This Duo's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dear Duo

I have just read through your diary and wanted to say I am going to be one of your cheerleaders on the side lines.

Just a couple of observations

Cycling - very impressed and I bet your body will thank you even if your aching muscles don't. I know it won't help your budget at all but I think you should record how many times you achieve it. Then you will see how much you have saved on parking which will help encourage you more.

It sounds you are running on empty and that's when it becomes hard to stick to your intentions. Do you have a stash of saved up toiletries etc that you could perhaps use to have a couple of pamper evenings.

Your birthday - please plan at least a little treat for yourself, on or near the day. Even if it takes an extra couple of weeks to get debt free.

What do you do for you? Self care sounds sounds indulgent but it is vital. Make a list of things that make you feel better and use it. You can have all sorts on the list and have one that includes cheap treats for you and your little one.

Good luck
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    117pauline wrote: »
    Dear Duo

I have just read through your diary and wanted to say I am going to be one of your cheerleaders on the side lines.

Just a couple of observations

Cycling - very impressed and I bet your body will thank you even if your aching muscles don't. I know it won't help your budget at all but I think you should record how many times you achieve it. Then you will see how much you have saved on parking which will help encourage you more.

It sounds you are running on empty and that's when it becomes hard to stick to your intentions. Do you have a stash of saved up toiletries etc that you could perhaps use to have a couple of pamper evenings.

Your birthday - please plan at least a little treat for yourself, on or near the day. Even if it takes an extra couple of weeks to get debt free.

What do you do for you? Self care sounds sounds indulgent but it is vital. Make a list of things that make you feel better and use it. You can have all sorts on the list and have one that includes cheap treats for you and your little one.

Good luck
    Pauline

Thank you for such a lovely response, I do actually have a section on my budget spreadsheet where I have input the cost of everything for the bike vs the savings on car parking and fuel, I'm determined to make it pay for itself within a few months which it should do, even only cycling twice a week should save enough to pay for everything by the first few weeks back to uni after Christmas.

I do need to do something soon for myself, I feel like my emotions are all over the place at the moment and I feel a little broken, unfortunately I really don't know where to begin in repairing myself other than to just keep swimming, I'm sure I will get there soon. Thank you again, your words mean a lot and have perfect timing.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So your task tomorrow to come up with five things that will start your self care list. Just something simple but has to be pleasurable.

When your head is scrambled sometimes anything is better than nothing. Something small, just five minutes even will start you down the self care route. Just treat yourself as you would your best friend. We tend to listen to that nasty self sabotage voice rather than treating ourselves with care.

Being outside is something that gives me peace and helps me deal with the world.

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Good advice from Pauline :) You're doing really well and I know how great that makes you feel, but make time to rest and recuperate as well.

A good call not to cycle if you're feeling light headed.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Tea&Kittens
    Options
    Be kind to yourself, Duo :)
    Excellent advice from Pauline!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Thank you all, I took the day of uni today (not missing anything too important) hoping this would help towards caring for myself, going to spend the evening getting on with lots of work once I have tackled the house stuff today, I have a huge to do list and I'm hoping by completing it I will feel a little better.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Finally done some surveys on PA and I'm already up to around £6 in 1 day, so much better than swagbucks! Also gained another £11.84 today through ebay and swagbucks, another £5 swagbucks voucher also on the way. NSD today too! Going to put all extra income into my budget so its not so tight.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    That's brilliant DFD :T
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    117pauline wrote: »
    So your task tomorrow to come up with five things that will start your self care list. Just something simple but has to be pleasurable.

When your head is scrambled sometimes anything is better than nothing. Something small, just five minutes even will start you down the self care route. Just treat yourself as you would your best friend. We tend to listen to that nasty self sabotage voice rather than treating ourselves with care.

Being outside is something that gives me peace and helps me deal with the world.

Take care
    Pauline

Its a little late but I've been trying to work on self care, yesterday and today I took the day off uni, I'm feeling really stressed about uni at the moment and feel much better for taking a little time out, I have got my head around so much more being at home than I do at lectures.

Had a nice long bath this morning and went for a walk yesterday to clear my head. I've also decided that me and the boy deserve some good quality time together so I am going to come up with a nice treat for tomorrow, not too costly and I'm not entirely sure what just yet but I'm really missing him at the moment and some good time together will really help.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Total spends left: £447.61, this doesn't yet include what I have earned from PA but does include my swagbucks voucher that came through today and yesterdays amazon voucher. I'm actually feeling extremely proud of myself for having spent so little in this first week. I'm currently living out of my freezer as much as I can which is really saving me having to spend any money on food, I think whats really helping me right now my target for NSDs, I'm feeling really determined and it is stopping me completely from spending mindlessly.

My budget will go down a fair bit tomorrow as I need fuel and I am planning a little treat for me and small D, not too expensive but something, he deserves a treat with how well he is getting on at school and how he has taken care of me and been extremely kind to me over the past two weekends. He is such a wonderful child and I feel truly blessed that he is my son.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure