11
    Bodders11 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando was great for me.
  • Trina90
    Trina90 Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We are going there for our Honeymoon in May!

We are staying at Sonesta Suites, which is on International Drive. We knew we didn't really want to drive so we chose somewhere that seemed in the middle of everything. They have a complimentary shuttle, aswell as bus stops nearby. It is within walking distance of shops and restaurants too.
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000 2021: £51,195 2023: MORTGAGE FREE!
  • Backbiter wrote: »
    I've stayed on i-drive several times. Every time the area between Sand Lake rd and Universal seems to decline further, so I'd recommend the area south of Sand Lake towards Pointe Orlando, which has loads of restaurants and bars as well as plenty of hotels.
    Whilst it's certainly true that the area you mention was going downhill, it's currently on the up.
    Wet'nWild has been demolished and there are going to be 2 new Universal hotels built there and the International Palms hotel has been closed for major renovations for the past year.

It will take a while yet but that part of I-drive should improve considerably over the next couple of years.
  • I am going in May and Staying at the Rosen Inn on I-Drive as it seems to be in a great location and is very cheap! My sister stayed a couple of years ago and recommended it.

This is our honeymoon!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g34515-d87721-Reviews-Rosen_Inn-Orlando_Florida.html
    If you can, make sure to try and get a room that isn't facing the north end of I-drive.
    This is because Wet'n'Wild (which was just up the road) has gone and 2 new hotels are being built on the land.
    There is a bit of noise from the construction that's going on there. It's not too loud but can be noticeable at times.

I've stayed at the 6327 Rosen many times and have never hsd a problem and would recommend it to anyone.
  • Lady_S
    Lady_S Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    We are going in March and staying at Floridays which is on I Drive. We are driving, but, wanted somewhere near to good transport links.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure