Consolidating Debt - New Overdraft Charges

Recently I've been stung badly by the introduction of Lloyds Banks new planned overdraft charges - 1p for every £7 you're indebted with them too. I've been working on reducing it over time and using surplus incomes I reduced it to £1600 from it's height of £2500 around 4 months ago. It's a curse of mine that arose from being naive with money in my student days and I currently earn National Living Wage.

These new charges will now set me back approximately £85 per month in just interest alone, up from around £40. I've looked around at personal loans and if approved I could (theoretically) borrow £1350 and repay £90 per month on an 18 month term, which would basically allow me to get rid of the overdraft and essentially cancel out the perpetual interest with only an additional £5 per month outlay overall - yet I'll actually be putting dents into the debt rather than treading water with interest.

I'm only 25 and finished university a year ago, so my credit rating isn't exactly be pristine. Not to mention I've just returned from 5 months in Ireland, so my bank statements won't show consistent income for that period (as I had to use a bank account over there for income in Euros). It's also why I didn't learn about it until I returned otherwise I would have prepared before this (I USE PAPERLESS FOR A REASON LLOYDS!!!)

Even though it makes complete economical sense for me, what's the best approach to take? Go to Lloyds first? even though it'll be less profitable for them to loan to me as the original debt is with them - yet being my main account they hold more details on my income and spending.

Or go to a competitor? (I also have a Barclays account, but that's only been used as an occasional secondary account).

Are you also more likely to get approval if you go in branch than applying online? Considering it's not really an additional debt, but one that replaces it, but with better outcomes - a computer might not get that.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I certainly would try Lloyds. The charges work out an equivalent of around 50% APR so even an APR of 20% would be cheaper.
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    While you are taking to Lloyds it would make sense to tell them to reduce your overdraft facilty, once youve paid off the debt, to say £250 .

Rob
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    I certainly would try Lloyds. The charges work out an equivalent of around 50% APR so even an APR of 20% would be cheaper.

Assuming the overdraft debt is currently £1600 (rather than £2500) then I calculate the APR as 86% - even more reason to take the loan if possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure