Battery drain - car with radio on, ignition on & off. New radio wiring

13»

Comments

• jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Sadly it does sound like the installer has batted you away.

They should be able to fix it easily. In any case I expect the CANBUS only carries the steering remote control, the power will be separate.
  • They should be able to fix it easily. In any case I expect the CANBUS only carries the steering remote control, the power will be separate.

The power feed will be separate, but some OEM stereos have a connection to the CANBUS circuit to control that power feed, which cannot be used by after-market stereos for the same purpose.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Getting it to work as the original is not going to happen, the original fit used the CANBUS signal to tell the radio to use the permanent 12v to stay on until it told it otherwise and aftermarkets don't have that facility. The Astra generally picks up the switched supply from the cig lighter connection and over the years it seems that may vary as to when it is switched on / off - ignition, aux or when the key is removed.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Step back and consider the function of the original system. The car has a facility to allow it to send power to the radio and that radio will switch off after say 40 minutes if the ignition is off, but can be switched on again, and will be switched off when the ignition is switched off and switched on when the ignition is switched on. It is quite a common feature.

The original radio either:
    1) Has a method of detecting accessory feed is live and has a live feed as well.
    2) Accepts a signal from the car network (e.g. CANBUS) and is controlled by that.
    3) Does not control the power, the car controls the power.

I don't think it sounds like no. 3.

If the replacement radio has a feature to work with accessory power off or with CANBUS, then it would be documented in the installation instructions.

The choice appears to be that the installer has not installed a compatible radio correctly, the radio is not compatible with the car and another model would support the CANBUS, or there is a way to set up the radio buried in the instructions.

I would certainly check out the installation instructions and the operating instructions to see what power options there are.
  • molerat wrote: »
    Getting it to work as the original is not going to happen.
    Well all i can say to this is that you (everyone who's posted on this thread) can't ALL be right then. Not possible if some of you are saying this and some are saying that. So some of you must be wrong.

Which ones, who knows. I don't.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well all i can say to this is that you (everyone who's posted on this thread) can't ALL be right then. Not possible if some of you are saying this and some are saying that. So some of you must be wrong.

Having gone back and spotted your info in the thread, eBay has a shed load of compatible radios for the Astra H. Your model is not Canbus ready. Alpine themselves sell Canbus adapters. There will be third party adapters.

I am sure your radio can be made to work as you wish. Whether you want to pay the money to get that to happen is another matter.
  • molerat
    edited 12 January 2018 at 3:20PM

OK, as the above post, Getting it to work as the original is not going to happen without additional expense, is £60 - £100 worth what it will do.

Have you answered about the aux position which would be the norm ?
  • Sounds fair enough to me.

We wanted a fairly specific head unit to be honest.

We wanted a single DIN to start off with. One that offered good bluetooth and having experienced the CDE-103BT and the CDE-126BT versions myself i knew they were good. We'd experienced calls through a Sony unit (model number i forget) and the clarity wasn't as good.
    After that we wanted iPod connectivity but at the rear. Not just so you could connect the iPod but so that it would also charge the iPod (or iPhone).

All this kept whittling it down further & further.
    molerat wrote: »

Have you answered about the aux position which would be the norm ?
    To be honest with you i don't even know what an aux position is.

To me there's the no key in the barrel position.
    There's the insert your key position.
    There's the turn it once position (can't remember if any lights come on at this point).
    There's the turn it a bit further so your dash lights up position
    And then there's the start the car position.

Which one of these is called the 'aux' position i don't know.
  • molerat
    edited 13 January 2018 at 12:02PM
    The turn it once position, between key in and ignition lights on. It would be normal for the radio to be on in that position but it depends on where the radio switched live was picked up from.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To be honest with you i don't even know what an aux position is.

To me there's the no key in the barrel position.
    There's the insert your key position.
    There's the turn it once position (can't remember if any lights come on at this point).

That one...
    There's the turn it a bit further so your dash lights up position

Engine running
    And then there's the start the car position.

As you say, starter.
    Which one of these is called the 'aux' position i don't know.

The one that turns auxiliary circuits on, without the engine running.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure