Highest Bank Compensation You've Received?

Hi All,

Just coming out of a battle with Halifax over a number of issues with their account including me not being able to access money, poor customer service, being hung up on by staff and complaints ignored etc. I was awarded £100 which was fair in my opinion although it did leave me with a poor view on the bank as a whole.

It just led me to wonder what issues others have had with banks (or indeed building societies) and what the highest amount of compensation you have received?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You might find that some are happy to repost stuff but your best bet will probably be to search the forum for terms like 'compensation', 'goodwill', 'gratia', 'complaint', etc, which should bring up a fair number of past threads....
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    I know someone who received £500 from Metro Bank. This was due to inconsistent information regarding cash withdrawals in Europe using a cash card, an hour on the phone and suggesting to call MasterCard in America to ask them if they could make an exception to allow him to withdraw cash using his card in Paris.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I would have to kill you if I told you.
  • sharpharp
    sharpharp Posts: 167 Forumite
    Over £650 and that was to settle because they were one step away from being hauled in by the Financial Ombudsman and this was to settle.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    sharpharp wrote: »
    Over £650 and that was to settle because they were one step away from being hauled in by the Financial Ombudsman and this was to settle.

That's a tremendous amount for a single payment, what happened here?
  • timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got £50 from Santander just for making an enquiry about my regular saver.
  • Outsider_83
    Outsider_83 Posts: 166 Forumite
    eskbanker wrote: »
    You might find that some are happy to repost stuff but your best bet will probably be to search the forum for terms like 'compensation', 'goodwill', 'gratia', 'complaint', etc, which should bring up a fair number of past threads....

Thanks for this, I've had a quick search, however I can't seem to find any thread relating to the subject with various people giving input.
    I know someone who received £500 from Metro Bank. This was due to inconsistent information regarding cash withdrawals in Europe using a cash card, an hour on the phone and suggesting to call MasterCard in America to ask them if they could make an exception to allow him to withdraw cash using his card in Paris.

Big payment for what was essentially a customer care issue?
    timmy963 wrote: »
    I got £50 from Santander just for making an enquiry about my regular saver.

Did the enquiry suggests problems with the Santander product?
  • timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did the enquiry suggests problems with the Santander product?

I made 2 payments of £200 in my regular saver on the same month due to confusion with my standing order.

I told them I removed the £200 as soon as I saw my error and asked them if that would be okay.

They apologised to me for an error that I made, gave me £50 as assured me that the account will be fine.
  • Weybridge78
    Weybridge78 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Big payment for what was essentially a customer care issue?
    ?

Yes well their mistake landed him stranded him abroad on his birthday, that's why.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    £250 from Nationwide for a delayed Tessa to Leeds and Holbeck and £250 from Leeds and Holbeck for losing the documents and resulting in delay, stress and confusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure