PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council House Purchase - help

Options

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    This is a lot of work for me to make hardly any money - in possibly years and years time.
    Practically a saint aren't you, bravely self-sacrificing to buy your mother a house that can later be sold at great profit :rotfl:
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 June 2017 at 1:34PM
    Options

This is a lot of work for me to make hardly any money - in possibly years and years time.

It is an investment, and you know it.

Reasons to not do this
    :-

You appear to be using your mother for your own gain- a get rich scheme for you off the back of an old lady. If your mum wanted to be a home owner, she would have made this happen herself, years ago

Lack of social conscious - further depleting the already low council house stock, in order to cash in. Your own family has benefitted MASSIVELY for decades, of lower priced rent, in council housing, now you want to remove the option for other people, don't seem fair does it?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Of course it's in her best interest. A house that she doesn't have to pay for in a few years (saving her £350 a month). Nobody has put across any negative that would be worth not buying it in my opinion. (broken boiler etc.)

A house that you own mortgage free is categorically not 'a house that she doesn't have to pay for'.

If your main motivation is to save her that rent payment, why don't you just give her £350 a month then she gets to keep all her security and doesn't have to take any risks.
  • charlesworth82
    Options
    Practically a saint aren't you, bravely self-sacrificing to buy your mother a house that can later be sold at great profit :rotfl:

What great profit? how much do you think these council houses are worth! ooo yeah lets split this 30k profit between the 4 kids .....

she's lived in the place over 40 years - don't think she's in this to make some quick cash!
    ‘It ain’t over 'til it's over’
  • charlesworth82
    Options
    A house that you own mortgage free is categorically not 'a house that she doesn't have to pay for'.

If your main motivation is to save her that rent payment, why don't you just give her £350 a month then she gets to keep all her security and doesn't have to take any risks.

She doesn't have to pay any mortgage/rent - which you know is what I meant.

So I can pay £350 a month until she dies (maybe 30 years) or £350 for 7 years..... yeah makes sense paying over 100k more. The house could fall down and be built twice for almost that.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    She doesn't have to pay any mortgage/rent - which you know is what I meant.

So I can pay £350 a month until she dies (maybe 30 years) or £350 for 7 years..... yeah makes sense paying over 100k more. The house could fall down and be built twice for almost that.

Why are you ignoring the most valuable parts of what she has now? She has a secure home for life! She will never have to worry about any maintenance! She will never have to worry about how she'll manage as she gets older or if she has special health or mobility needs, she will not need to be dependent on you for every need!

If you really have your mother's best interests at heart, you won't assist her in throwing all that away for a few quid.
  • charlesworth82
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    It is an investment, and you know it.

Reasons to not do this
    :-

You appear to be using your mother for your own gain- a get rich scheme for you off the back of an old lady. If your mum wanted to be a home owner, she would have made this happen herself, years ago

Lack of social conscious - further depleting the already low council house stock, in order to cash in. Your own family has benefitted MASSIVELY for decades, of lower priced rent, in council housing, now you want to remove the option for other people, don't seem fair does it?

I agree on the social conscious which is really my only reason I don't want to do this - money wise if i did benefit it really is for hardly any money (especially between 4 children). She's 100% going to do it and I was trying to actually help out! I'm sure without my help she will still find a way
  • charlesworth82
    Options
    Why are you ignoring the most valuable parts of what she has now? She has a secure home for life! She will never have to worry about any maintenance! She will never have to worry about how she'll manage as she gets older or if she has special health or mobility needs, she will not need to be dependent on you for every need!

If you really have your mother's best interests at heart, you won't assist her in throwing all that away for a few quid.

My mother will 100% live with me when she is unable to live alone - although we're both hoping this is a long way off :)
  • charlesworth82
    Options
    I didn't actually come to debate about this (as I have no clue on council housing) but has opened my eyes on a few things, all of which I'll feed back.

She's been in the house a long time and has been thinking this over for a few years but only recently mentioned it to me.
  • Pricivius
    Pricivius Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In addition to the points raised above concerning what would happen if you lost your job, got sick or died, there's also the issue of divorce. Your share of the property would be an asset of the marriage and your wife/husband would be entitled to their share.

With so much uncertainty financially, model the repayments on an interest rate at 7% or higher and see how that looks.

A few things to ponder:

Are you going to hold the property as tenants in common or joint tenants? If tic, you need to have a think about mum's will, as well as your own, to figure out what shares you each own and where it would go on either your or her death.

If you're paying maintenance costs for mum, does this impact on the share of the property you own?

If the neighbour starts an expensive boundary dispute, will you pay or mum?

You may be at a disadvantage in years to come when you try to re-mortgage your own property because of your obligations to mum's mortgage - is this okay?

If mum moves a partner in to the house who devalues it with his DIY or redecoration efforts, what will you do?

Check the rules on selling within 5 years of purchase, just in case mum changes her mind, moves in with a partner or passes away - would you have an obligation to make up the shortfall if mum doesn't?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure