PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

fish pie - merged threads

Comments

• I made my first Fish Pie last night as illustrated in the Fish Pie thread a few days ago In particular I followed Arkonite_Babes fantastic recipe for beginners. :D The illustrated link to the recipe is :-

http://cook.dannemann.org.uk/cooking/mains/fishpie/

I guess it took no more than ½ hour from peeling the potatoes to serving it, so it’s quite quick to prepare and cook, very, very tasty and of course really healthy too. It’s quite filling as well so I would think it’s a great winter dish for hungry kids and adults. :rolleyes:

The cheese topping I think is essential – makes all the difference. I used strong cheddar myself but any cheese would be good depending on taste. I would have put a sliced tomato on top too but I didn’t have one left in the fridge. :p I tend to overestimate quantities when cooking and I would think my Fish Pie would be more than sufficient for three or four adults. I estimate the Old Style costs work out at no more than £2.50 – the cost of the fish is the big variable in this recipe. Here’s some really wonderful piccys….. :D

Ready to go into the oven…..hooray… :p

FishPie_01.jpg

Straight out of the oven… smells delicious… :D

FishPie_02.jpg

Mmmmm….Yummmy….. hee hee…burp… :p

FishPie_03.jpg
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    :) So a good plaice for your fish pie recipe would be the fish pie thread. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • intel
    intel Posts: 6,404 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    @GreenFingers

Nice pie......PMSL..... :rotfl:

Please dont take offence I just found it very comical...
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Last time I priced this dish up, £ for lbs salmon was quite a bit cheaper than cod, haddock or plaice:confused: I think the nicest fish is smoked haddock or smoked cod but pretty much anything works well. For a white fish I like to use pureed sweetcorn instead of white/parsley sauce, and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard with cod works wonders:drool:

HTH

PS : if you have leftovers, add an egg, a bit more mashed potato if necessary to stretch it, a chopped onion or leak & shape into patties & fry : Voila! fishcakes;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lillibet wrote:
    Last time I priced this dish up, £ for lbs salmon was quite a bit cheaper than cod, haddock or plaice:confused: I think the nicest fish is smoked haddock or smoked cod but pretty much anything works well. For a white fish I like to use pureed sweetcorn instead of white/parsley sauce, and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard with cod works wonders:drool:

HTH

I like to make fish pie with salmon because I think its cheaper and more meaty than some fish.....I usually buy fish when it's reduced and freeze it until I have enough to make a pie. My fish pie recipe is here.

Pink
  • Greenfingers,

Nice to see how well your fish pie turned out, glad the link was of use to you ;)
  • I have added the link to the danneman website to the Mega Index for future use ;)
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I found some prawns and some haddock lurking at the bottom of my freezer and fancied making fisherman's pie for dinner tomorrow - only thing is I don't know how! I did look in the recipe thread and couldn't find any, i thought I saw one recently :confused:
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ingredients:
    One to One-and-a-half (450-575g) cooked fish. It can be either smoked fish (such as haddock) or most white fish. White fish and shelled fish such as prawns make good companions too.
    Three quarters of a pint/15 fluid ounces (450 ml or two cups (scant) or one US pint which is different from a UK pint!) of white sauce.
    One pound (450g or about four cups) mashed/creamed potato
    Two medium onions, finely chopped
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Grated cheese
    Butter
    Method:
    Sauté the onions until soft. Flake the fish and mix with the onions and white sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in an oven-proof dish. Cover with the mashed potato, dot with butter and sprinkle with cheese (quantity depends on personal preference).
    Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400F (200C or Gas Mark 7) until brown. Serve with green vegetables.
    Pawpurrs x ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport