Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

1202122232426»

Comments

• nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So just cancelled during my free trial, and it seems to have gone okay. The initial call queue wasn't too bad - sometimes with these products where you have to phone to cancel you always get "due to unexpected call volumes", so was pleasantly surprised I got through in under a minute.

To anyone cancelling, be firm and say you want to cancel, be polite too as the call centre person is just doing their job and probably have to go through a script :). They will offer you additional free trial alerts, reiterating no cost but then ask to confirm last digits of your card - you need to again say you don't want the trial (unless you really do want to try it??) as I guess they are hoping that because its free people will take it up!

If you need a report and eligible for the free trial, then don't be afraid to try it. Cancelling is a bit of a hassle as you have to phone up, but so long as you are aware they will offer a 6-month alert trial that you need to turn down, then its simple enough.

Of course if you are not eligible, a £2 standard report is cheaper, unless you need your score as well as report, even though only you see the score not any lenders.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    nic_c wrote: »
    So just cancelled during my free trial, and it seems to have gone okay. The initial call queue wasn't too bad - sometimes with these products where you have to phone to cancel you always get "due to unexpected call volumes", so was pleasantly surprised I got through in under a minute.

Yes the waiting time wasn't long, maybe a minute for me.
    To anyone cancelling, be firm and say you want to cancel, be polite too as the call centre person is just doing their job and probably have to go through a script :). They will offer you additional free trial alerts, reiterating no cost but then ask to confirm last digits of your card - you need to again say you don't want the trial (unless you really do want to try it??) as I guess they are hoping that because its free people will take it up!

Agreed, didn't take long for me to get it cancelled.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can't cancel online, I think that's the gripe - you have to go through the hard sell

Makes sense that you cant cancel online, to be honest having to call wasn't a chore.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Makes sense that you cant cancel online, to be honest having to call wasn't a chore.
    Does it? Experian allow you to cancel online from within your account page. If you sign up online you should be able to cancel online too. Its only because by requiring to phone means they get the option to sell,especially a six-month free trial alert service. I'm sorry but if the alert comes up with a change, will they let you view what's changed, no you probably have to re-join for that nugget!

I've had free trials for other stuff where you have had to phone to cancel, and its usually involves a protracted sale talk. :(
  • Pablosammy
    Pablosammy Posts: 566 Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »

In what world does it make sense? It's purely their way of trying to make it awkward for you to cancel, and to give them an opportunity to retain your custom by offering the service for a cheaper price. It's really underhand.

They allow you to sign up online, so you should be able to cancel online, as you can with pretty much every other online subscription service I've ever used.
  • Rang the 0800 number - selected the options to cancel free subscription - thought I'd have to wait ages as it was mid afternoon but was answered immediately. There was a SOFT sell of one other product that I declined, then I was thanked and told I would receive an email confirming the cancellation.

So I got
    - a free credit rating
    - a free £7 from Quidco

easy cancellation

Well done Equifax
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts