Pet Plan Insurance

Options
Morning All,

My cat is currently insured with Pet Plan, her policy runs out on 23rd November and I haven't renewed simply because I found the same cover cheaper with Marks & Spencer.

Now on Wednesday we had to take the cat the vets, to cut a long story short we think she has been bitten on her back end so they had to sedate her and put her to sleep. I am going to be claiming on my insurance, she needs to go back next Wednesday for a check up then hopefully be discharged, I will then send the claim in.

My concern is her policy ends on Thursday is there any reason Pet Plan would say I can't claim because the policy has ended even thou the incident happened while she was covered with them?

The vets are going to send all the forms off for me but said they wont do this until she is discharged.

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Miss_$ wrote: »
    Morning All,

My cat is currently insured with Pet Plan, her policy runs out on 23rd November and I haven't renewed simply because I found the same cover cheaper with Marks & Spencer.

Now on Wednesday we had to take the cat the vets, to cut a long story short we think she has been bitten on her back end so they had to sedate her and put her to sleep. I am going to be claiming on my insurance, she needs to go back next Wednesday for a check up then hopefully be discharged, I will then send the claim in.

My concern is her policy ends on Thursday is there any reason Pet Plan would say I can't claim because the policy has ended even thou the incident happened while she was covered with them?

The vets are going to send all the forms off for me but said they wont do this until she is discharged.

Thanks
    Sarah

Unless you told Pet Plan differently your insurance will end on the 23 November and your pet would be covered up until that point. Also they will go by the date the animal was first admitted for the issues. However give Pet plan a ring and seek advice from them.
  • EmmyLou30
    Options
    Don't forget that the new policy with M&S will now need notifying that you've made a claim as you took the insurance with them out on the basis that cat hadn't been bitten and had treatment.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Best thing for you is to ask petpal to uncancel your insurance and continue paying it and then cancel the M&S insurance.

With pet insurance cheapest isn't always best.
    The quality of policies varies a lot. You need to consider pre-existing conditions, everything that your pet has suffered up to the start of the new policy would be excluded from the policy.
    You also need to consider if the new policy is a lifelong policy, or if new conditions are excluded upon renewal.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Petplan will only pay for any treatment given up to the date the policy ends. You may need to ask your vet for a bill up to that date. Remember, you will have your exces to pay.

Any treatment after that date will not be covered either by Petplan or by M&S, as it will now be a pre e xisting condition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure