Cost of a will

Options
My partner and I got married just before Christmas and we are about to sort out our wills.
We both have a daughter from previous relationships (both adults), and a fairly large estate ( £2.5m plus ). We will be leaving most to our daughters but given the size of the estate I assume this will be a more complex type of will. Through my employer I am able to access a solicitor to produce “complex” mirror wills for £600 inc VAT, does this sound reasonable ?

Comments

• sassyblue
    sassyblue Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it sounds expensive, I work in a solicitors and mirror wills are half that amount, however I live in the countryside where things are generally cheaper, if you live in a city it could be about right? When you mention 'complex' I wouldn't say the amount of your estate makes it complex either.

Happy moneysaving all.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you plan on leaving everything to your wife (and vice versa) and hope that they leave something in their will to the other partner's child?
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    For an estate that size it sounds peanuts, but I would not use them unless they are local to you and you can actually have face to face meetings.

Are you taking any professional advice about the very large IHT bill your estates would be hit with if you were both run over by a buss tomorrow?
  • freddie2
    freddie2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Do you plan on leaving everything to your wife (and vice versa) and hope that they leave something in their will to the other partner's child?

No, we consider both girls ours so we want to ensure they the benefit equally from the inheritance and do not want to leave that to chance
  • freddie2
    freddie2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    For an estate that size it sounds peanuts, but I would not use them unless they are local to you and you can actually have face to face meetings.

Are you taking any professional advice about the very large IHT bill your estates would be hit with if you were both run over by a buss tomorrow?

This is the company concerned. https://www.james-mckenzie.co.uk , face to face interviews are included.
    Yes currently getting all our finance / tax affairs in order post marriage!
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,625 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    freddie2 wrote: »
    This is the company concerned. https://www.james-mckenzie.co.uk , face to face interviews are included.
    Yes currently getting all our finance / tax affairs in order post marriage!

They are not solicitors, but unregulated will writers, please find a local solisitor instead.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    sassyblue wrote: »
    I think it sounds expensive, I work in a solicitors and mirror wills are half that amount, however I live in the countryside where things are generally cheaper, if you live in a city it could be about right? When you mention 'complex' I wouldn't say the amount of your estate makes it complex either.

They require multi generational IHT planning and something a little more complex than a basic IPDI trust.

Ask your place if they will do them for £300.

At this level(>2m) you don't qualify for all the RNRB if not done right.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I's suggest that you arrange to met with a local solicitor, preferably one who is a member of STEP.

As with many other things in life, you get what you pay for. If you want advice about tax and estate planning it will cost you more than if you literally just want a basic will drawn up.

Given that you have a large estate and children to consider, you need to make sure that you get proper advice from a regulated, professional adviser.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure