Hot water tank

Pleasantly_Confused
Pleasantly_Confused Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 10 January 2018 at 4:02PM in Energy
Hope someone can help. We have just moved to a new property which is all electric. The hot water tank is the biggest I have ever seen, it's a Range Flowmax 210 litre tank with two separate immersion heaters (both of which are permanently switched on).

We don't have any instructions for the tank, i.e. whether or not both heaters have to be on or not. This tank does not feed any central heating. We don't use the bath at all due to mobility issues - we will be taking the bath out in the spring and we only use an electric shower.

Does anyone know anything about these water tanks? Does the size seem excessive to you?

Thank you.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just in case you do not have it, here are the instructions, using Google of course
    http://www.range-cylinders.co.uk/pdfs/technical/flowmax.pdf

A cursory glance shows there is a thermostat, I suggest if you are not using the bath then you either turn off or turn down to save electricity bill later
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Are you on Economy 7? I ask because we were, back when we had ancient Night Storage heaters. The tank did have two separate immersion heaters, one of which was manually switched by a hidden switch that we had to badger our landlord to find and show us. The other was controlled by a thermostat. We had no bath, just an electric shower. Our electric bills were horrendous then. Now we have had GCH for almost 2 years, our Dual Fuel charges are much more reasonable.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Thanks Farway - that's really useful.

Robiesere - No we're not on Economy 7. We used to be at our previous property and we did eventually get the hang of it. I am considering having the same here but also considering far infrared heating too. Unfortunately we don't have gas in this village so that's not an option for us.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Do you own or rent the property?

i.e. is it worth your while investing in energy efficient heating and insulation for this home, or should your Landlord be doing that?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If you are contemplating infra-red heating then it might be worth a look here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3930517
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Pleasantly_Confused
    Pleasantly_Confused Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 11 January 2018 at 11:10PM
    We own the property Rodders53 and you're right we do need to invest in some energy saving measures. There is so much conflicting evidence though!

Thanks for the link matelodave - that's an interesting read.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure