PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Taken For a Mug

A year ago I had to give up my job and move to look after my dad following his 3rd cancer op, around the same time someone I knew was looking for somewhere to rent following a string of bad luck with renting.
She wasn't sure a flat was right for her as she needed somewhere quiet to live due to her illness, so we agreed she could live there on the rent a room scheme for 6 months with my belongings kept in my bedroom during this time, then if all was well we'd formalise it with an AST on the 6 month anniversary.
At this point, she said she was happy to stay despite issues in the block which I thought would have caused the end of our agreement. However it took her 3 weeks to come back to me with a long list of amendments she wanted in the standard agreement, we negotiated and she eventually signed a back dated single occupancy agreement.
All seemed fine for 2 months and then she emailed asking us to pay £30ish for parts so she could repair the shower, we advised we would send someone or to assess the damage and undertake any necesaary repairs, half hour later we had another email from her saying the police had advised her that due to the victimisation and harassment she was experiencing she should vacate the property and wanted to end her tenancy with immediate effect.
This is the first we'd heard of problems she was having so asked for further details advising we would need to report the allegations to the council of they were council tenants. We didn't get a response to this, what I did get was a Health and Safety Executive notice that my property failed their inspection on a number of points and they needed to be rectified within a month, 3 days after that I got a letter from Shelter Cymru advising the tenant was handing in her notice but due to the reported break down in communication, any correspondence would have to go through them.
On Wednesday of last week she failed to pay her final months rent.
Now I am faced with an unrealistic repair schedule for work which seems to relate to a HMO rather than purpose built single tenancy property, solicitor bills to liaise with Shelter Cymru and the loss of a months rent and all this before I see the state of the property.
There seems to be no assistance for landlords like she's receiving as a tenant, I am seriously doubting that it was the landlords causing the problems in her previous tenancies and I seem to have been scammed by a professional.
Is anyone aware of where I can get advice/assistance as a landlord?
No need to point out my naivety or stupidity, I just need some help towards a solution please.

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Is this Wales?
    Are you registered and licensed under Rent Smart?
    https://www.rentsmart.gov.wales/en/

You cannot operate Rent-A-Room if you are not resident, but that seems to be the least of your problems.
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    ...so we agreed she could live there on the rent a room scheme for 6 months with my belongings kept in my bedroom during this time, then if all was well we'd formalise it with an AST on the 6 month anniversary.
    Is anyone aware of where I can get advice/assistance as a landlord?
    No need to point out my naivety or stupidity, I just need some help towards a solution please.

My advice is to play by the rules in future.
  • yes I'm fully compliant with RSW...the flat was my home until she signed the tenacy a few months ago but she had use of one of the bedrooms, the lounge, bathroom and kitchen.
  • what rules are those exact?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What did the HSE say the property failed on?

Are you a member of a landlord association?
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    yes I'm fully compliant with RSW...

You can't be, otherwise you would not have failed a HHSRS inspection.
  • non compliant doors and single electric sockets behind cupboards (which weren't behind cupboards in March)
    Not yet - do you have one you recommend?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 July 2017 at 5:15PM
    yes I'm fully compliant with RSW...the flat was my home until she signed the tenacy a few months ago but she had use of one of the bedrooms, the lounge, bathroom and kitchen.
    but it was not your main residence, you were not the resident LL. You did however have a right of access to your own room and access to the shared common parts. That makes it potentially an HMO, subject to the specific rules of your specific council.

if you are not in a LL association then no one else is going to help you for free. You are running a letting business, and like all businesses the help is available to the consumer, not the business.

I sympathise with your predicament, as your tenant has clearly given a one sided story to various bodies about which you know no details and so will struggle to repost.

write off the unpaid rent, make sure any repairs that really need doing are done and make sure you are compliant with the Welsh tenancy standards - whatever they are? Ask the LL association you will now be joining?
  • not a HMO if a landlord shares with up to 2 other occupants
    no idea which assoc to join - any recommendations?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You weren't a resident landlord though. Your main residence became where your father lives when you moved in with him.

Have you done the mandatory training required by Rent Smart Wales?

How about joining the National Landlords Association?

https://www.landlords.org.uk/in-my-area/wales

There might be other associations local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure